Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
*stupid question alert*

So I'm probably going to bank a run tonight so that I dont have to run tomorrow (I already did todays run in the morning). Does banking a run only work if you push it forward to the next day - or can you miss a day and do 2 runs the next day?

Thanks!

It's all about the total number, so it doesn't matter what day you record the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlaj wrote:
Anyone got recovery tips they swear by? I'm paying closer attention to sleep, trying to stay reasonably hydrated,

Salt baths are great as well.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Just finished a nice 4 miler up here at the Ranch and after dropping my run into the ST tracker I couldn't help but gaze up the list to find that Bluestacks is on fire again (this is the same guy from last year yes?). It's day two and while I'm happily sitting "one up" with three runs dude-man is sitting at 14... FOUR-f*cking- TEEN. I love this guy!!! What an inspiration!!!

with respect to bluestacks' efforts, a shout-out must be given to rob gray, who i believe may have begun his 100/100 during ultraman. 3 runs so far, he's on schedule, 3-for-3, but with 50-something miles.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be nice if aerobic points were removed (only correlates with distance anyways, so redundant) ... And in place a sort by pace, since you have time and distance available.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
It would be nice if aerobic points were removed (only correlates with distance anyways, so redundant) ... And in place a sort by pace, since you have time and distance available.

+1
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ianpeace wrote:
Just finished a nice 4 miler up here at the Ranch and after dropping my run into the ST tracker I couldn't help but gaze up the list to find that Bluestacks is on fire again (this is the same guy from last year yes?). It's day two and while I'm happily sitting "one up" with three runs dude-man is sitting at 14... FOUR-f*cking- TEEN. I love this guy!!! What an inspiration!!!

with respect to bluestacks' efforts, a shout-out must be given to rob gray, who i believe may have begun his 100/100 during ultraman. 3 runs so far, he's on schedule, 3-for-3, but with 50-something miles.

I got a new plan for 100/100. Basically if I do 20 min on the treadmill in the morning and evening and other than that, I jog from car to office, office to car, car to pool, pool to car, car to office, office to car, drive home and squeeze in another lap of the block or a few laps around the building at work, this will get me to 35 minutes per day and I don't even really have to devote any "planned time" to running. Just run everywhere instead of walking.

Last month when I was in London and Paris on business, I basically ran through every airport terminal. I wanted to see how many steps I was getting running everywhere rather than walking and I was getting around 8000-10000 steps of slow jogging daily without making time to work out or in addition to working out. There was won day when I only did 8000 steps in a run (so around 8km), but by the end of the day I got to 26,000 of which another 12000 was jogging.

There was one day where I left the convention center in Paris and rather than take the street car or Uber back to my hotel, I started, walking and then that turned into a jog in my business clothing and dress shoes. As my sweat built up, I stuffed my business suit jacket into my backpack so I was running the the street in Paris in dress pants, dress shirt and with a business backpack on and dress shoes. The pace was just jogging. 4.5 km later I got to my hotel shedded the biz gear , put on running shoes, compression shorts and T shirt and then I hit the track (yes, hotel was strategically picked to be close to a track and pool), and did 10km more of running on the track in proper sportswear (and not in zero padding zero drop dress shoes.....strategically chosen dress shoes that I can run in slowly if I have to).

In any case, that was outside 100/100, but part of the "running everywhere" plan came from being on a Kona training camp with Ultraman Rob Gray, who was doing exactly that. If he could run somewhere he was and it all adds up.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
*stupid question alert*

So I'm probably going to bank a run tonight so that I dont have to run tomorrow (I already did todays run in the morning). Does banking a run only work if you push it forward to the next day - or can you miss a day and do 2 runs the next day?

Thanks!

Hello! Banking a run works at any time. The challenge will pick up any qualifying run (30 minutes or 3 miles) inside the challenge period, so it could be 11:59pm or whatever and it wouldn't matter. The only thing that would be potentially off is the little icon for how you're doing might not reflect correctly until a few days go by.

