Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL
Quote | Reply

In need for some comic amusement? Look no further.

*If you're not a fan of potty mouths, don't click this link*

Edit: I have many Sram and Zipp products in my garage and I'm happy with them. Hambini's opinions do not reflect any of my own, largely as I am not educated enough in this field to form an educated opinion one way or another. However I will say that since I learned of Zipp/SRAM, many years ago, their marketing department has been great at what they do.

Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: Nov 15, 19 10:43
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
> *If you're not a fan of potty mouths, don't click this link*

What about obnoxious blowhards? Should I click if I'm not a fan of them?

Edit: It's not the cursing that turns people off.
Last edited by: cujo: Nov 15, 19 10:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So.... at risk of posting on one of these bash threads... is he technically incorrect? If his argumenta are true, that the value of the rough surface only matters at high speeds and that the roughness must be applied at the leading edge of the body, then he raises a valid point. A golf ball is going 150 MPH - 200 MPH. By contrast, a bike wheel may only be going 60 MPH (top side, relative to ground speed). Zipp wheels have never seemed to test materially faster than other wheels (often lost) in most comparative tests. So, could that mean that Zipp's dimples really are marketing fodder?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geez, the boys at Flo are going to really need something for that burn.
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Josh portner said that the dimples helped with reattachment when going from high yaw to low yaw, a metric which wouldn't show up on most tests but certainly would be beneficial on the road. I see no reason to believe he's lying. Hambini, on the other hand, has all sorts of red flags, both in his results and how he conducts himself as a researcher
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Back in the day a substantial portion of the dimples were covered with decals. These days the decals seem imprinted so you can feel the dimples through them.

That makes the current generation of wheels faster, right?

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Hambini, on the other hand, has all sorts of red flags, both in his results and how he conducts himself as a researcher
No doubt. He does seem to struggle with facts and bears serious FLO hate. But, like the blind monkeys, he could occasionally stumble onto something real.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He could, that is true. But when one smart person I trust (josh) says he has wind tunnel data showing one thing, and a second smart person i dont trust (hambini) says another, I'm going to tend to trust josh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
He could, that is true. But when one smart person I trust (josh) says he has wind tunnel data showing one thing, and a second smart person i dont trust (hambini) says another, I'm going to tend to trust josh.

Given the choice between Josh and Hambini, I'll pick Josh and his Marginal Gains podcast over the foul mouth every time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

Given the choice between Josh and Hambini, I'll pick Josh and his Marginal Gains podcast over the foul mouth every time.

I'm particularly impressed by his ability to copy BBInfinite bottom brackets and pass them off as an original idea.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what a fucking clown.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:

I'm particularly impressed by his ability to copy BBInfinite bottom brackets and pass them off as an original idea.

That’s particularly egregious to me; BBinfinite is a great company that came up with a really unique solution that WORKS on a lot of bikes with continually creaking BBS... hate seeing them get ripped off.

Quote | Reply
one person is trying to sell you wheels the other isnt
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [cantswim24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the other guy is trying real hard to sell you that he's the smartest guy in the room.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who is this guy? ST curated thoughts on this Hambini person?

-------
http://www.y-rocket.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ON this children scientific TV show, they made a test with three different watermelons.
One of them greased, one heated, one had dimples. All of them supporting a physics theory. The question was : Wich one will travel farthest ?
I'll let you guess the answer....(the speeds weren't very high...;-) )

https://cve.grics.ca/...057/22407?start=true

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [TriSRV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aerospace engineer, probably works for Airbus. Did a huge wind tunnel study supposedly testing the effects of transient flow on wheels in a wind tunnel. Results seem questionable at best, potentially falsified since it seems unlikely Airbus spent tens of thousands of dollars on an employee's pet project running a wind tunnel after hours. Most likely falsified a letter claiming to be from lawyers representing flo. Also is a massive asshole whenever anyone questions his work, which definitely doesn't help his case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last time I checked Silca doesn't sell wheels. Josh doesn't work for zipp anymore, and his statement didn't come out until after he left.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://cyclingtips.com/.../josh-poertner-zipp/

it says ..

Josh is the Technical Director of legendary wheel company Zipp.

Its a bit out of date as he left to either to join Silca or created it not sure I think he created the company.
Anyhow I love his podcast and have listened to every one including where he said he worked for Zipp.

So please do your research before making comments, you should listen to Hambini everything he says makes alot of sense, ok you may not like his language but I find that funny and refreshing.

One of Hambini's videos goes into alot of detail about real world conditions never or rarely matching the exact angle of yaw measurements that can be derived in a wind tunnel and I am sure Josh and Zipp found examples of where the dimples have an effect but in reality where wind is hardly ever constant this could possibly be minimal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cantswim24 wrote:
https://cyclingtips.com/.../josh-poertner-zipp/

it says ..

Josh is the Technical Director of legendary wheel company Zipp.

Its a bit out of date as he left to either to join Silca or created it not sure I think he created the company.
Anyhow I love his podcast and have listened to every one including where he said he worked for Zipp.

So please do your research before making comments [.. snipped ]

I don't really have a comment to make. I'm just quoting your delicious post so I can find it again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He bought silca after leaving zipp.

I'm an engineer, I dont care about hambini's language, i dont like his science. I'm not going to just sit and listen to him because he throws around his credentials. People have been able to accurately model time trial performance using wind tunnel data for years. If the transient flow had the effect he claims it does, we would not be able to do this. Furthermore, his claimed 2.5% error is highly unlikely considering his protocol involves a person sitting on a bike. The chance that this person was able to sit so perfectly still for one 26 minute protocol is minimal, the chance this position is identical over 20 hours of testing is even less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couldn't get any further than the Boing 747
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I couldn't get any further than the Boing 747

Couldn’t even get to clicking the link

Habinabi is a joke
Quote Reply
Re: Hambini's take on Zipp Dimples ROFL [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I literally had nothing to do for a little while :)

Now I'm going back to watching South Park "The Return of the Fellowship of the Ring to the Two Towers" which is much better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Aerospace engineer, probably works for Airbus. Did a huge wind tunnel study supposedly testing the effects of transient flow on wheels in a wind tunnel. Results seem questionable at best, potentially falsified since it seems unlikely Airbus spent tens of thousands of dollars on an employee's pet project running a wind tunnel after hours. Most likely falsified a letter claiming to be from lawyers representing flo. Also is a massive asshole whenever anyone questions his work, which definitely doesn't help his case.

Gotcha, thanks. Sounds classy.

-------
http://www.y-rocket.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next