Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I procrastinate and waffle and whine and then go outside and it's fine. My brain sucks.

Rain is way worse than snow, so kudos to you for getting out there.

We keep getting snow and then it warms up and then it snows again, so we have either bare ground, nice snowpack or treacherous icy death and you don't always know ahead of time. Keeps it "interesting".
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [dogchili94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Heh, seen that before - I really hope someone bought her a set of spikes for Christmas.

Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:

Heh, seen that before - I really hope someone bought her a set of spikes for Christmas.

Actually, that happened in February 2014, so it was probably forgotten by the time Xmas came around

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 from 2 so far.

Managed the full 100 2 years ago, with a triple on the last day IIRC, but skipped last years due to remembering quite how intense 100 in 100 is... Back again this year - will be happy with a 70, but will see how much Christmas impacts it and go from there!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just finished a nice 4 miler up here at the Ranch and after dropping my run into the ST tracker I couldn't help but gaze up the list to find that Bluestacks is on fire again (this is the same guy from last year yes?). It's day two and while I'm happily sitting "one up" with three runs dude-man is sitting at 14... FOUR-f*cking- TEEN. I love this guy!!! What an inspiration!!!

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
Just finished a nice 4 miler up here at the Ranch and after dropping my run into the ST tracker I couldn't help but gaze up the list to find that Bluestacks is on fire again (this is the same guy from last year yes?). It's day two and while I'm happily sitting "one up" with three runs dude-man is sitting at 14... FOUR-f*cking- TEEN. I love this guy!!! What an inspiration!!!

Don't be fooled. Last year he only averaged a little over 2 runs per day.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget treacherous icy death hiding under a layer of the soft fluffy stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
Don't forget treacherous icy death hiding under a layer of the soft fluffy stuff.

This is my cul-de-sac. My dog is so confused when she gets yanked off her feet as I try not to fall. :(
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:

I've said it before; I'll say it again. "When acid rain freezes, you get acid snow"

In fact, in South Jersey, we don't even get 'treacherous icy death' and 'soft fluffy stuff.' We get a semi-frozen semi-corrosive slurry, covering rocks and sand and gravel and shoes and needles and underwear and all sorts of other sh!t mixed in. When that all dries out, the slush is gone, but all that other crap is still out there, usually migrating onto the part of the road I'm using, and collecting in any number of brand new potholes

Last edited by: RandMart: Dec 2, 19 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I actually liked running in the freezing rain yesterday better than postholing through the plowed-over rubbish on the overpass today.

Be safe out there everyone..

Quote | Reply
I haven’t been running since I had IT Band issues at Mont-Tremblant in 2017 and walked the entire thing. After two years of fighting it I gave up and switched to gravel cycling. Work and life has gotten in the way since then and I don’t have the time to train like I used to, so I decided to give running a shot again.

I started 4-6 weeks ago and am using this challenge as my big motivator. I’ve also been using it to try and train my idiot husky so that we can go bikejoring someday. My lab mix decided it was unfair that he didn’t get to go, so I now have a 2 dog sled lead that I connect to a running belt. My neighbors are thoroughly enjoying watching me. I’ve been running easy but opened it up for a few minutes today as my dogs don’t really get to run... they tend to walk fast while I run, and man was it fun to watch my Husky stretch out and actually run.

Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [JMosey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JMosey wrote:
I haven’t been running since I had IT Band issues at Mont-Tremblant in 2017 and walked the entire thing. After two years of fighting it I gave up and switched to gravel cycling. Work and life has gotten in the way since then and I don’t have the time to train like I used to, so I decided to give running a shot again.

I started 4-6 weeks ago and am using this challenge as my big motivator. I’ve also been using it to try and train my idiot husky so that we can go bikejoring someday. My lab mix decided it was unfair that he didn’t get to go, so I now have a 2 dog sled lead that I connect to a running belt. My neighbors are thoroughly enjoying watching me. I’ve been running easy but opened it up for a few minutes today as my dogs don’t really get to run... they tend to walk fast while I run, and man was it fun to watch my Husky stretch out and actually run.

Oh great, now we have all the dogs on 100/100 too. Next thing you know slowman is sitting on the couch and his dogs are entering their trianing into the log. I bet they kick the ass of Bluestack!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The important question is which of the six quadrupedal gaits counts towards the 100/100?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not replying to you for any particular reason, Tom, but can we get an app for the 100/100?

It turns out that the extra time it takes me to check my 100/100 standings is really cutting into the time I could devote to arguing in the LR. I checked the 100/100 standings 3 times already today. With all that navigating, I could have persuaded somebody of something in the LR. If we had an app, I could probably check every 30 minutes without altering my current lifestyle at all.