Just like our hero, Bluestacks, who is going to bank 100 runs in the first 40 days and then coast to success .... :)

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PaulDavis wrote:
synthetic wrote:

+1

So for this type of data element, I do have quite a bit of flexibility -- it'd likely be optional by challenge? Or by user for the challenge? Anyway -- for some of them, like the Kahuna, it's required, because it's the determining element of the whole thing.

Now, as for adding pace, that would be really cool. I think I can make it work by tweaking the SQL. Let me fiddle around with it and see what I can do. I wish we had prizes, because it'd be cool to reward the quicker folks and maybe the Lanterne Rouge, too. :^)

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric, I missed the first day. Is it possible to bank a run in reverse by running twice in one day tomorrow or this weekend?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [anitan1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anitan1 wrote:
Eric, I missed the first day. Is it possible to bank a run in reverse by running twice in one day tomorrow or this weekend?

Yes, of course!! You could also reverse Bluestacks it and wait until the last 20 days and run 5 times a day. Not that we recommend it. :)

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

the table is set up to favor a particular metric. it might be distance, sessions, aerobic points, depending on the challenge. often challenges require some specific coding - this one a case in point (minimum mileage and/or time. as for the rest of the table, i don't see that changing.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you guys for starting this challenge. I wanted to do a run build this winter and this should kick start it well. Trying to ramp up to 30 minutes as my runs are typically 20-25 but I've been hitting the 5k mark thus far.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
PaulDavis wrote:
synthetic wrote:

+1

So for this type of data element, I do have quite a bit of flexibility -- it'd likely be optional by challenge? Or by user for the challenge? Anyway -- for some of them, like the Kahuna, it's required, because it's the determining element of the whole thing.

Now, as for adding pace, that would be really cool. I think I can make it work by tweaking the SQL. Let me fiddle around with it and see what I can do. I wish we had prizes, because it'd be cool to reward the quicker folks and maybe the Lanterne Rouge, too. :^)

-Eric

awesome, thanks for the add. looks like no one is going to come close to danstu4 's average! It is fun to add mini challenges within this challenge. Always good to have A,B,C goals. (C goal is the 100 runs in 100 days, make that the last one to fail!)

Thus I continue my sub challenge of staying under 8 min / mile (5 min / km), survived the rain today:
1 - 7:39
2 - 7:19
3 - 7:28
4 - 7:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today's approach to the challenge is as follows. I had limited time in the morning so this is what I did

10 min treadmill warmup run ramping up to 11kph making the incline steeper and steeper as a warmup to bike
20 min trainer with 10x2min at 90-95%FTP with 10 seconds of rest per per 2 min
3 min cool down jog on treadmill
4 min additional jogging on street in cold temps so I don't have to shower (basically bone dry at the end of that)
drive to work

total run so far = 17 minutes.

When I go to the pool at lunch I will jog some laps of parking lot as a warmup for my swim and then I can hit the water hard and after swim do a bit more jogging for my swim-bike transition practice since you have to run out of the water in most tris.....this will get me to my 30+ minutes and I don't have to make time for running and I get my quality that I wanted on the trainer and in the pool. Without 100/100 I'd have just spent the time doing bike warmup and swim warmup at low intensity. I'm just doing the low intensity stuff on the run and quality in the other two sports by not warming up and cooling down in those sports and doing that running
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks like no one is going to come close to danstu4 's average! //

Looks like dtrunner is crushing him, way ahead of anyone else at 6;27 pace. The thing with paces is they dont take into account uphill runs. I plan to do many of my treadmill runs up hill, of course with no downhill to balance out the pace. But a fun mini challenge to follow for sure..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

awesome, thanks for the add. looks like no one is going to come close to danstu4 's average!

