Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best bike travel case for Trek Speed Concept
Quote | Reply
Hello! I have a 2020 trek speed concept, size L, with Di2. I'm looking for a travel case that does not require loosening/removal of the front end, as it's extremely complicated and fine tuned.

I'd be open to changing my mind, but I think that soft cases are out, I'm too worried about damage.

The bike box alan triathlon aero easy fit looks pretty good, but I can't be sure if my bike will fit. Has anyone used this box with a speed concept?

What other cases should I consider?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike travel case for Trek Speed Concept [gregnemes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. I too need an answer to this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there is a way to get the Bike Box Alan in the US without massive shipping/import fees, let us know. That looks like the best option, although the 50 lbs weight limit and fit in automobiles is a concern.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want a hard case then the Bike Box Alan AeroFit should work (search for a thread, I think there were a few people with your frame/size that have used it.) With a large frame you might need to remove the seat, but that's about it.

Quote | Reply
It does look pretty great! Are you in the US? If so, was shipping very expensive?

Any complaints with the case?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregnemes wrote:
It does look pretty great! Are you in the US? If so, was shipping very expensive?

Any complaints with the case?

Yes, I am in the US. Shipping was stupid expensive (heck... shipping your new case via bike flights might be cheaper!) They do not have a US distributor. No real complaints so far. You can't use the any crush bar with a disc wheel but that hasn't been an issue. And it is BIG... but the whole point was to keep the bike together so it needs to be on the bigger side on things.

Quote | Reply
I’ve got the Scicon hard case to travel with my Speed Concept. Same size as yours. I do have to remove the base bar, but it’s pretty simple. You take out the three bolts underneath, turn the bars, and you’re set. Price is great on probikekit right now. I’ve probably flown 20-25 times with it and haven’t had an issue.

Quote | Reply
Anyone have any experience with the Thule Roundtrip Transition? Still need to remove bars, but seems pretty damn robust and roomy. Is there a weight limit for the overall weight of the box and bike when taking on a plane?
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike travel case for Trek Speed Concept [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that the “ AEROTECH EVOLUTION X TSA BIKE TRAVEL CASE”? I don’t see a Tri-specific case. That one has an image of a road bike in it.

https://us.sciconbags.com/...tsa-bike-travel-case
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike travel case for Trek Speed Concept [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, that’s the one. It’s not tri specific, but it fits a tri bike no problem.

Quote | Reply
Love my SCICON TSA soft case. Takes very little time to pack, no issues whatsoever with travel to a couple of races. Obviously hard case is gonna he better but literally all I need to do with this is take off the wheels, loosen and drop the aero bars and I’m all set. I add a little extra padding with pool noodles but the main thing is there’s no need to drop the headset or remove the seat post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EVOC Road Bike Pro, remove the wheels/padals, that's it

https://www.evocsports.com/...ew-road-bike-bag-pro

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike travel case for Trek Speed Concept [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Anyone have any experience with the Thule Roundtrip Transition? Still need to remove bars, but seems pretty damn robust and roomy. Is there a weight limit for the overall weight of the box and bike when taking on a plane?
Yes, I have one of those as well. It’s awesome, bike is very well protected, tons of room inside. Yes, I need to remove the bars. It’s heavy and big but still smaller than the BikeBoxAlan.

Quote | Reply
I don't know if it's the best, but I recently got a Scicon AeroComfort Tri 3.0 for my bike, which happens to be a Trek Speed Concept size L, maxed out on reach. While I still remove the extensions just to be safe, they easily fit in the case. It's a softcase, yes, but padded and armoured in all the right places in my opinion. Packing it is a breeze.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike travel case for Trek Speed Concept [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
I don't know if it's the best, but I recently got a Scicon AeroComfort Tri 3.0 for my bike, which happens to be a Trek Speed Concept size L, maxed out on reach. While I still remove the extensions just to be safe, they easily fit in the case. It's a softcase, yes, but padded and armoured in all the right places in my opinion. Packing it is a breeze.

