Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
Nope, no filler tracks on the CD. They are just on the digital download which is a good thing since they would otherwise just be a distraction IMO.

I'm still pretty high on this album. Each listen I enjoy it more than the last (though I did take a few days off of it). The musicianship, again my opinion, of this album is far superb to the past ones. Having said that the polish/mix put on the recording is pretty impressive and I have no doubt that is a big part of what I am hearing.

One thing that I do miss compared to past albums is the very linear/clear buildup and crescendo (classic prog rock shit) but what I'm starting to really appreciate about this one is that there seem to be several buildups/crescendo's within most of the tracks where the last is not as huge but is still slightly bigger than the previous ones within the same song...not sure if that makes sense or not.

Also catching a lot of really interesting double (maybe triple?) tracking of Maynard's voice throughout. Really noticeable in 7empest in the "we" parts (I think that one has to be triple tracked). No doubt there are a lot more neat tricks on this album still yet to be discovered.

Yeah I follow, the multiple crescendo's is something I've also enjoyed about this album. I've picked up on some layers of lyrics too. I think headphones could be cool for listening. I still have an obnoxious pair of giant Princess Leia type oness, but I don't have anything to plug them into! My hooked up home CD player at the moment is actually the blue ray player.

OH, one more point. Several posts back someone mentioned they wish Maynard would let it out in one song, believe it was Culling Voices. And I wondered... Push It was re-done to be more quiet, introspective seeming. I wonder if when performed live, Culling might go the other way?

For what it's worth I think there is something awesome about listening on a pair of Princess Leia headphones. My CD player is an Xbox 360 (thanks again WelshinPhilly) but I've been primarily listening in the car. Just waiting out the vinyl version so I can run it through my home system properly.

I think it was probably sphere who wanted Maynard to really bust it out (I think your right on it being Culling Voices) but I was hoping he would raise it up a anger level or two on 7empest..just seems like the most appropriate track for that IMO. With it being the last track (and most aggressive one) it would have been pretty badass..

I would not hold out much hope of Maynard busting out angry/aggressive Maynard voice again live though. That ship has probably sailed as he's mentioned in a bunch of articles that he's not that guy anymore plus he's likely done a decent amount of damage to his vocal chords over the years. Saw them live in 2017 (Gorge in WA) and he did not raise the octave much at all which was interesting considering they did tracks from Opiate. Pretty sure WelshinPhilly had the same experience at his show in 17). Still an amazing show though.
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
Tsunami wrote:
OH, one more point. Several posts back someone mentioned they wish Maynard would let it out in one song, believe it was Culling Voices. And I wondered... Pushit was re-done to be more quiet, introspective seeming. I wonder if when performed live, Culling might go the other way?

I would not hold out much hope of Maynard busting out angry/aggressive Maynard voice again live though. That ship has probably sailed as he's mentioned in a bunch of articles that he's not that guy anymore plus he's likely done a decent amount of damage to his vocal chords over the years. Saw them live in 2017 (Gorge in WA) and he did not raise the octave much at all which was interesting considering they did tracks from Opiate. Pretty sure WelshinPhilly had the same experience at his show in 17). Still an amazing show though.

Fair point.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Responding just because it’s the last comment

Saw them for the first time last night at Staples. I’ve seen a fair amount of bands but I think I can honestly say that was the best live performance I have ever seen. And amazingly tight for being just 5 or so shows in, especially with the complexity.
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Responding just because it’s the last comment

Saw them for the first time last night at Staples. I’ve seen a fair amount of bands but I think I can honestly say that was the best live performance I have ever seen. And amazingly tight for being just 5 or so shows in, especially with the complexity.

Been following the setlists each night (my tickets are for shows a few weeks out yet) and it's kind of surprising that they dropped "Descending" after teasing it so hard before FI was released. Looks like there's not a lot of variety in the setlists either, beyond switching up "Part of Me" and "Intolerance" each night.

Really looking forward to seeing them.. the shots/videos I've seen of the recent shows have looked awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got tickets for the November show in AC. Following the set list evolution closely...

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As more of a recent, somewhat casual fan (I guess by recent that means 13 years ago with 10K Days LOL), I had to familiarize myself with a few of the older songs. I think the only one I really knew was Schism. Having done my homework, and glad that I did, it was a perfect setlist for me. I'v seen bitching on fan forums that they don't need Stinkfist again, but worked for me. Descending would have fit in nicely though, but I have to say the brilliance of Pneuma live was overshadowed only by Invincible... that jam in the last five minutes had the whole place moving.

Given that the guys basically stand there and don't do much, it's also visually stunning but tightly choreographed visuals and lights to music, so not sure how much can be changed added or what work goes into that.

The only things I could have done without were Part of Me and Chocolate Chip Trip, which was odd for me, a a drummer I love the FI track and thin DC is the best rock drummer at the moment. Live it was different and didn't really show off any skills other than programming. His drumming otherwise was unbelievable
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I've got tickets for the November show in AC. Following the set list evolution closely...

Me too, what night?
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
sphere wrote:

Me too, what night?

There's currently only one date for AC - Friday 11/22.

See you both there!
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Saw them for the first time last night at Staples.

This wasn't you, right?

https://twitter.com/.../1186737250203127809
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha I’ve seen this. no but I was sorta kinda just behind this.

One thing that was kinda cool was a strict no phone / recording policy announced before the show. Far as I could tell it was enforced by personnel shining a bright flashlight at the offender and wiggling it back and forth, which tbh was annoying. However it was cool to look around and see (almost) none of the sea of phones you usually see.