You missed several. I counted at least 5 in the sub-7 group...one in particular:

dtnrunner 4 4:02:42 37.57mi 6:27/mi
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 4, 19 9:25
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Looks like dtrunner is crushing him, way ahead of anyone else at 6;27 pace. The thing with paces is they dont take into account uphill runs. I plan to do many of my treadmill runs up hill, of course with no downhill to balance out the pace. But a fun mini challenge to follow for sure..

True, but dtrunner has 4 runs over 38 miles...that's kinda hard to do all downhill. Sheesh....9 miles at 6:27, day after day??!??!!. I did 3 miles at that pace last night in the middle of my 9miler. I need a recovery day today.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
monty wrote:

True, but dtrunner has 4 runs over 38 miles...that's kinda hard to do all downhill. Sheesh....9 miles at 6:27, day after day??!??!!. I did 3 miles at that pace last night in the middle of my 9miler. I need a recovery day today.

It's pretty early on, but also, there are runners for whom 6:30 is an easy jog (I am not one of them!). And also, let me help you sneaky peekers with a sort function this morning. :)

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! I'm doing similar things with using runs to warmup for swims/bikes. Lap lanes full of non-drowners (hard to call them swimmers), so I hit the treadmill for 30' and then had the lanes to myself.

1. I'd forgotten how badly calibrated most gym treadmills are.
2. Denizens of the cardio room. Should start that thread if it doesn't exist yet.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karlaj wrote:
2. Denizens of the cardio room. Should start that thread if it doesn't exist yet.

There's a "Gym" thread on both the Tri Forum AND the LR

Maybe a nice gift would be to unify them somehow/somewhere

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think my biggest challenge will be around the Christmas holidays and sneakily slipping in runs between the chaos.

Looking forward to seeing how it helps build fitness for some early year races!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, but dtrunner has 4 runs over 38 miles...that's kinda hard to do all downhill. //

You totally misunderstood my point, it was not to throw shade on anyone's faster running paces. It was actually an excuse( for me and maybe others) that like to do straight uphill runs only, or many of the segments on treadmills just going up. I do plan to do some faster runs later in the challenge once my legs harden up a bit, hopefully soon...
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be interesting to see how the utterly different climate near Santa Fe (compared to Philadelphia) impacts 100/100 2019 ... in previous years both I and my wife have made extensive use of the treadmills at our gym in Philadelphia to deal with particularly bad weather. The nearest gym is now 25 miles away and not worth belonging to as a full time member. The flipside is that it's still mostly sunny here all winter, and even if it snows, that is generally gone by lunchtime. That said, it's frequently below freezing in the morning and there are occasional storms like the one over thanksgiving that leave enough snow to last for days, not to mention the impact on the trails we like to run on.

So ... to be seen ...
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty I would argue by in large we should be celebrating run frequency not pace as it's to modifiable of a metric. I can not remove variables when on the treadmill like lack of wind/modification of step length. Also outdoors GPS while fantastic tends to over measure my track intervals (see my Tuesday workout). Side bar thanks Dan for the 100/100 challenge it's a great motivator during the winter months when my racing calendar is bleak and their is skiing to be had. If you want to know the secret to being a strong runner it's in my obnoxiously long signature below...
Happy running to all!

"What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe... The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

You totally misunderstood my point, it was not to throw shade on anyone's faster running paces. It was actually an excuse( for me and maybe others) that like to do straight uphill runs only, or many of the segments on treadmills just going up. I do plan to do some faster runs later in the challenge once my legs harden up a bit, hopefully soon...

Sorry....didn't mean to imply you were "throwing shade". i did, in fact, take your point. I was mostly simply expressing my amazement at 38 miles of 6:27/mi. I couldn't do that down a 6% grade for that long. and certainly not four days in a row!

I actually wish I had some longer hills to train on. Alls I've got around here are these little dinky 20-50ft tall rollers. Better than nothing, but I DO miss being able to just run up a hill until I run out of steam.
Quote Reply

Prev Next