Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I actually wish I had some longer hills to train on. Alls I've got around here are these little dinky 20-50ft tall rollers. Better than nothing, but I DO miss being able to just run up a hill until I run out of steam.

When I lived in FL, I would run in parking garages

For extra fun, do repeats by running up the ramps, then take the elevator down and start again

Conversely, you can also ride the elevator UP and skateboard DOWN

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Paul, I looked up where you and your wife live now, and it sounds a lot like here in Valyermo, just a tad bit higher. I think we are under 400 residents, two of my neighbors have 700 and 1800 acre ranches. What prompted you to move there? Maybe time to look into that treadmill thread, I saw the one they were all raving about for $1400, seems super reasonable for one that goes 5 minute pace up 12% grades!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

Conversely, you can also ride the elevator UP and skateboard DOWN

An interesting idea...probably not very beneficial for my running career, though.

I live in the country. The nearest town is 9 miles away, and has a population of ~3000. What's a parking garage?

I guess I could run the bleachers at the $XXX million HS football stadium. it is texas afterall.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, we sold our house in Philadelphia because (a) the house was way too big for us (b) it was time for something/somewhere new. Got into the van and started driving with a list of about 10 places that were candidates. After visiting my wife's family in WI, we escaped the polar vortex that hit the upper midwest last winter and since we were racing the Arches Ultra at the start of February, we headed to Santa Fe first since that was on our list and not far from Moab where the race was. Saw the house in the first few days, went off the Moab and we both felt compelled to come back. Looked at a lot of other houses in the area, continued to be drawn to this one. Met a bunch of people from the village ... seemed like a nice crowd albeit predominantly of the "gray hair" variety (got to get used to that as I age up myself). We owned the house by the end of February. Took another 2 months in the van in AZ/CA since there was a tenant with notice, then moved in May 1st. So much for the rest of the list!

So far it's been great, though the cycling options compared to PA are massively reduced because of the much lower road density, and running options are also similarly constrained. What does exist though is pretty amazing, with the Sangre de Cristos and Jemez "arms" of the Rockies normally in full view.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlaj wrote:
Ha! I'm doing similar things with using runs to warmup for swims/bikes. Lap lanes full of non-drowners (hard to call them swimmers), so I hit the treadmill for 30' and then had the lanes to myself.

1. I'd forgotten how badly calibrated most gym treadmills are.
2. Denizens of the cardio room. Should start that thread if it doesn't exist yet.

Well as it turns out I could not make it to the pool at lunch so I jogged an addtional 25 min early afternoon before a meeting, and there was a pool fouling this evening, so I did a 10 min row+15 min hard spin + 10 min hard row + 12m treadmill easy jog.

I ended up with a touch over 50 min running for the day. I would like to see if I can cram in 4 hrs of running per week for the challenge around mainly swimming focus and some hard trainer rides, and just doing a bunch of short mini runs all over the course of day.....just building run base through extreme frequency.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I guess I could run the bleachers at the $XXX million HS football stadium. it is texas afterall.
Some of those HS stadiums are mind blowing. Upper deck and press box. They seem so out of place compared with the fields of nothing surrounding them.
On the plus side, that would mean the stadium is getting used!

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fun little data question: After logging a decent number of (slow) running miles over the past couple years in prep for IM's,I spent all fall focusing on the bike and avoiding running. Probably did 50 miles per month in Aug, Sep, Oct and Nov.

With some exceptions most of my runs for the challenge will be 3.5 - 4 miles at about a 9:00 pace. That's my go-to, pay-no-attention-just-run speed at the moment. So the fun question (or at least the question i consider fun): How much will my average heart rate over similar runs decline over the 100 runs? Right now my HR averages about 152 if I do 3 or four miles at a fairly even 9:00ish pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [SJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SJK wrote:
Fun little data question: After logging a decent number of (slow) running miles over the past couple years in prep for IM's,I spent all fall focusing on the bike and avoiding running. Probably did 50 miles per month in Aug, Sep, Oct and Nov.

With some exceptions most of my runs for the challenge will be 3.5 - 4 miles at about a 9:00 pace. That's my go-to, pay-no-attention-just-run speed at the moment. So the fun question (or at least the question i consider fun): How much will my average heart rate over similar runs decline over the 100 runs? Right now my HR averages about 152 if I do 3 or four miles at a fairly even 9:00ish pace.

i suspect your HR will come down as you get back into the running habit.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [SJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bet would be "none". Because, I expect your "go to" RPE / HR will remain unchanged and you will simply run faster at the same "pay no attention" effort. But, I'll take a wild guess and say your pace drops down in the 8:2x range by the end of the challenge at 152 bpm.