Maynard does announce you can record the last song Stinkfist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Haha I’ve seen this. no but I was sorta kinda just behind this.

One thing that was kinda cool was a strict no phone / recording policy announced before the show. Far as I could tell it was enforced by personnel shining a bright flashlight at the offender and wiggling it back and forth, which tbh was annoying. However it was cool to look around and see (almost) none of the sea of phones you usually see.

Maynard does announce you can record the last song Stinkfist

Yeah I got told by security to put my phone away in 2017, before the show had even started. House lights were still up and people were still filtering into the arena, I was just snapping a quick pic of the stage setup when we got to our seats. Saw them doing the flashlight thing to a lot of people throughout the show.

At APC's show a few months later they were taking no prisoners - ejected, no discussion. At that one, every other seat had a sheet of paper taped to the back with a blurb about cameras/phones on it and they had it on screens everywhere around the venue before the show started. Didn't stop a guy a couple of rows in front of us filming at various spots throughout the show though, but somehow he didn't get spotted.

I actually like the "no phones" thing now, and find myself keeping the phone in my pocket and just enjoying the show at other artists' concerts since Tool and APC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Less than one week to go, I finally got the details for my VIP show in Philly.

1. Check in is at 2:30 pm. I knew sound check would be early but did not appreciate I'd have to take half a day off from work for this.
2. Requirement to sign a liability waiver. *interesting...*
3. They collect your phone on entry, give it back after sound check.
4. No food allowed, no ins-and-outs allowed. Clearly these people do not appreciate that I eat 9 times a day. Says they'll provide a snack but I am skeptical that it will be enough.

I also got another offer to buy VIP tickets with dates for future shows (CA, NV, AZ, TX, GA, TN, LA).

Would be swell if the t-shirt I ordered Sept 3rd had arrived, or the email inquiry I made about it last month had been responded to with more than the auto-generated note. Grrr...

Last edited by: Tsunami: Nov 21, 19 3:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I can't wait for next week's shows.

Did you see they announced a new version of the CD today? No screen in this version, but a download of the video the screen would have contained, and an expanded book of art.

As much as I love the band and the music, it's starting to feel a little money-grubby now (especially when you consider that people still haven't received their CD's from the second round of orders back in September, T-shirts being priced at $50 at the shows etc)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indeed, I did see he new CD announcement. Wonder if it's priced the same, since it doesn't have the multimedia component. It has been some time since I'd purchased a CD so I can't really say how over priced it was, but it sure felt unusual.

Speaking of money-grubby, posts on their website sure are distrust-inspiring. People indicating their VIP tickets were rescinded when it was realized the tickets were purchased using an email address different from the one used to sign up for the Tool Army membership.

Meanwhile, in the It's a Small World topic, I met a fellow Tool fan last week at the bar, as we were all killing time before Hamilton. I was discussing my unusually-busy November with my boyfriend when the Tool fan overheard me and said he was going to the AC show. We ended up having a really nice conversation with he and his wife. As an undergrad, I lost count of the number of people who seemed shocked I liked anything "normal" once they heard I liked heavy metal. And sure enough, I'm not the only one on the planet with varied tastes. (Never thought I was, but you get the gist.) Anyway, before that moment, I can't say I would have expected to use both the words Tool and Hamilton in one sentence (now two).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They recently announced two early January shows here in San Diego, so I'm a happy camper. Tickets go on sale this Friday morning.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Yeah I can't wait for next week's shows.

Did you see they announced a new version of the CD today? No screen in this version, but a download of the video the screen would have contained, and an expanded book of art.

As much as I love the band and the music, it's starting to feel a little money-grubby now (especially when you consider that people still haven't received their CD's from the second round of orders back in September, T-shirts being priced at $50 at the shows etc)

Saw them on Monday in Toronto. I can't even describe how awesome it was. Although, I hadn't seen a concert in over 30 years but they were tight. And the list of songs the playlist was great.
I am looking to go to Vegas in January to see them again with the wife I hope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your wife wants to see them, or is just along for the experience?

Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Your wife wants to see them, or is just along for the experience?

I'm trying to convince her. I may have to go see Celine as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How have I never seen this?

MJK is straight boss. 4:00 and 12:00 for the impatient...

Last edited by: sphere: Nov 14, 19 7:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:

These are kind of related, looks like:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Tsunami wrote:

These are kind of related, looks like:

"Throughout the universe"? Damn. There goes my clean internet record on Mars. <shrug?>

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C.A.D. (Children of Something Something) - Maynards first band.

Going to leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAJn5OyqIas

I honestly kinda like some of this but scrolling through the comments is the real payoff.

Enjoy!

EDIT to add: Right around the 16 minute mark you get the first version of "Sober". Also the last 2 minutes is the public access reporter interviewing MJK.
Last edited by: Skipjack: Nov 18, 19 14:07
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man, that was delicious.

I wonder if Maynard ever wore that getup again with Tool, to see if anyone caught on. I'd be so disappointed if not.

And the comments...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
C.A.D. (Children of Something Something) - Maynards first band.

Going to leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAJn5OyqIas

I honestly kinda like some of this but scrolling through the comments is the real payoff.

Enjoy!

EDIT to add: Right around the 16 minute mark you get the first version of "Sober". Also the last 2 minutes is the public access reporter interviewing MJK.

That was EPIC! - Thank you for sharing!.... kinda makes me wonder how they didn't appear on Wayne's World back then.....

#Tool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not only did we (Philly) just get Descending, but Swamp Song too!
Quote Reply

Prev Next