Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Experience with "The Black Bibs"
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any experience with using bibs from here: https://www.theblackbibs.com/
$65 for their Plus bibs is a great price.....as long as they still are decent and last a bit.

I have always used Louis Garneau bibs, but things aren't getting any cheaper....
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with "The Black Bibs" [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
found this review
https://crankjoy.com/review-black-bibs/

Also some folks on Bikeforums seemed to think they were pretty good.

Man, I was thinking the other day I'd like to get some black bibs with no logos... I think I might try a pair for $40.

Nice find.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do a search on the Paceline Forum -- a couple pretty good threads there with feedback.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two pairs. They're not as nice as my De Soto 400 Mile bibs... but they cost about a third as much, and they're pretty damn good. And if you have a problem (I only had a question) you can email an actual person and get someone actually responding to what you wrote, not getting you on a script. That's just like De Soto too, but way better than other cheap cycling clothing companies.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet. Never heard of these but just ordered two pairs of the basic bibs. Was thinking I need to add a few more to my collection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had mine long enough to do a few rides in them now. I just bought the no frills $40 ($46 shipped) bibs. It's tough to tell somebody else what they'll like/hate about bibs, but I'll try for those looking at them in the future.

Initial thoughts out of the package, they feel nice enough and seem well constructed. You're not going to feel them and think these are $300 bibs, but there was nothing wrong with them. Not a ton of stretch in the straps, but they fit well enough. They are basically as advertised, no frills basic bibs. I had read some dislike about the lack of a leg gripper. This hasn't been an issue for me, they sit about where they should without riding up, although they are just slightly longer than I prefer (although not drastically so) Springing for the grippers is a fair chunk of additional $$ (over 50%) - but it might be a nice splurge if you're worried about keeping the legs in place.

Just feeling them it seems like they put most of the work into the chamois, in fact just handling it you'd think it came from a much more expensive pair of bibs... and that's the problem. There is just too damn much chamois. It's both too thick and too wide for me (comparing to my go to Castelli volo bibs or Rapha core line bibs) and both rides I ended up with a fair amount of chafing around an hour in. (Road position) Full disclosure I seem to have trouble with anything wide (I am one of the folks that zip tied the old adamo noses together) and in general ride hard saddles with minimal padding.

I am going to do a few more rides and see if a little breaking in helps, but they seem like a no go for me currently. It's unfortunate, I really want to like them, as I'd love to just buy a nice pair of black bibs without a scorpion / whatever logo running down the leg. I could see if you can handle the width/padding or even are looking for that these might be perfect.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with "The Black Bibs" [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got the nicer ones and have 2 rides in them now. Agree about chamois width, it's definitely pretty wide. Although that was sort of nice on my Dash as frequently the chamois in other shorts lines up right with the edge of the saddle, which can prove...problematic.

They feel pretty nice for "cheap" shorts and the gripper is a solid upgrade, although not super grippy. I have to be careful to line them up with my existing tan lines ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did my first ride in the upgraded bike shorts- they are very comfortable - but it was only a 50mile ride- I think they are good value for money.

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with "The Black Bibs" [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
feman wrote:
I just did my first ride in the upgraded bike shorts- they are very comfortable - but it was only a 50mile ride- I think they are good value for money.

Thanks for the update, I am going to order a pair of the upgraded bibs right after the holidays..........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered 2 pairs of the basic bibs right after you made the original post. I finally had a chance to rid with them this morning. They got here quick enough but I was sick for a few days.

Anyways, after my first ride (1 hour on the trainer) I'm happy to report that they are pretty darn good. As others have mentioned that pad is wider than expected but it didn't cause any issues for me. I also had no issues with the legs riding up despite the lack of any type of gripper.

I'll keep riding with them through the trainer season and into Spring. Assuming that they hold up well there's a good chance I'll be ordering more at some point. Thanks for the good find.
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with "The Black Bibs" [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After being told my ass wasn't really deserving of such a prominent display through my ancient Pearl Izumi's I spent $35.00 plus shipping for The Black Shorts. I like them, the chamois was a bit weird at first but on the TT bike it was way better than anything else I've tried. Bought a second pair.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with "The Black Bibs" [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had the $65 plus bibs for about 6 weeks now. Various road rides from lots of climbing to 135 mile long rides.

