Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HRM tri in the pool
Quote | Reply
Anyone say F’it and use the HRM Tri in the pool anyway? What’s long term use look like? What about using the HRM Swim once in a while during a brick or a race?

Looking for HR in the pool for training and recovery metrics built into the device. But also trying not to have 100 HR monitors sitting around my house.

Currently use Wahoo Tickr about a year old.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: HRM tri in the pool [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin 945 and I think 245 now have optical heart rate while swimming - no need for a strap.

No idea about the accuracy - just know it exists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding is the HRM Tri includes the running metrics, which the HRM Swim lacks, so if tracking those things is important to you, you'll have to live without them if you run with the HRM swim. The Tri is also a bit more comfortable outside the water...the swim is less flexible, and doesn't "breathe" like the Tri does (porous fabric vs non-porous).

Also, the Tri is designed for "regular" water, not chlorinated water. Supposedly, chlorine will do bad things to the Tri if it's exposed to it regularly. I teach scuba diving, and I know the wetsuits I use in the pool, made of a fairly similar material, get stiff and start to break down when used in the pool long enough.

I don't think either would be bad in a pinch, but I personally wouldn't make a habit out of using either in the "wrong" medium.
Quote Reply
Re: HRM tri in the pool [esuuv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is now supported on the Fenix 6X as well. I find it reading accurately in terms of correlating with intervals, but still think that it reads high. I've tried the HRM Swim before, but no matter how tight I get it, it still comes loose during flip turns. Very annoying if you are in a longer interval and it starts to slide by your waist. Also, I would not recommend using the HRM-Tri in the pool, first it doesn't have the same grippy backing like the HRM-Swim, but also I'd think that it would eventually fail in general. I loved that strap, but it went bad on me after about a year. Note that I have gone thru many straps, so not to incriminate this one, suppose my sweat is just super salty and corrosive.
Quote Reply
Re: HRM tri in the pool [dpd3672] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dpd3672 wrote:
My understanding is the HRM Tri includes the running metrics, which the HRM Swim lacks, so if tracking those things is important to you, you'll have to live without them if you run with the HRM swim. The Tri is also a bit more comfortable outside the water...the swim is less flexible, and doesn't "breathe" like the Tri does (porous fabric vs non-porous).

Also, the Tri is designed for "regular" water, not chlorinated water. Supposedly, chlorine will do bad things to the Tri if it's exposed to it regularly. I teach scuba diving, and I know the wetsuits I use in the pool, made of a fairly similar material, get stiff and start to break down when used in the pool long enough.

I don't think either would be bad in a pinch, but I personally wouldn't make a habit out of using either in the "wrong" medium.

As far as using it occasionally goes it would generally be only in bricks and races as I’ve been happy with my Tickr. My question is if I used the swim in a race, especially in aquabike am I going to be sitting up and adjusting, finishing with a shite split and saying “never again” or will I just be working so hard I don’t notice?

As far as oHR I have a 935 so unless it trickles down that won’t help.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess the only way you'll know is if you try it. Some people can fall asleep sitting in a wooden chair, some people can't sleep if the neighbor is watching TV, it has to do with your own personal thresholds, I suppose.
Quote Reply
Re: HRM tri in the pool [dpd3672] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dpd3672 wrote:
I guess the only way you'll know is if you try it. Some people can fall asleep sitting in a wooden chair, some people can't sleep if the neighbor is watching TV, it has to do with your own personal thresholds, I suppose.

This is true. After reading up a bit more and still not really finding a definitive answer I think I’m leaning toward an HRM swim because I have less to lose. Worst case scenario HRM-Swim is I lose brick and race data which I already don’t have. Worst case scenario HRM-Tri is I destroy an expensive piece of equipment in a month. Best case scenario swim is it works for those occasional situations perfectly. Best case scenario HRM-Tri is slightly annoying but bang on in a race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the risk as coming off as a "swimmer snob" if you are a real swimmer that does flip turns that don't look like a semi-controlled drowning, the HRM Tri will end up around your waist after a few lengths. It can't take the push off the wall and body/arm stretch that goes with it.

The HRM Swim strap is made out of entirely different material, like a silicone substance, and is wider. It is designed to take the extra force.

I have used both and for what I need they work equally well in an open water swim, run, or bike, although the HRM Swim is uncomfortable out of the water. The HRM swim is the only Garmin strap that will work consistently in the pool.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recently replaced my hrm tri, and noticed the swim was on sale from amazon when bought together ($100 for both)

The tri won't stay on in a pool unless you've got a trisuit or wetsuit keeping it there, and the swim has very little elastic so has to be worn fairly tight. Just below chafing, and you might get it too tight and chafe, or too loose and it falls off mid set.

For a brick.. use a hrm tri under a tri top. Mine only last about 18 months no matter how good i treat it, but that is daily use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Looking for HR in the pool for training and recovery metrics built into the device. But also trying not to have 100 HR monitors sitting around my house.
Jloewe wrote:
My 2¢: Sell your 935 and buy a 945.

It would be a total waste of money to buy yet another HRM that you do not need and set you back around $75 (if you find a deal).

Instead, don't buy another HRM. Sell the 935 and use those proceeds plus your HRM cost avoidance savings to buy a 945. The incremental spend would not be huge, and the 945 would solve your swim HR wants plus give you a few nice glitzy benefits over the 935.
Quote Reply
Re: HRM tri in the pool [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Jloewe wrote:
Jloewe wrote:
My 2¢: Sell your 935 and buy a 945.

It would be a total waste of money to buy yet another HRM that you do not need and set you back around $75 (if you find a deal).

Instead, don't buy another HRM. Sell the 935 and use those proceeds plus your HRM cost avoidance savings to buy a 945. The incremental spend would not be huge, and the 945 would solve your swim HR wants plus give you a few nice glitzy benefits over the 935.

You find the optical heart rate monitor to be accurate while swimming with the 945?
Quote Reply
Re: HRM tri in the pool [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
You find the optical heart rate monitor to be accurate while swimming with the 945?
I do not have a perfect reference to compare, but it seems very accurate given what I can observe. I used to take manual HR readings between intervals, and my 945 readings are totally consistent with my wall clock HR measures. Also, the numbers are very consistent with RPE when doing different types of workouts. When I am using paddles my pool HR is a little lower and consistent with running and cycling where I am pushing force more than cadence. When I am doing high turnover, the 945 numbers are very consistent with similar running and cycling workouts. (I never get my pool HR up as high as running or cycling, but the mid-level stuff seems spot on.)

My assessment: The 945 may not be perfect, but it is definitely directionally correct and seems perfect to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read this article on Garmin HRM Tri, you will find how to use it in swimming pool

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought my 935 with the bundle that included the HRM Tri and HRM swim. I've tried the HRM swim several times in the pool (Endless pool, so no flip turns). It has very little elastic to it, so it takes a lot of fiddling to adjust it to where it's not sliding around . Even then, after a few thousand meters it shifted enough that it would come unbuckled on me. I've switched to using the HRM Tri in the pool now. I usually swim with a rash guard on for sun protection anyway, so it holds the HRM Tri in place, no problem. The chlorine may eventually kill it, but there's no sign of that yet after a few months of use in the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:

As the 945/Fenix 6 use a different OHR sensor to the 935, it is unlikely to trickle down.
Quote Reply