Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The scrouge thread: (making due with what ya got) [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Synergy wet suit from 2011
Quote Reply
Re: The scrouge thread: (making due with what ya got) [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am using a pair of lace up Nike road bike shoes I bought at Performance bike in 1993. I was using them outside this Summer and the upper pulled away from the sole, so I shoe gooed them back together. They're relegated to trainer duty now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I train on a 1967 Super Mondia (Swiss built) bike. I got it for $100 on a shed find. It was top of the line (Reynolds 531/Campy super record) for its day. Still holds it's own pretty good. I'd race it in a heartbeat if something happened to my tri bike (which is also a dinosaur 2009 Cervelo).

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still using a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine from 2001. The resistance unit is original but the frame was replaced under warranty in 2010. Works good and I have no plans to upgrade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DeFeet cycling socks from 2002 that came free with some racing flats I bought. Probably have worn them 30X+ per year, faded but still going strong.

Nike cycling jerseys from the 2003 TdF. Ahead of their time with stretchy mesh side and back panels.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Christmas ?
BAAAAH HUMBUG.
Quote Reply
Re: The scrouge thread: (making due with what ya got) [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the spirit. Same with that Friday Noir and Taco Tuesday.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My primary winter riding additions are two thermal tops I have had since about 1990 (I had to get a second top because the stink was horrible on the second or third consecutive day of use). I stick a paper towel in my helmet to keep the wind off my forehead and use a couple of plastic grocery bags in my shoes with wool socks.

Unfortunately my collection of trinkets for TTs makes up for any frugality with the rest of the hobby.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My cold weather running tops are a set of Adidas long sleeve pull-overs purchased in 2005. Finally ordered a few new versions last year for work, but the old ones are still getting use for any running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My tri bike is a p3-sl (circa 2005).
My road bike is a 1995 cannondale SR900. The front wheel is still the original mavic cxp (I think).
My wife's bike is a 1996 trek.
My daughters bike is a 1989 trek.
My rollers are 1996 performance bike.
My trainer is 2001 (or so) 1up USA.

My riding tights and heavy riding jerseys are 1997. I still have some "new" sugoi riding shorts from around 2002 or so.

I have countless defeet riding socks circa 1997-2004 when they were everyone's stocking stuffer.

My original power meter is a 2002 power tap... Wired. My new one is a powertap sl+ (circa 2009).

Heck, my custom orthotics were new in 2005. I still have my original custom orthotics somewhere circa 2002. I also probably still have my foot castings around here somewhere.

All my part tools Date back to the early 90s.

I still have my polar s710 hrm and all it's accessories. I also have my wife's polar hrm. But, we don't use those since I got my 920xt 4 years ago.

I could probably go on.
Quote Reply
Re: The scrouge thread: (making due with what ya got) [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol. I cover my helmet vents with seran wrap on cold days. Sometimes I puncture it to let just the right amount of air flow through. Love the paper towel idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still use my Garmin 310XT for every outside run and I still race with it. I tried to upgrade to a newer garmin, but I returned it because I like the 310's square layout too much. I still think it is the best GPS watch ever made.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this 45 year old body I still use. Can't seem to replace it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far I am on about 11,000 km on my Conti GP 4000's.
Quote Reply
Re: The scrouge thread: (making due with what ya got) [mcalista] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you are really not that invested in squeezing every second out of your race time or every watt on your bike, it is amazing how liberating that can be. At least some of the time.

My last race I used my 2000 Softride TT. My only concessions to technology were the Zipp 404's & the Syntace C-3's. Hardly a concession in time however as it was only 45 seconds different on the same course under similar conditions. And that time difference could be explained by a gazillion factors, like going back to butyl tubes.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why just last night I was riding my Schwinn Super LeTour on the trainer with the J-Disk backwheel, trying to stay as aero as possible using the first generation LeMond clip-on aerobars, decked out in my speedo, listening to Flock of Seagulls on the jambox, with Poptarts and Gatorade fueling the workout.

Lots of old clothing from the '90's still getting used. Friend just gave me his old Computrainer that I'll use with my Litespeed Tuscany frame from '00 to train on over the winter. There's always a long list of WANTS. When something breaks/falls apart, then it gets bumped up to the NEEDS list.

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Re: The scrouge thread: (making due with what ya got) [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I have this 45 year old body I still use. Can't seem to replace it.

Next year it will be replaced with a 46yo body ;P.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to wear my swim trunks (speedo jammers) until they split. That is per usual. Smartwool for winter running is the best. Lasts almost forever and can be worn multiple times w/o laundering thus reducing my carbon footprint as well. And no stink. And... no plastic microfibers to screw up the aquatic environment. I am 53 and won't buy a new bike ever. My Scott plasma bought on clear out 7 years ago for two grand is all I will ever need. I give more to charity in a month than that sucker costed.

How do I get the mold off the inside of my swim goggles?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: The scrouge thread: (making due with what ya got) [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
I am going to wear my swim trunks (speedo jammers) until they split. That is per usual. Smartwool for winter running is the best. Lasts almost forever and can be worn multiple times w/o laundering thus reducing my carbon footprint as well. And no stink. And... no plastic microfibers to screw up the aquatic environment. I am 53 and won't buy a new bike ever. My Scott plasma bought on clear out 7 years ago for two grand is all I will ever need. I give more to charity in a month than that sucker costed.

How do I get the mold off the inside of my swim goggles?

swedes. even if some mold does grow in there, it's easy to wipe out.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: The scrouge thread: (making due with what ya got) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will have to try that.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: The scrouge thread: (making due with what ya got) [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My only bike is the one I bought in 1977.
Quote Reply
Re: The scrouge thread: (making due with what ya got) [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
then you clearly aren't trying hard enough. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: The scrouge thread: (making due with what ya got) [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Mugen_EP wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:

FYI, The character in A Christmas Carol is Scrooge.

Funny, I read the thread title as "The SCROUNGE thread"...now I'm curious which way the OP meant. lol

Lol I did too

Ha! I read "scourge." (I was going to post about the Garmin user interface.)

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two used bikes less than $1000 each, one for indoor dumb trainer with Sufferfest subscription and one with clip on aero bars for triathlon and outdoor riding
Same pair of cycling shoes since 2016
Second pair of goggles since 2016, second bathing suit since 2016, same trusty speedo cap since 2016, hand me down XTerra wetsuit ( live in NC and very little use for this except for occasional need at races)
Buy running shoes annually or when mileage racks up
One pair of good cycling shorts
Got a nice aero POC helmet for Christmas last year
Use free training plans ( like Phil Mosley off TriRadar)
Same pair of cycling gloves since 2016
I use tri bag freebies from races
Upgraded from Garmin 235 to 935 and have a Garmin 520 bike computer and Garmin sensors
Plan to get the Premium Training Peaks soon
I have managed to place 3rd in my age group twice at local NC tri series races, one sprint, one Olympic
Have completed two 70.3 and one IM Chattanooga, hitting up Challenge Roth next summer, multiple marathons, 50K and having fun doing it
Hang out with a lot of good triathletes and cyclist and not afraid to ask questions ( this is FREE by the way)

Glad to know I am not the only person who doesn't break the bank every year with new gear.

hard work pays off. bah humbug ( not really,I like Christmas, but have to be thrifty to afford race entries)
Last edited by: AC_triwarrior: Dec 5, 19 13:27
Quote Reply

Prev Next