Bottom line is that they are comfortable. Material isn't anything fancy, but seems to stretch and compress effectively to provide a good fit for a wide range of body types (I'm much more on the short and stocky side, so those "Euro" fit bibs have no chance with me). The power band is a nice touch for the extra money. The chamois isn't anything to brag about when looking at it, or feeling it with your hand, but when riding, I barely notice it...which is kind of the whole point.

Probably went through about 7 wash cycles (always in a lingerie bag, delicate cycle, hang dry) and seems to be holding up like any other pair of bibs I own. Will likely order a couple more as the price can't be beat and a lot of the other more expensive bibs I own don't fit as well (which I know is personal to my body type).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bringing this thread back from the deep for an update for anyone else:

These do NOT work for me at all. The chamois just doesn't remotely align with my sit bones, an issue I've never had on Castelli, Giordana, Pearl Izumi, or Performance house brand. They're properly sized and fit great, but the chamois just feels like it's behind my ass. My sit bones are literally off the padded chamois altogether, on both my road bike with traditional saddle and more upright and my ISM in a more fwd rotated position (no way in hell.) Initial quality otherwise feels great, but yeah, unusable for me. For perspective, I'm 6ft, 155lb, bought the mediums. Aaaaaaand I just discovered that their website says they don't accept returns after it's been worn. My fault for not checking first, I suppose, but cool.

EDIT: I'm going to exchange for a small per TBB's recommendation

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Last edited by: justinhorne: Nov 26, 19 13:23
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with "The Black Bibs" [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you must have had them on backwards...

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with $40 DHB bibs from wiggle.com They're great plus they have a silicone leg band. I'm 5'8" 150lbs. I got a small and the fit is on point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I had the exact same experience as Justin. Seemed to fit perfectly, yet sit bones went completely unpadded. After multiple emails, and a not very friendly response, I just gave up. They claimed they had never heard of anyone else having my problem. I really wanted to like them, but.....
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with "The Black Bibs" [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just as an update on my initial review...been riding in these about 8 months now. I use them once a week as I have 3 pairs now, and the durability has held up. No see through areas, no stitching falling apart, and the fit and stretch is the same as it was when it was brand new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup.

Mine are good too

Still like my Rapha‘s more ... but those are 5x the price :)

I’d buy another pair of these and would recommend to others
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For cheap bibs I buy DHB from the UK. I started out buying them for use under baggies for mountain biking. Now, on occasion, I wear them on the road. They seem way better than other cheap options I have tried, like Voler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same results for me. Been using two pairs of the basic bibs since last December. They are mainly used on the trainer but also serve as emergency outside shorts if something's not clean. All good and in fact I just ordered two pairs of the basic shorts for the upcoming trainer season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazon sells Przewalski bibs for $30. I liked them quite a lot after having done a bunch of 60 mile plus rides. Great value imo.

These sponeed shorts are even better. I have done a 110 mile ride in them, very comfy even in major heat.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Last edited by: alex_korr: Nov 27, 19 19:11
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with "The Black Bibs" [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing that attracts me about these (they're on my christmas list) is that they have tall bibs. I've never worn bibs before and i worry with the other generic bibs about how short they'll be (i'm almost 6'-7"). It's good to hear positive reviews for the kind of riding I do - i.e. 60-90 minute trainer rides.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm quite happy with both of my The Black Bibs bibs. They fit wonderfully, hold up well, and didn't break the bank.

Someone mentioned the Przewalski bibs from Amazon. I have two pairs of them, and like them also. The Przewalksi's have silicone leg grippers, which aren't my preferred gripper materials. But they are really, really affordable.

I'm so glad we have a variety of high quality and affordable bibshort options in 2019. The $40-60 options we have now are better quality than the $200 options from 15 years ago.

I wish bike hardware followed the same quality/price trend!

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with "The Black Bibs" [MarkRebuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkRebuck wrote:

I wish bike hardware followed the same quality/price trend!

Amen to that.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Experience with "The Black Bibs" [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Amazon sells Przewalski bibs for $30. I liked them quite a lot after having done a bunch of 60 mile plus rides. Great value imo.

These sponeed shorts are even better. I have done a 110 mile ride in them, very comfy even in major heat.

I have to say the Jsoneed shorts are possibly the worst shorts I’ve ever used

Fortunately AMZ accepts returns.
Quote Reply