Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kona Win Or Olympic Gold For Alistair Brownlee 2020?? [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope that he does well in both. It would be cool to see him get 2 golds in Tokyo now that the team relay has been added. Double his lifetime golds and then apply his 2019 Kona lessons to a better finish there.

It’s a big challenge and the difficulty of it is what makes it interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Win Or Olympic Gold For Alistair Brownlee 2020?? [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he is most likely to win Kona, but he should go for the gold in Tokyo since it is a possibility. He has so many years left to go after Kona, this is the last call for the Olympics.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Win Or Olympic Gold For Alistair Brownlee 2020?? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
timr wrote:
Vincent Luis with the Gold.

If AB sits in on the bike more then he has a real chance in Kona. We will see who shows up healthy.

I'm English and too think Luis must be fave providing he's fit (nothing to suggest he won't be).
The alternative thought for Ali - he goes as mega-domestique for Jonny as he can turn himself inside out on the swim and bike to set it up for his Bro (in particular breaking the race dynamics up so it doesn't become a swim -wheelsuck - best-runner-wins race.

Except is this what they tried in Leeds 2019? if so, didn't work. WTS races aren't the wheel suck races of the past, in fact the race was won in 2019 in one minute 40s faster time than AB's winning time in 2017. This was also tried at the Commonwealth Games in 2018, also didn't work.
One thing that we do need to consider, Bermuda and Abudhabi are very early in the season and the top wts guys will not likely be true race fit, but rather looking at peaking for Tokyo, much later in the season. A good result in these isn't necessarily a true indicator of capabilities when everyone rocks up ready to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Win Or Olympic Gold For Alistair Brownlee 2020?? [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The advantage of AB going all out on the bike is that I think it could keep certain runners from catching (or atleast make them really work for it). But I think it would still allow certain key front pack runners to imo easily hang onto AB/JB's "attack". VL would have zero issue with going with those 2 if they went on a break. Van Reil would make it, likely Schoeman as would very likely Gomez. It would more be a direct shot at the guys who don't make the front group- Mola/Murray/Blu/McElroy/Birt (which is a pretty important gap to push and force them to work and make). Those guys would be in trouble, which then would indirectly help JB cut down who he's fighting for out of T2.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Dec 2, 19 15:32
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Win Or Olympic Gold For Alistair Brownlee 2020?? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If feels like Alistair is somewhat past his prime. This said, I would NOT discount him as others have on this thread.

I think the real problem for Tokyo is the qualification for Alistair. GB having three spots is far from a given, and then you need to choose who between Jonny, Alistair and Alex is left out.

If he is chosen for the Olympic Games by the British selectors, then I would not bet my house against Alistair being a favourite for the Gold. I feel like if he really commits to preparing for Tokyo (when selected) he can get back to being near his 2016 form. Hoping we can see this happen. Imagine if Jonny is being left out the team? That would be something.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Win Or Olympic Gold For Alistair Brownlee 2020?? [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And if you are down to 2 then you gotta ride with both guys for the MTR. So who between Alex, JB and AB is the worst in the MTR in 2020?

I just don't see him being chosen to replace Alex or or JB, most especially after this last year with AB's own itu performances + his voyage into IM training and what that is going to do to his top end speed.

Again give him the 3rd spot cus why not......but 1 of the 2 spots if they don't qualify 3? I just can't see it. Your messing around with an olympic medal MTR contender at that point....you better be "all in" on itu at that point.....F what it does to your kona prep or race 3 months later.....

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is another way to look at whether or not he can win Kona and Tokyo. I know a lot say 0% chance at either, but answer this, what man in the world has a "better" chance at winning both of those races next year? About as close as I could come is Gomez, and he would be a long off 2nd pick for that double..OF course it is a major long shot, but if "anyone" could do it, it would be Ali.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Win Or Olympic Gold For Alistair Brownlee 2020?? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How can someone credibly contend he has 0% chance at winning Kona if he races there????? He would be one of the top 5 (?) favorites to win the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does make UK Olympic Team and redeems himself by winning Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is more money in racing ironmans and kona right?

Yes people know the olympics but its every 4 years...everyone knows ironman and its every year. More exposure, more money? or am I totally off base
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Win Or Olympic Gold For Alistair Brownlee 2020?? [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:

Yes people know the olympics but its every 4 years...everyone knows ironman and its every year. More exposure, more money? or am I totally off base

The real money is in the endorsement value you get from being champion. To state that one is greater than the other is too simple. It depends on the event and the popularity and personality of the athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Win Or Olympic Gold For Alistair Brownlee 2020?? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Twinkie wrote:

The real money is in the endorsement value you get from being champion. To state that one is greater than the other is too simple. It depends on the event and the popularity and personality of the athlete.

Ok lets say if someone were to win the olympics once vs ironman kona 4 times (4 year oly cycle).
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Win Or Olympic Gold For Alistair Brownlee 2020?? [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would guess that for triathlon that 4x Kona would be far more lucrative than 1x Olympic given the same person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there is more top end money for top itu athletes for how the sport is structured. They can race one a month at every stop and its the same 10 guys making bank 90% of the time. There is more money prob in IM but that’s over like 75 events and those guys only race 1/2 of what the itu guys do.

Itu guys get hooked up on the federation’s dime while the IM guys have to get those private sponsors to cover costs etc.

I would say it’s more lucrative within triathlon to be an IM champion but if you can find an non tri product I’m guessing an “Olympic champion” is far more appealing to the masses. That to me is IM brand’s issue with sponsors for its races, it seems it’s all tri related companies these days.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Win Or Olympic Gold For Alistair Brownlee 2020?? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I think there is more top end money for top itu athletes for how the sport is structured. They can race one a month at every stop and its the same 10 guys making bank 90% of the time. There is more money prob in IM but that’s over like 75 events and those guys only race 1/2 of what the itu guys do.

Itu guys get hooked up on the federation’s dime while the IM guys have to get those private sponsors to cover costs etc.

I would say it’s more lucrative within triathlon to be an IM champion but if you can find an non tri product I’m guessing an “Olympic champion” is far more appealing to the masses. That to me is IM brand’s issue with sponsors for its races, it seems it’s all tri related companies these days.

I think it very much depends on where you are from as well, in terms of endorsements. In the UK you could be No 3 UK athlete and top 10 in the WTS and have no sponsors. This is known as the Brownlee effect and has happened in the past. Things may be changing with Yee emerging but you get the point.

As far as prize money is concerned there is no competition - ITU wins hands down not only at the top end but also with how far down the prize pool goes. I guess with 70.3 and IM the standard in some Pro fields is extremely poor in comparison to ITU but then the prize pool may be only 5 deep and is pretty pitiful in many races.

Another thing to consider is ITU athletes have Super League and French GP as extra income sources which are very very lucrative, and can be used as essentially paid training races, as has been done with French GP in the past.

As Brooks alluded to this is all done with minimal expenses as NGB is covering living expenses, training, medical etc etc. This I think is where the big difference lies with MOP pros.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
So Alistair has just qualified for Kona next year winning and with a very good performance to boot in only his second ever Ironman.

Meanwhile on the ITU circuit Ali is currently ranked 139th, came 44th in his last WTS race and hasn't actually won a race at the top level since June 2017.

I'm sure Alistair's going to be making his mind up over the next couple of weeks over what his 2020 will look like (maybe he already has)

What does he have the best chance of winning Tokyo Olympics or Kona 2020?

Also what will be the best achievement for you out the two??

I don't think he will win Tokyo...but I think he has a very good chance at Kona.
Quote Reply

Prev Next