Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Surrey / Delta BC: Bike route recommendations and a bunch of questions
Quote | Reply
We've just bought a house in Surrey BC, in the Panorama Ridge area. We will be by Boundary Lake Park, near the intersection of highways 91 and 10. A few questions:

- Any good bike route recommendations?
- Do people drive out of the city, park the car, and bike from there, or do they start their rides from home?
- Are there clubs or people who go out for rides regularly?
- Is biking in Washington State an option? How does that work?

I don't know Surrey at all and spent five days in a car with a realtor zipping from one house to another so I couldn't get a sense of what the trails were like.

Looking forward to biking outdoors again after two years in Yellowknife with one chip-sealed, permafrost road!
Quote Reply
Re: Surrey / Delta BC: Bike route recommendations and a bunch of questions [hyr00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont know much about that area, however if you drive to Port Moody i would be happy to show you some of my routes. Theres a nice little 70 km loop from Port Moody into the city - Stanley Park - Nth Van and back to Port Moody.

The climbs up to Cypress and Seymour Mnt are good in the summer too. Happy to connect and explore with you.
Quote Reply
Re: Surrey / Delta BC: Bike route recommendations and a bunch of questions [hyr00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You shouldn't need to drive anywhere to get away from major traffic in that area, it is fairly suburban out that way. You are very close to the Delta Watershed park which is a great park full of MTB/gravel trails. For Road riding and time trialing, 0 Ave is very popular. This is right along the CAN/US border (on Canada side) and it is very flat, straight and limited traffic. This goes all the way out to Abbotsford. SFRR (hwy 17) is not bad connector to ride along though it is a hwy shoulder. Theres lots of good low traffic farm roads all through the valley including Surrey, Langley etc. Ride over to Steveston (Southern Richmond) and check out Sanctuary Cafe, a cycling centric cafe. Lots of group ride start/stop here and they'll have some good info. There's several clubs, the biggest probably being Glotmann Simpson and you see them everywhere. You can ride down to the border and cross fairly easily and made even easier with a NEXUS card.

A lot depends on what kind of riding you are loking for and what distance/length you are looking at. As mentioned above, Cypress and Seymour are the local big climbs But that is probably 50km from your place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in the south surrey area around 152nd and hwy99 and typically I head down to closer to 0 ave and head towards abbotsford/chilliwack. There are plenty of routes through surrey/delta and richmond but I hate city riding with all the lights so I stuck out that way. Alternatively I will drive out to Vancouver West side and go around Marine Drive, UBC or head towards the S2S.
I usually ride solo so can't comment on whether there are groups in the area.
Quote Reply
Re: Surrey / Delta BC: Bike route recommendations and a bunch of questions [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. So getting out of the Panorama Ridge on bike from home to head down to 0 Avenue is feasible?

I'm looking for longer rides, usually 60-200km. I do the shorter ones at home on the bike trainer. I don't like driving out and parking the car somewhere to start a ride, so the more rides I can start from home the better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I'd think so depending on your comfort and route preferences. I believe there is a good bike lane down most of King George blvd and it would be about 15-20km each way. There is lights along there so you may prefer to just drive. You will have lots of great options to get away from traffic when you head east of 152 st, there is lots of farm land and a lot less traffic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea if it was me I would head East on hwy 10, turn right onto King George, left at 40th avenue and continue along until taking a right at 184th and that will take you along to 0 avenue. That will only go down to aldergrove but you can always hop on 8 or 16ave from there and that will go all the way down to chilliwack.
Quote Reply
Re: Surrey / Delta BC: Bike route recommendations and a bunch of questions [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome - thanks.
Quote Reply