On the other hand, if you do continue to run at 9:00, I'll pick 141 as the associated HR.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 5, 19 11:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah it didn't occur to me that I might end up running faster instead. I'd be thrilled if I'm casually doing sub-8:30's by the end. Or if my HR falls that much.

This challenge is the kick-in-the-running-shoes I've needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AKA "it doesn't get easier, you just get faster"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SJK wrote:
Yeah it didn't occur to me that I might end up running faster instead. I'd be thrilled if I'm casually doing sub-8:30's by the end. Or if my HR falls that much.

On this train of thought why not just run 8:30s to run sub 8 in the end (or faster).
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
SJK wrote:

On this train of thought why not just run 8:30s to run sub 8 in the end (or faster).

Why stop there? Just start at 6:00...so you can be running 5:30 at the end. /do-I-need-to-say-pink?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 3 mile minimum makes it a lot easier to squeeze in a quick run at lunch.

4/5 so far, hoping to make it to 75 this year after 55 last year.

Thanks for hosting this Dan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SJK wrote:

So I actually data-checked myself on this from runs in last year's 100/100... though this will be a comparison over a year so it's relatively similar weather conditions (and same route as well)!

For 2018 my pace at 140BPM: ~7:50
For 2019 my pace at 140BPM: ~6:50

I typically actually do my easy runs at around 120-130 now but I picked 140 arbitrarily because that was easy to compare between years.

Did an Ironman once. Only runs now.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [qintegral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
qintegral wrote:

For 2018 my pace at 140BPM: ~7:50
For 2019 my pace at 140BPM: ~6:50

I typically actually do my easy runs at around 120-130 now but I picked 140 arbitrarily because that was easy to compare between years.

Very nice.

I'm essentially unchanged from this point last year. ~8:00 at 150bpm. 150bpm is bottom of z2 for me. Likewise, I tend to do my easy runs 20-30s slower and down in the lower 140s.

But, I took may-august almost entirely off (less than 200 miles total over those 4 months). I ramped up in September, and have been at 40 mpw for Oct-November.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [qintegral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that’s an impressive drop! How many running miles total this year?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twcronin wrote:
Wow, that’s an impressive drop! How many running miles total this year?

Thanks tw and tom!

I went crazy with it -- 3800 so far, compared to 1900 in 2018 and 200 in 2017. Hoping to stay on track to close out 4000 for the year.

Did an Ironman once. Only runs now.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, trail runs will be slower and bring up the average pace. Elevation gain would be a cool metric to add.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [rmg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, trail runs will be slower and bring up the average pace.//

Oh great, my go to runs when I got off the treadmill incline, and all at altitude too!!. My pace is doomed I say... (-;

But here is my theory, when I do a 2nd run in a day(only occasionally) it will be entirely uphill, and my belief is that this will help keep me from injuries later on. Just a theory mind you, will see how it all plays out in the end..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SJK wrote:

I'm in roughly the same spot. 3.5 mile run at Z2, sub 150 BPM, gets me somewhere around 8:40 right now. Hoping I can drop that down to 7:30 or so while in Z2. Pushed one run the other day and did 8:18 at 151 BPM. I bet with your running background from previous IMs you'll get down close to 8 minute pace at that HR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting theory...I spent 2 months prior to this challenge treadmill walking up 9-15% grades b/c I wasn't allowed to run. Figured it would keep my HR up while reducing impact while my shoulder healed. My legs feel great now. So my n=1 backs up your theory so far. -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlaj wrote:
Interesting theory...I spent 2 months prior to this challenge treadmill walking up 9-15% grades b/c I wasn't allowed to run. Figured it would keep my HR up while reducing impact while my shoulder healed. My legs feel great now. So my n=1 backs up your theory so far. -J

I don't know the physiology around it but I know multiple people who swear by doing incline work on a TM when recovering from an injury or to ease off the joints a bit. I rarely run on a TM but when I do I always put it in a slight incline because I feel like I'm going to run off the front of the thing at 0%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
synthetic wrote:
SJK wrote:

Why stop there? Just start at 6:00...so you can be running 5:30 at the end. /do-I-need-to-say-pink?

I feel some folk are not pushing themselves to run so target paces maybe low into jog zone. For me, the fastest sustainable daily 30 min rate would be above 6:40 per mile. As my experiment 2 years ago, 30 days 6:25 was sustainable for only 20 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [jond81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jond81 wrote:
karlaj wrote:

I don't know the physiology around it but I know multiple people who swear by doing incline work on a TM when recovering from an injury or to ease off the joints a bit. I rarely run on a TM but when I do I always put it in a slight incline because I feel like I'm going to run off the front of the thing at 0%.

I don't run on a incline, but I do my cooldown walk at 3% or so

I don't know what compelled me to start doing that - after recovering from my hammy injury - butt it's worked pretty well so far

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next