Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fenix 5x for Ironmans?
Quote | Reply
Just Wanted some input from anyone using a Garmin Fenix 5x for triathlons, particularly Iron distance races.

The watch seems to be one of the most affordable for the features included, though the size and weight is something I'm a little cautious about. Does the watch become a little cumbersome during a race, and could it possibly even create unwanted drag when swimming? Is there a substantial difference between the feel of it and the Forerunner 935/945?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5x for Ironmans? [Redskywalker7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Redskywalker7 wrote:
Just Wanted some input from anyone using a Garmin Fenix 5x for triathlons, particularly Iron distance races.

The watch seems to be one of the most affordable for the features included, though the size and weight is something I'm a little cautious about. Does the watch become a little cumbersome during a race, and could it possibly even create unwanted drag when swimming? Is there a substantial difference between the feel of it and the Forerunner 935/945?

Thanks!

The 5X isn't heavy or at all cumbersome, I don't remove it to pull off a wetty, as for drag created by a watch I'd concentrate on the million and one other things that create drag in the water before I worry about my watch!

Downside of the 5X is the altimeter (barometric sensor) is made from chocolate, expect it to fail and you won't be disappointed, the upside is Gamin's fantastic warranty and out of warranty service. (I guess they know it's an issue, I'm on my third 5X now and it's been replaced out of warranty, no quibbles)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Redskywalker7 wrote:
could it possibly even create unwanted drag when swimming?

Why is that unwanted? At the pull and push phase additional drag should be wanted, because that causes a forward propulsion, to be compared to the additional propulsion of paddles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a 5x, but I've only just retired a Fenix 3 after 3 years of service - never had a problem with it.

Replacing it with a FR945. Only thing I wasn't happy about with the 3 was the weight which was noticable for me but I do have skinny wrists - so I guess the weight side of it is quite subjective.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5x for Ironmans? [p9ul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the 5X and loved it. Just recently upgraded to a 6X so I could get a few more options that it overs over the 5X but they are both fantastic for long course racing (and training). I also have a 935 and while the 935 is much lighter, it is NOT significant enough for me to put down the 5X/6X. Now it just sits in a drawer.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race/train in the 5X plus DLC and have no problems with the weight. I do have the titanium model so it’s around 30g lighter but I even train/swim and sometimes even race in the Ti band. As previously mentioned the altimeter is shit and I am on my third 5X but they replace quickly. I have heard that swimming regularly is what’s messing up the altimeter as the chlorine is causing issues and if you let the watch soak in water for 5 minutes after a swim it should address that but I can’t consistently remember to do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 5x is the watch that I train and race in. It has been a great all around watch that has enough battery life for a full ironman. I prefer the mix of metal with the Fenix series instead of only plastic with the 935/45. You won't really notice any weight or drag difference with it if you are using the silicone wristbands. I also have the titanium band for everyday wear and I wouldn't recommend using that for workouts as it is heavy. The band quick snap system makes them very easy to change though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Best Buy black Friday deal on the 5X appears to be active this morning($299).
Quote Reply