Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I'm doing a scary thing. Support appreciated
Quote | Reply
Just hoping for the wise counsel of the wise womens... as many of you know, I've been babying an upper hamstring injury all fall. I can run easily but having spent several months with a niggle and managing it with PT, it seems time to get some imaging done and see what's going on - tendon, bursa, whatever.

Having an xray tomorrow, which I expect to come back clean, but is the first step in getting an MRI (which I expect to be useful).

Having the imaging done is scary because I'm scared of finding out I have, like, a torn tendon or something. I'm scared of the possibility of news that could feel devastating.

However, there's also the possibility that it's something more easily treated (e.g., bursitis could be fixed with a cortisone shot or platelet rich plasma or whatnot). Also, I have been very scared of trying to run fast for fear of winding up in pain or hurting something more. Knowing what it is can help me figure out what I can/cannot do.

I think I finally asked for the imaging because I'd like to get back to road racing and want to know what I can reasonably train for. But it's still all a bit scary. And I'm writing about it because that is a healthy way of dealing with feelings ;-)

thanks for listening.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I'm doing a scary thing. Support appreciated [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've got you, awesome lady <3

Always remember: knowledge is power.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: I'm doing a scary thing. Support appreciated [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fingers crossed for you.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: Dec 4, 19 23:44
Quote | Reply
hi Dr T --

I think you will find that your consultation will be more reassuring than worrying. Without it you can't really plan, and I find planning to be the best way to offset anxiety.

That said, once you get your medics' ok I would consider adding yoga or pilates to your routine if you don't do it already. the ligaments and tendons need regular flossing, just like your teeth do. All kinds of gunge piles up if the insertions aren't kept activated all through their range. I can't stand regular yoga but hot does the trick for me -- and it's a lot more fun than PT once you get cleared to do it.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm doing a scary thing. Support appreciated [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Anna; I thought of you this week when I started the 'how are you' thread because I realized we hadn't heard from you in awhile. I hope you're well, and I recall your DD was maybe starting a new school.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Knowing means answers and a plan. Not knowing is the giant abyss of worry and fear.

You've got this!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, hey. Just seeing this, sending positive vibes to your leg. And the rest of you.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also had an upper hamstring injury in 2004. It eventually (and I must clarify that it was years, not months) healed on its own without any treatment other than time.

If you don't like the options given, then opt for the least invasive and let yourself heal. More swimming and yoga or pilates and less running, unless you have access to one of these. Just a thought and I wish you well, whatever you choose to do.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: I'm doing a scary thing. Support appreciated [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is all helpful. Thanks womens.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fingers crossed for you that it's a good appointment and something easy to treat! As the other wise women have said, knowledge is power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a similar thing and have no idea what it is. Doing PT which seems to help. Can’t wait to hear what you learn and hoping for something minor! Knowledge is power! Best wishes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking of you, Dr. TC.

I'd you ever need an ear on injury or recovery, know that I've spent more time on the disabled lists than at the finish lines and would be happy to listen.

Love and strength.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How are you, Tigerchik? I hope it went well. : )
Quote Reply
Re: I'm doing a scary thing. Support appreciated [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! I haven't gotten the xray yet. It's on the plan for tomorrow. In the meantime, I've been doing pretty well, and writing this and reading all your words was very helpful.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I have had this injury for what seems like forever. I have made the most progress through a really good, knowledgeable PT who understands athletes and running. Unfortunately, this type of injury will linger forever if you don't treat it properly and/or try to run through it....Hamstring injuries are glitchy and quirky and mine injury comes and goes alot. Good luck! Keeping fingers crossed that this isn't serious!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope all goes well for your xray today, Dr. TC! Thinking of you :o)
Quote Reply
Re: I'm doing a scary thing. Support appreciated [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks. I just came back from getting them taken. It all went well in terms of not feeling anxious (had expected to) and I'm kicking myself for not having gone in last week. Oh well. Done!

just to say it again talking here has been really helpful.

Quote Reply
Re: I'm doing a scary thing. Support appreciated [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x rays are clear. I have a drs appt tomorrow that I'm anxious about, for reasons I'm not sure of (which of course is how anxiety works). It will be good to see my dr as I've had a cough for 10 days... and drs appts move the process farther along.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m glad the xrays didn’t show anything scary today. That’s definitely a good sign. Let’s hope there’s a clear path to recovery for you staring soon.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: I'm doing a scary thing. Support appreciated [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mri ordered. The nurse said they did need my weight because apparently the mri people need it. (I am suspicious but complied). In retrospect I should have bartered weight = I get a sticker. That was the trade we made for a flu shot. I'm 32 going on 3...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Mri ordered. The nurse said they did need my weight because apparently the mri people need it. (I am suspicious but complied). In retrospect I should have bartered weight = I get a sticker. That was the trade we made for a flu shot. I'm 32 going on 3...

Whatever works. My three year old was super disappointed his brother got to go to the dr and he didn't (stickers work).

Good luck with the MRI.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope you don't have to wait too long for the MRI.

At the bookstore I saw a sticker book where you recreate famous pictures/pieces of art by sticking 100s of little stickers.
Quote Reply