Is there any specific protection for the base bar from side impacts?
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike travel case for Trek Speed Concept [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:

I'm certainly very drawn to this case for the ease of packing, but im worried about what happens if it's mishandled, or something gets dropped on top of it. I think I'd probably be too anxious about the possibility of damage

Although the shipping is very expensive(about $250), the bike box alan triathlon easyfit is looking like the best option. I'd rather pay a bit more for a hard case that doesn't require disassembly of the front end of the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike travel case for Trek Speed Concept [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbradley11 wrote:
I’ve got the Scicon hard case to travel with my Speed Concept. Same size as yours. I do have to remove the base bar, but it’s pretty simple. You take out the three bolts underneath, turn the bars, and you’re set. Price is great on probikekit right now. I’ve probably flown 20-25 times with it and haven’t had an issue.

I took off the basebar and aerobars yesterday to see what that was like. Not too bad, takes max 10 minutes to get off, max 10 minutes to get on. But my basebar seems like it can only tilt down about 45 degrees, I can't get it to lay flat next to the fork, because the Di2 cables are so short. Does anyone know if that will limit my ability to use something like the scicon aero evolution? Photo of this:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you disconnect the di2 wires from your junction box that I assume is somewhere around your stem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take the front brake cover off and release the brake cable. That will give you the additional mobility to lay the bar flat.

Quote | Reply
gregnemes wrote:
tessar wrote:

I'm certainly very drawn to this case for the ease of packing, but im worried about what happens if it's mishandled, or something gets dropped on top of it. I think I'd probably be too anxious about the possibility of damage

Although the shipping is very expensive(about $250), the bike box alan triathlon easyfit is looking like the best option. I'd rather pay a bit more for a hard case that doesn't require disassembly of the front end of the bike.

I've had the Scicon soft case for several years, so easy to pack, but I've always been nervous about the vulnerability of the front end bars. Worst fears came true on a recent trip. Cracked base bar. Luckily fairly small, so it was an easy repair. Someone I know just had her front bars smashed using the same bag.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike travel case for Trek Speed Concept [awesomeaunt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awesomeaunt wrote:
gregnemes wrote:
tessar wrote:

I've had the Scicon soft case for several years, so easy to pack, but I've always been nervous about the vulnerability of the front end bars. Worst fears came true on a recent trip. Cracked base bar. Luckily fairly small, so it was an easy repair. Someone I know just had her front bars smashed using the same bag.

Ugh I'm so sorry to hear that! Soft case is out for me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregnemes wrote:
Ugh I'm so sorry to hear that! Soft case is out for me!

I've used an Evoc soft case with the bars removed (both for my road bike and my Shiv), and the trick for me has been to wrap a bunch of clothes and other soft things around the delicate parts, and also use a sheet of cardboard around everything to dissipate any impact.

That has worked pretty well for me, although I just ordered a Scicon hard case.

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out PBK hard case. Essentially it’s the same as BBA but free shipping. You have to take the bike apart a little more than the tri case. I paid 350 for my hard case and it works very well with my LG frame.

I don’t post enough so my opinions must be considered spam.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bike travel case for Trek Speed Concept [CDAtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can one of my fellow SC size large owners do me a favor? My bike is being shipped now, and I am wondering if it will fit with the Evoc Road Bike Bag Pro. The base bar needs to be under 50 cm wide. Is that the case?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took my speed concept to Nice in the Thule round trip pro. Had to remove base bar but not a big deal. Bike, wheels, tools, shoes all under 50#. A buddy of mine to his to Cozumel in the scion. TSA unzipped it and left the base bar exposed. It came out with bags stacked on it.
When we went to France I zip tied the base bar to the frame but TSA was nice enough to cut it for me so the bar would bang around. Ass Hats.
Quote Reply

Prev Next