Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Roval CLX 64 disc wheels
Quote | Reply
How do they perform, comparing to ENVE 4.5 or the Zipp 404? Would they be too deep for draft-legal and occasional crit races? Thinking about getting a pair to put on the Venge.
Quote Reply
Re: Roval CLX 64 disc wheels [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got them on my venge and they work perfect in draft-legal races and road races. I had no problems even in very windy conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although I have no experience with them I was recently comparing the Enve 5.6, Zipp 404 and the CLX64. I read good things about the CLX64 but if you are comparing, the Enve 5.6 is better than the CLX in wind so I would guess that the Enve 4.5 would be a lot better in wind compared to the CLX64. I ended up getting the Enve 7.8s and from what I read everywhere people said you could ride use them as a daily rider in all conditions even at that depth. That said, they are all awesome wheels and assuming you aren't really light they should all perform well for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been racing on the rim brake CLX64 for a couple years and love them. They are more stable in crosswinds than my older Hed Jet 9's were (of course, less deep as well, but still as fast or faster). I'm likely to get a pair of the disc CLX64's on the new bike I'm specing out right now after my old one was totaled in Nice...

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Roval CLX 64 disc wheels [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are you doing post crash?

Question: I am looking at getting bike that will come with the Roval 64; then I was doing some you tube searching and saw in 2017 bike radar testing that showed it did pretty bad as a standalone wheel in the tunnel....

https://www.youtube.com/...BH3wXzhrI&t=712s

Wondering if you know has wheel been revamped since then or have you seen any info to make me feel better about riding this wheel in a race.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Roval CLX 64 disc wheels [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't watched the video, but I wouldn't remotely trust BikeRadar to do something as intricate as aero-testing rigorously enough to be reliable.
Quote Reply
Re: Roval CLX 64 disc wheels [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
I haven't watched the video, but I wouldn't remotely trust BikeRadar to do something as intricate as aero-testing rigorously enough to be reliable.

I agree but man its stuck in my head, its saves good bit of money like 2k to run the Roval 64 over buying say a Zipp 858 or Enve.

Some reviews did say this wheel is twitchy in the wind, anyone have some real world experience to share?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...t-3-after-party.html

Tom A’s wheel alone testing showed that it outperformed a couple wheels (Hed 3 and Hed Jet 6+) that consistently have good showing in wind tunnel testing. One thing to think about is the interaction of the wheel and the frame. I never paid much too much attention to the white papers when it was released, but did Specialized design the Shiv Disc to work well with their wheels (ie fork width, downtube and seat tube location, yada, yada)?

Hit up Gerlach, he’s ridden the rim brake version of this and a number of other wheels (zipp, Enve, Hed) so he probably has a good unbiased view of handling

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
awenborn wrote:

I agree but man its stuck in my head, its saves good bit of money like 2k to run the Roval 64 over buying say a Zipp 858 or Enve.

Some reviews did say this wheel is twitchy in the wind, anyone have some real world experience to share?

I would not worry at all about this test. These are rider-on tests. This is good in that it gives a more realistic comparison between wheels but you need a rider who is VERY good at keeping EXACTLY the same position between tests. Otherwise the variability in drag of the rider's position dominates the results, not the difference in wheels. Secondly, the differences between the wheels, especially at 5 degrees, is much larger than I would expect since these are all aerodynamically designed products. 14 watts at 5 degrees between an enve and a roval? Do you think the Specialized engineers are that inferior? This leads me to believe that the rider was in fact not holding a steady position. Third they used a tire that measured over 29 mm on the roval rim. This is terrible for aero. The rim is very wide at 27.5mm but it is also very wide internally at 21 mm which means tires mounted on this rim end up wider than on others. You want the rim width to be 105% of the mounted tire width, as shown by testing at Zipp done by JoshatSilca. A 23mm gp5000 is perfect for this rim.

Even though specialized's data is of course possibly biased since it's their rim, I would trust it more than this test.

As for their performance "testing" they took the fact that they had brake rub as an indication that the wheel was super flexy but in the sentence just before, he said that they were almost unable to get their brakes to clear the brake track at all... so... maybe the problem is lack of brake track clearance and not flexibility?

I've been riding the roval clx 64 brake disc wheels on my new bike (maybe only 4 rides on them) and so far I think they are great.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
awenborn wrote:

Hi Toothengineer, of course my opinion will be considered bias, but that test raised a lot more questions than answers in my opinion. The absolute fastest wheel can be left up for debate, but I assure you that world class world tour athletes will not be giving up THAT much speed no matter how the sponsorship goes. In fact, often times the world tour athletes demands from this regard drive us to improve the product more than maybe the market would require.

I will stand behind the product all day as being at the top end with the data to prove it. Of course, tire selection is also something critical to wheel performance so keep that in mind. The CLX64 is/was faster than many higher depth rims on the market in most conditions. (65mm is the max depth for a UCI mass-start wheel; not critical to triathlon but why product offerings tend to group here)
Quote Reply
Re: Roval CLX 64 disc wheels [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All valid points, 14w did seem a little absurd to me. Hey listen I am all in on Specialized my first TT was first gen shiv and I just came back to the purchase of a new Shiv. I have only ever raced (and mostly ridden) Enve and Zipp wheels, but I also figured the when Specialized Designed the 321 Disc it would have been designed maybe around the shiv and similar with the Roval 64?

I have to decided if to keep the Roval 64 or sell them off and get a Zipp 858 and I if buy a Roval 321 disc or a Zipp or Enve disc. (first world problems yes yes).

Quote Reply
Re: Roval CLX 64 disc wheels [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer gave me some clarification of this wheels set. I will roll with it on a new shiv adding a 321 Disc on the rear. Maybe back to some turbo cottons as well, been a long time since I road those.

Quote Reply
Re: Roval CLX 64 disc wheels [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it sounds like the wheels where not designed necessarily around the bike but these wheels and interaction with the shiv frame where definitely taken into consideration. While I am not driven by cost in my decisions, it saves me couple grand to stick with these wheels and add a disc in rather then going with a Zipp/Enve along with either being faster or a wash in the end. Bring on the Roval 64.

Quote Reply