I was most happy today when I was in 17th place and Monty was in 18th place (at about 3pm).
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Not replying to you for any particular reason, Tom, but can we get an app for the 100/100?

It turns out that the extra time it takes me to check my 100/100 standings is really cutting into the time I could devote to arguing in the LR. I checked the 100/100 standings 3 times already today. With all that navigating, I could have persuaded somebody of something in the LR. If we had an app, I could probably check every 30 minutes without altering my current lifestyle at all.

I was most happy today when I was in 17th place and Monty was in 18th place (at about 3pm).

Does anyone ever convince anyone of anything in the LR?
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:

They don’t even know it, but I am dominating them! Ha ha!

Don’t tell them.
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:

They don’t even know it, but I am dominating them! Ha ha!

Don’t tell them.

This is true

I think?

I mean, that's what Jane tells me is true

So it's true

Right?

I think?

Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Breaking 2 (forums) Challenge: dominate 100/100 and the LR. Who is so versatile, so willing to suffer, and so willing to suffer fools?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, back again for attempt #6 at 100 in 100. Unlike my wife (3 ror 4), so far I'm 2 for 5. The 2018/2019 season ended in mid-february with a calf pull on an easy run, but I had already run a very successful 50km trail race by that time, and a month off for full recovery saw me back again in July running the absolutely insane Pikes Peak Ultra. Last year my wife managed to run her full 100/100 all the way across the US (almost): starting in Philadelphia in December and then tracking all the way across the country as we did a few months of #vanlife after selling our house, finishing at Pt. Reyes, CA at the Pacific. It was quite something. As usual these last few years, I've been totally non-competitive but enjoying a bit of exercise here and there, and actually staying in better shape than in several recent years. I start 100/100 this year already regularly running 6 miles 3x a week, so it's not so much of a fresh start this time around. I also backpacked 230 miles in August (Cape Wrath Trail in Scotland), which led to some (temporary) weight loss and was more of a good aerobic base than I had anticipated.

It will be a challenge to keep it as interesting this year since we now live in Galisteo, NM ... a tiny village which so far has only really given up 3 or 4 running routes directly from our door. The staples are a 10km trail loop which is quite varied, just a little challenging and very scenic, and a 10km road out and back which is similarly scenic but somewhat tedious if also faster. The nearby Galisteo Basin Preserve has more trails but is more or less a mandatory drive to get to, and the Sangre de Cristos Mtns, while the home to many incredible trail runs, are already snowed in and will remain so for 100/100 season.

Good luck to everyone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Breaking 2 (forums) Challenge: dominate 100/100 and the LR. Who is so versatile, so willing to suffer, and so willing to suffer fools?

And you don't need cheater shoes, a boatload of pacers, and a magic green box to follow!!!

Good luck, Jane! I'm on your side!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I may jinx myself. This year I want to establish a base pace. Working the purist definition: of running every single day for minimum 30 miniutes... all my runs to be under 8min a mile. 3 days in
1 - 7:39
2 - 7:19
3 - 7:28

Show up to blow up.

Maybe screwed tomorrow, strong rains predicted
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surprisingly 2/2 given the 2 feet of snow outside and my epic eat-shit experience in my last 'cross race of the year on Saturday.

Will treadmill it tonight and test out the Zwift footpod in advance of leading some of the forthcoming Challenge Support runs. Admittedly I am wondering how quickly I'm gonna kill myself trying to look at Zwift on the treadmill given my coordination skills...

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been out of the game so long, it feels like I'm relearning everything.

I can't believe how sh!tty slow I'm running. But I'm running. Bad back, shoulder, extra 15 lbs and all.

Anyone got recovery tips they swear by? I'm paying closer attention to sleep, trying to stay reasonably hydrated, cutting back on holiday food crap, etc. I know it's not magic, but I'm not 30 anymore. Hell, I'm not 40 anymore. Just trying to avoid an epic collapse from accumulated fatigue.

Thanks -J

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is tough. But it's tougher when you're stupid. -John Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [karlaj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
*stupid question alert*

So I'm probably going to bank a run tonight so that I dont have to run tomorrow (I already did todays run in the morning). Does banking a run only work if you push it forward to the next day - or can you miss a day and do 2 runs the next day?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official 13th Annual 2019/2020 Slowtwitch 100/100 Challenge Thread [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
*stupid question alert*

So I'm probably going to bank a run tonight so that I dont have to run tomorrow (I already did todays run in the morning). Does banking a run only work if you push it forward to the next day - or can you miss a day and do 2 runs the next day?

Thanks!

You don't necessarily need to do a make-up run the very next day ... you can double-up some day in February if you want [or not, that's OK too]

Quote Reply

Prev Next