Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fastest female overall Kona age grouper interview
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest female overall Kona age grouper interview [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The women on the Zwift Academy Tri squad lit up the AG race in Kona. Hard to argue against their results.

Ruth - OA Amateur and AG win 30-34
Natia - AG win 25-29
Maggie - 2nd in AG 35-39
Yvonne - 3rd in AG 50-54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe the next Lucy Charles (win the Ag race and then be in contention to win overall a few years later).

Impressive race.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest female overall Kona age grouper interview [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They definitely showed up their male counterparts

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And she had a bad wreck 12 weeks out? She balled out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She passed me late on the bike leg around the airport like I was standing still. All I could think at the time was OMG, those legs are like cannons...!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Impressive!

But working 55-60h/week (if true, i feel like people often say that and i happens every other month), and also being so competitive, is kind of crazy to me! Not time for much more, but that is what you have to sacrifice to be at the top i guess.

What do people think about her chances as a pro? Just to try it out once in a lifetime or what is actually needed to make that step? She would have been 16/35 in the pro ranks (if you just transfer the time).
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest female overall Kona age grouper interview [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Impressive!

But working 55-60h/week (if true, i feel like people often say that and i happens every other month),

That sort of job in that organization, I'm surprised its not higher....
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest female overall Kona age grouper interview [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You won't find me saying the men were anything but stellar as a whole:

Phillip Herber - 8:55:15 - 4th in 30-34 AG
Levi Hauwert - 8:57:06- 6th in 30-34 AG
Paul Lunn - 9:33:48 - 11th in 45-49 AG

Program director Craig Taylor went an impressive 9:19:38 - 29th in 30-34 AG.

Maybe the only one I thought would place higher, but was a wildcard as short course has been his focus, was Justin Lippert. 29th out of 41 in the 18-24 AG.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest female overall Kona age grouper interview [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She looks very fast on the bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of recovery time doing 60 hours of presentations and socializing..
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest female overall Kona age grouper interview [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VALHALLA wrote:
The women on the Zwift Academy Tri squad lit up the AG race in Kona. Hard to argue against their results.

Natia - AG win 25-29
Maggie - 2nd in AG 35-39
Yvonne - 3rd in AG 50-54

They did very well, but weren't they all stellar triathletes with great results *before* they were selected to join that team?
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest female overall Kona age grouper interview [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kula wrote:
VALHALLA wrote:

Natia - AG win 25-29
Maggie - 2nd in AG 35-39
Yvonne - 3rd in AG 50-54

They did very well, but weren't they all stellar triathletes with great results *before* they were selected to join that team?

They are! I mean most of them have KQ before that is the caliber they are going for, KQ with a chance of podium. it is NOT about the person who barely got a slot and is doing a 12h Kona race. Remember it is all about marketing for zwift
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do they get to keep the bikes?? Or just loaners for the season?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Impressive!

But working 55-60h/week (if true, i feel like people often say that and i happens every other month), and also being so competitive, is kind of crazy to me! Not time for much more, but that is what you have to sacrifice to be at the top i guess.

What do people think about her chances as a pro? Just to try it out once in a lifetime or what is actually needed to make that step? She would have been 16/35 in the pro ranks (if you just transfer the time).

I honestly think it would be a lot more impressive to work a 40 hour week and have a family and still put up these kind of times. Having kids and a family is great and all, but it definitely makes training a little harder.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Impressive!

As to the 55-60. I’d like to know her daily commute and what she outsources at home.

60 is working 7-7 m-f with no lunch or breaks.

Add a commute and it doesn’t hold water to be able to train 20 hours per week.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest female overall Kona age grouper interview [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
lassekk wrote:
Impressive!

I honestly think it would be a lot more impressive to work a 40 hour week and have a family and still put up these kind of times. Having kids and a family is great and all, but it definitely makes training a little harder.

Maybe they can have a Zwift Academy Mum and Dad with a couple of Kids next season and see how the results go and how many people make kona and also don't get divorced along the way ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, does she sleep under her desk and is the pool in the same building? Or does she work on weekends?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Kula wrote:
VALHALLA wrote:

Natia - AG win 25-29
Maggie - 2nd in AG 35-39
Yvonne - 3rd in AG 50-54

They are! I mean most of them have KQ before that is the caliber they are going for, KQ with a chance of podium. it is NOT about the person who barely got a slot and is doing a 12h Kona race. Remember it is all about marketing for zwift

Better marketing would be turning a MOP age grouper into a KQer. In my opinion.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest female overall Kona age grouper interview [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SAvan wrote:
She passed me late on the bike leg around the airport like I was standing still. All I could think at the time was OMG, those legs are like cannons...!

Holy crap, you are not kidding...

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest female overall Kona age grouper interview [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Better marketing would be turning a MOP age grouper into a KQer. In my opinion.

+1

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest female overall Kona age grouper interview [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, TBH that looks like a lot of bulk muscle to carry around on the run. May help her be an uber biker (she put +15min into the next best female AG on the bike) but to compete as a pro she'll need to be able to run fast.

Wish her all the best and good on her for giving pro a go.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest female overall Kona age grouper interview [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
working single: 60h work 8 am - 8 pm 5 days a week. Leaves 6-7.30 a.m and 8-9.30 p.m. for training = max 15h if you count in lunch hours even more+ weekend at your full disposal: 5h ride, 2h run = another 7 hours

if you can work that schedule and maintain mental sanity, very impressive - none the less - I could not do it.

But I am totally with you that training these hours and having a family is a totally different level - like on a different planet level.

natethomas wrote:
lassekk wrote:
Impressive!

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest female overall Kona age grouper interview [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
lassekk wrote:
Impressive!

As to the 55-60. I’d like to know her daily commute and what she outsources at home.

60 is working 7-7 m-f with no lunch or breaks.

Add a commute and it doesn’t hold water to be able to train 20 hours per week.

1. People tend to overestimate how hard they work, especially the ones who need to tell you their hours.
2. Add in the during commute "taking calls", after-hours "responding to emails", and "reading documents" and it's not hard to turn a 9-5 into "55-60 hours".
3. She's an executive assistant.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest female overall Kona age grouper interview [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kula wrote:
VALHALLA wrote:

Natia - AG win 25-29
Maggie - 2nd in AG 35-39
Yvonne - 3rd in AG 50-54

Sounds like they all has a lot of help from Zwift. Training camps, wind tunnel time, given the best equipment, bike fits, coaching etc. Not saying they do not deserve their results, kudos to them all they deserve their results. Just pointing out they would have gone faster with all that assistance than somebody without.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply

Prev Next