Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any benefit to getting a bike computer?
Quote | Reply
I ride almost exclusively indoors on Zwift and record & upload to Garmin/TrainingPeaks. If I do ride outside, it's either for a race, easy spins near my house or casual mountain biking (some cx racing). I also have a Garmin Fenix 5 that I can record those easy rides.

My question is, am I missing anything by not having an actual bike computer mounted on my handlebar??
Quote Reply
Re: Any benefit to getting a bike computer? [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For that type of riding, IMHO, probably not.

I like my bike computer because it is way easier to read than any wrist-based device. The screen is larger, and it is in easy line of sight without twisting my wrist or looking sideways from the direction of travel. The two main reasons I look at it is: 1) I am doing a training ride where targeting a power number is important, or 2) I am on a ride where I need mapping.

If you do neither of those two, then a dedicated bike computer would not add much to your life.

Oh yeah, reason number three is Garmin radar. I will never ride without Garmin radar.
Quote Reply
Re: Any benefit to getting a bike computer? [pacco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently got a bike computer for the bigger screen. A watch (920xt) with a quick-release and handlebar mount was adequate until around my 50th birthday. I really do appreciate the larger readout, especially when I'm going fast or in traffic and want the info from a quick glance.

If you don't need a bigger screen, consider one of those wrist-sized rubber mounts that lets you wrap a watch around your handlebars.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Any benefit to getting a bike computer? [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dewman wrote:
I recently got a bike computer for the bigger screen. A watch (920xt) with a quick-release and handlebar mount was adequate until around my 50th birthday. I really do appreciate the larger readout, especially when I'm going fast or in traffic and want the info from a quick glance.

If you don't need a bigger screen, consider one of those wrist-sized rubber mounts that lets you wrap a watch around your handlebars.

Boy howdy! Isn't that the truth. Turned 51 this year. Switched to near/far contacts instead of getting bifocals...now I can't see squat. Well....everything is "not entirely terrible". I originally got the contacts as a trial prior to getting lasik---couldn't see spending $4k for "this"...but, free? sure, ok :-\.

I may have to think about a dedicated head unit next year. I've continued to suffer through with the 920 bike mount, this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Any benefit to getting a bike computer? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Turned 51 this year. Switched to near/far contacts instead of getting bifocals...now I can't see squat.
I may have to think about a dedicated head unit next year. I've continued to suffer through with the 920 bike mount, this year.

I just got an idea -- how about mounting the 920 on an out-front mount at the top of your fork. Over the next few years, you can adjust it down a few inches a year. When it reaches the front axle, you can get a bike computer.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Any benefit to getting a bike computer? [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dewman wrote:

I just got an idea -- how about mounting the 920 on an out-front mount at the top of your fork. Over the next few years, you can adjust it down a few inches a year. When it reaches the front axle, you can get a bike computer.

Are you crazy? How many watts will THAT cost me?
Quote Reply
Re: Any benefit to getting a bike computer? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oy, I can't even read my 520 in TT anymore.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply