Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is 2cm gonna make that big of a difference?
Quote | Reply
Ok, Im in the market for a Felt IA16 (currently riding a DA4 in 58cm).
There isn't a 58cm to be had any longer it appears but I have come across some 56's.
Do you think 2cm is going to make that big of a difference?
Quote Reply
Re: Is 2cm gonna make that big of a difference? [Dudaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends, but in general yes.

For me, a 56 is perfect on most bikes. I can make a 54 work in a pinch. And 58 is simply too big. So 2cm drastically impacts my fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Is 2cm gonna make that big of a difference? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where might ye be indianacyclist? I am in Greencastle.
Also, how tall are you since youre on a 56.
Last edited by: Dudaddy: Nov 18, 19 7:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The real key is how much it would affect your fit. Your arm rests may need 1cm to 2cm more stack. Not a biggie, and possibly more aero. But, you cannot exceed the max stack height. Then, you will need to be sure that you can get your target reach. The stems really are not easily interchangeable on the IA, so if you need a longer stem that could be a challenge (doable, but not as aesthetic as the factory stem).

So, plug in your fit coordinates and see what the cockpit configuration on a 56 would have to be.
Quote Reply
Re: Is 2cm gonna make that big of a difference? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As other poster mentioned, it probably depends where you fall....let’s say you barely fit a 54 because it is a little too big....well, then jumping to a 56 would likely make the big way too big. But, most people can probably fit on two different size bikes. I can fit a 58 and 61. But couldn’t go to a 56-in that instance, the “mere” 2
cm difference would make all the difference. So I think you need to understand your specific fit coordinates not just 58 “usually” works. Make sense?
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Nov 18, 19 7:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Yes. Somewhat in stack but more so in the reach department. I'm a devoted used bike buyer myself but would never consider going down in size. Forcing the fit will mean long-ass extensions, a long-ass stem, shoving your seat back, or some combo thereof. Best just to be patient and keep looking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One word....Yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dudaddy wrote:
Ok, Im in the market for a Felt IA16 (currently riding a DA4 in 58cm).
There isn't a 58cm to be had any longer it appears but I have come across some 56's.

A 58da and 56 ia have stack within 1mm. But the ia is just over 2cm less reach. The felt ia front end will accommodate this with ease.

A 58ia will match the reach of the 58da, but have 2cm more stack. So if you like a very low front end, and have bottomed out your da, you will be stuck. You can always bottom mount your aero bars, but that can run into clearance issues when turning. In short, If you have the horizontal stem on the da, and slammed aerobars, the 58ia will be too high.
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Nov 18, 19 15:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Don’t buy the wrong sized bike. There’s no good deal if it’s the wrong size, If you’re not sure, pay for a real fit and they have software to tell you exactly what the bike would look like to your fit coordinates. If the fitter does not have that, just go to a different one.
It’s probably the single most important thing you can do.
Quote Reply
Re: Is 2cm gonna make that big of a difference? [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info Rocket_racing!
The original stem on the DA was way too high so I did end up getting a horizontal stem but it still felt too high even with the aerobars mounted right on the base bars with no risers.
I think I may opt for getting the 56cm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#1 From my time in bike sales I noticed most guys ride bikes that are a bit too big for them. "My buddy needs a large, so I know that is what I need!" (Probably a different thread.)

#2 Going up a size is really bad. A bike that is too big just is not going to work.

#3 Going down a size is easily accomplished, and I have met many experienced riders find a size down works better.

I am 5' 9" in my bare feet. I rode a 54cm for years. Then I sized down to a 52 and ended up liking the fit much better- I could position myself more aggressively and us a longer stem. I find the handling tends to be better. I no longer care much about the listed size, but look for a 53cm c-t-c effective top tube. That is the only measurement I really look for.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the 58 fits I would go for that. Superdave who used to post here on occasion worked at felt when the IA was developed. In the long IA thread he recommended getting the largest frame that fits you. It will be a little more aerodynamic.

I could fit on a 51 or 54. I ended up with a 54 IA10.

I would consider getting a pre purchase fitting to figure out what size would work for you.
Quote Reply