Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Spare tubular storage for racing
Quote | Reply
How are people storing their spare tubular?

I’m racing a Giant Trinity on tubs and am trying to figure out how to best carry a spare for racing. I’ve never bothered carrying a spare until I DNFd a sprint a few weeks back because of a flat. When investing bigger dollars in IRONMAN events I want to be able to fix a flat and continue.

Currently configured with the front hydration and a single bottle behind the seat. Tub does not fit in a tool bottle and there’s no room under my ISM saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tubular storage for racing [Fletch_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rather than carry a spare tub I run sealant in the tubular, carry a can of sealant and a CO2 canister. I have only punctured once in seven years with it sealing itself and I never stopped riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a lightweight Tufo Elite track tubular, which fits between the rails of my Dash Stage saddle. What is it that stops you keeping it under your saddle?
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tubular storage for racing [ni31mo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ni31mo wrote:
I have a lightweight Tufo Elite track tubular, which fits between the rails of my Dash Stage saddle. What is it that stops you keeping it under your saddle?

No room. The Trinity seat clamp sits too high.
Last edited by: Fletch_boy: Nov 29, 19 0:56
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tubular storage for racing [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Rather than carry a spare tub I run sealant in the tubular, carry a can of sealant and a CO2 canister. I have only punctured once in seven years with it sealing itself and I never stopped riding.

That sounds like an easier option. Can you add sealant after the tub has been glued onto the rim? I have a 60ml pack of caffelatex.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes easiest to remove the valve core and have a syringe and tube squirting it straight in then replace the valve core. You can buy syringes that even go through the valve core but easier to remove.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a speed concept 2 rear storage box mounted on an xlab bracket behind the seat of my p3. i flipped the bracket so it runs a bit lower and it meant the speed concept box sits flush with my saddle. Get my tubby spare and a couple c02 and a couple good strong lever to wedge in to get the glue moving. It works great and looks pretty good back there.
Last edited by: Gilliga: Nov 29, 19 2:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sprints/Oly, I only carry Vittoria pit stop, if it doesn't do the job then so be it. Half/Full, tubs glued using tape for easy removal, and a Tufo lightweight inside an X-lab pod behind the saddle, CO2 etc. I have clincher race wheels too, but I know it is probably just a mental thing, like the feeling of tubs.
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tubular storage for racing [Gilliga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gilliga wrote:
I have a speed concept 2 rear storage box mounted on an xlab bracket behind the seat of my p3. i flipped the bracket so it runs a bit lower and it meant the speed concept box sits flush with my saddle. Get my tubby spare and a couple c02 and a couple good strong lever to wedge in to get the glue moving. It works great and looks pretty good back there.

Have you got a picture?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 https://www.instagram.com/...igshid=15crmmjio8ah7

Its at that link im not sure how to attach photos
Last edited by: Gilliga: Nov 29, 19 12:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's creative. Never seen a draft box mounted there
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tubular storage for racing [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont like having a drink bottle back there or a big long tube to store the tunny in and i was looking at a mates trek one day and thought i give this a crack and ive been happy with it. Also makes putting the race number on the bike easy. Im no engineer but guess its aero neutral back there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strapped to the BTS bottle cages with velcro electric cable organizer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duck taped to rear bottle holder rails. The key is fold the tubie double wide and tight starting at the valve end. Put CO2 and adapter in the middle as you fold it up.

I did this for 30+ years and have now just switched to clinchers and trying to figure out a system all over again!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2 on choosing the right tubular. I used to hide a tubular in my frame in the down tube under the seat post. I did a blog post way back in the day with a side-by-side of the smallest tubular against a tube. The spare tubular was smaller!!! Here is that original post from back in 2011

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Spare tubular storage for racing [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced IM 70.3 Western Australia on the weekend and decided to risk not carrying a spare as I was going insane trying to fold, tape, hide, burn etc. I decided to add sealant to the race tyres and carry a Co2 cartridge and inflator. Good news is I did not need them. Being my first 70.3 I am stoked I got through it without issue. Now I’ll somewhat be less stressed in future races. I just didn’t want to DNF my first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:

word of warning

I ran my tubulars on sealant and it actually worked when I got a puncture however a couple of things to be aware of

firstly the sealant will clog your presto valve so you will need to clear periodically

secondly the sealant will rot your tubular over time as I found out ,went to pump my tub after winter storage and the valve separated from the Tub, the tub had had sealant in for about 3 seasons
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This old roadie uses an inexpensive butyl tubed (they fold flat) tire folded and taped around my inflator. Stuff the whole thing in an old cycling sock and secure it under your seat rails, or anywhere else with a toe clip strap. Compact, clean, and easy to manage.
Quote Reply