Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

wheelset recommendations (<$400, tubeless)
Quote | Reply
I'm building up a road frame for commuting and general/casual riding use. Trying to pick a wheelset for this build. I'm looking for rim brake wheelset - tubeless compatible, relatively durable, somewhat on trend with rim widths, and under $400 is my perfect wheel. I've done lots of research and have a few options/ideas but I think a more fun way to do this is just throw it out this way and see what recommendations/ideas y'all come back with. Plus, less for y'all to read ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: wheelset recommendations (<$400, tubeless) [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using a set of Boyd Altamonts I build up from ProWheelBuilder... The were over 400, but not by much. Tubeless compatible and I LOVE them. 25mm wide.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hunt makes exactly what you’re looking for.
Quote Reply
Re: wheelset recommendations (<$400, tubeless) [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was all about them for a while, but the 4 seasons are now $409. So not exactly fitting all criteria. I could still splurge on those it's only a few extra bucks but technically they don't fit all the criteria. 400 is already pushing what I'd prefer to spend. I'd rather be closer to 300 or under.

I think the price increase is new. I looked at em a few weeks ago and they were 379, but not anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well you can just sign up for their email list. Everyone and their mother will be emailing black Friday coupons
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I think my 4 Seasons were 379. Very happy with them on my gravel bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I don't have these, but another kind of Mavics and have been happy with them.

2019 Mavic Cosmic Elite UST Wheelset

$489.00
Free shipping. No tax
My Bike Shop

https://mybikeshop.com/...QuTomeRoCLIMQAvD_BwE

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano hands down. I picked up a set of the Ultegra wheels for just under $300. They are on my road bike with sector 28s on them.
Quote Reply
Re: wheelset recommendations (<$400, tubeless) [Zachreligious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, I assume you mean the WH-RS500. That's a model I hadn't considered before. Internal width is only 15, that's not ideal but overall those satisfy lots of my criteria. And I'd trust something made by Shimano on durability. Thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BDOP DIY wheel kit.
And a local builder if you can't/don't want to DIY.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know anything about this place. Maybe it's old news to ST, I don't know. Velomine. I found it several weeks ago, while on the same quest. I haven't bought anything yet, but have spend many hours looking at their wheel builds. Interesting combos, very good prices, and some good closeouts. Their eBay feedback is extensive and all good.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Nov 18, 19 16:28
Quote Reply
Re: wheelset recommendations (<$400, tubeless) [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultegra hubs, DT Swiss R460 rims (18c internal, tubeless compatible), $269.

https://www.velomine.com/...amp;products_id=5152

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Nov 18, 19 19:55
Quote Reply
Re: wheelset recommendations (<$400, tubeless) [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a wheelset from Velomine a couple years back. Ultegra hubs laced to H-son archetype rims (23mm external, not sure on internal off the top of my head). Have some 32 mm gravel king tires on them and they get used for commuting and gravel rides. Good solid wheelset. Just had to true once in 3 years, otherwise no other maintenance

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: wheelset recommendations (<$400, tubeless) [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should add that while I’ve heard people have run them tubeless, they are not specifically a tubeless rim

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: wheelset recommendations (<$400, tubeless) [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also bought a wheelset from velomine. 27.5+ wheelset for a Fargo. Quick shipping, good price. Seems like the closeout a lot of wheels specifically. Good place to check for any wheelset.

Excel sports may have what OP is looking for as well.
Quote Reply