Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [jmkizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I really dislike the Apple TV remote. I sometimes have a hard time selecting workouts. I'd appreciate suggestions on a replacement.

Lately I've started using the iPhone Apple TV remote app. Its still not 100% great but it's way more responsive in Zwift than the regular remote.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
I use it, and it's fine. I have to use the companion app simultaneously because you can only hook up 1 bluetooth sensor to the appletv at once though. (I have quarq, tacx neo & hr monitor).

I bought a viiiva heart rate strap that functions as ant to Bluetooth bridge, ie ant cadence sensor connects viiiva heart strap which in turn transmits heart rate and cadence data to Apple TV via Bluetooth. Kickr connects directly to Apple TV via bluetooth

Yann

http://www.custombikexcessories.com
Instagram
Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great info here. I'm also looking to upgrade my dying laptop zwift setup with an Apple TV and a dedicated monitor.

A question for Zwifters on AppleTV...

Is there anyway to run zwift and YouTube on the same screen on Apple TV?

Currently on my puny 13" laptop I could split screen to have zwift on one half of the screen and YouTube on the other half.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [Cloudberrie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Appletv only has picture in picture if you're using the apple tv app currently. So for now, if your tv has a picture in picture mode that you could use, it might be possible, but I don't think it can be done exclusively through the Appletv
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [Cloudberrie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apple TV does have picture in picture but its limited. I've never tried it but it does not sound like it will work with Zwift and Youtube.
https://techcrunch.com/...h-two-shows-at-once/

FWIW, I got an Apple TV shortly after starting this thread last year. I love it for Zwift. Except for the remote being a little wonky, it runs the app great (for regular video streaming a Roku is better and cheaper though). My main goal was to avoid purchasing a new laptop and avoiding the (minor) hassle of plugging in a laptop into my TV each time I wanted to Zwift. Mission accomplished.

On the other hand, if you want to run Zwift and Youtube at the same time, the Apple TV does have a hidden benefit - at $179, you don't have to pay all that much more for a usable laptop ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With a long winter of Zwifting ahead I am looking into upgrading my Zwift set up and was looking for some advice from those who use Apple TV. I currently have a Wahoo Kickr, a HR monitor and use my ipad which is wired to a monitor I picked up 2 years ago on which the graphics are fine but not nearly as good as what I see on alot of other people's set ups. My major problem these days is I can only do a ride of about 3:00 maximum with the ipad linked to the monitor before the ipad runs out of juice. I have had a couple longer rides/races where I ran out with a very short distance to go which was very, very frustrating. If I hook the ipad up to a power source rather than the monitor at the start it does not run out of juice but then I have very small screen for any long ride. Also, the ipad is not dedicated for Zwifting but is the family ipad, meaning every so often its been run down by my daughter when I go to use it. Arghh.

To surmount the above issues for the winter ahead, I am considering getting an Apple TV 4 and a bigger/better viewing platform (I guess a TV rather than a computer monitor?). My questions:

-Are the graphics alot better with Apple TV 4k than with an ipad?
-Any recommendations on what I should be looking for in a TV to maximize the benefits of the Apple TV 4? How much should I be looking to spend minimum for a decent sized screen? Any products that are great or to avoid or which are not compatible with Apple TV 4K?
-Do you need to pay a monthly subscription for the Apple TV 4k if you only use it for Zwifting and don't watch TV on it?
-What is The Cable mentioned above and why would you want or need it? To date, I have not had one and don't miss it (I think). If that matters at all, I currently only have Zwift on the ipad and do not have an iphone.
-Any other problems/pitfalls/things to consider I am forgetting?

thanks in advance for any advice,
Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

-Are the graphics alot better with Apple TV 4k than with an ipad?

It depends on how old the iPad is. I'll roll with a yes on this, ATV4K wins.

-Any recommendations on what I should be looking for in a TV to maximize the benefits of the Apple TV 4? How much should I be looking to spend minimum for a decent sized screen? Any products that are great or to avoid or which are not compatible with Apple TV 4K?

Cheap shitty 4K screens are exactly that. They look bad, low frame rates, HDMI input lag, etc. I've found Samsung to be on point for price/performance. ATV4K will work with any HDMI screen, even 1080 only. The 4K in the name is misleading, imo.

-Do you need to pay a monthly subscription for the Apple TV 4k if you only use it for Zwifting and don't watch TV on it?

No.

-What is The Cable mentioned above and why would you want or need it? To date, I have not had one and don't miss it (I think). If that matters at all, I currently only have Zwift on the ipad and do not have an iphone.

Without scrolling up... I assume it's to do with the 3 BLE device limitation on the ATV. Here's what the CABLE is/does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvrYcOyd7wA Here's a run-thru of that 3 BLE issue and a workaround: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4F7N67YT9Q

-Any other problems/pitfalls/things to consider I am forgetting?

Don't forget your towel!... and a fan.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [Bikeman2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bikeman2 wrote:
Hmm. My zwift companion app does not drain that much power.

I actually have the same issue. My iphone (7plus).......I can swing about an hour 30....45 minute ride before I'm in trouble of a drained battery (I set the screen brightness on almost black as well). I have to consciously make sure my phone is completely charged before I get onto Zwift. This thread is a good reminder that I really should switch to AppleTV now to avoid phone battery drain issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsmith wrote:
My major problem these days is I can only do a ride of about 3:00 maximum with the ipad linked to the monitor before the ipad runs out of juice. I have had a couple longer rides/races where I ran out with a very short distance to go which was very, very frustrating. If I hook the ipad up to a power source rather than the monitor at the start it does not run out of juice but then I have very small screen for any long ride. Also, the ipad is not dedicated for Zwifting but is the family ipad, meaning every so often its been run down by my daughter when I go to use it. Arghh.

I use an iPad hooked up to my TV using a Lightning Digital AV Adapter, this allows me mirror the iPad on the TV while charging at the same time. There's also versions for monitors and older devices...

support.apple.com/en-us/HT202044

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Last edited by: Warbird: Oct 21, 20 16:09
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift on Apple TV? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
jsmith wrote:
My major problem these days is I can only do a ride of about 3:00 maximum with the ipad linked to the monitor before the ipad runs out of juice. I have had a couple longer rides/races where I ran out with a very short distance to go which was very, very frustrating. If I hook the ipad up to a power source rather than the monitor at the start it does not run out of juice but then I have very small screen for any long ride. Also, the ipad is not dedicated for Zwifting but is the family ipad, meaning every so often its been run down by my daughter when I go to use it. Arghh.

I use an iPad hooked up to my TV using a Lightning Digital AV Adapter, this allows me mirror the iPad on the TV while charging at the same time. There's also versions for monitors and older devices...

support.apple.com/en-us/HT202044

I use the same device on my iPhone to mirror Zwift to the TV. Although the lightning bolt shows as its charging, I still at most could possibly squeeze a 2 hour session before my phone battery would be at 0.
Quote Reply

Prev Next