Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Oct. 6 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 6 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I had an okay week. Rough mental-health wise but have had good days since Friday so I feel much better.

M: 6.9 mi run + 725 yd swim
T: 9.5 mi run
W: 6.3 mi run + 475 yd swim
T: 3.9 mi run + 525 yd swim + 9.5 mi bike
F: 7.6 mi run + 500 yd swim
S: 9.3 mi run + 1025 yd swim
S: 47.1 mi bike

Another win last week was hosting a successful baby shower :-)

goal this week is to do stuff that keeps me healthy and that makes me faster.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik. Hope last week's hugs for everyone through the week.

My goals last week didn't really matter:

Quote:
More of the same this week but fewer miles because let's not get crazy.

I achieved fewer miles by not swimming at all and only riding my bike easy one day. Most of my time late last week was spent our too late celebrating because my exciting news is that I got a new job! And the job is all the cool data, tech, and analytics parts of current role but in an industry I love (and you love). I'm going to move from SoCal to the PNW in December. It's a huge change but a really exciting chapter for me. PM for details.

This week, I'm traveling for work (because even though I resigned I'm still on a plane 🤦🏻‍♀️) so my "by feel" training will continue. I'm going to do an open road race on Saturday to get a little benchmark on my run fitness before I think about the next few months and put triathlon.on the backburner to uproot my life here.

Have a great week and happy training 🙂

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr TC - I'm glad things are looking up. And congrats on hosting a successful baby shower!
SoCal - exciting news. Just think of all the new roads and trails and lakes to explore!

My week was pretty solid; I hit all my goals. Swimming is still a bit of a struggle and I feel like I'm barely moving any water. I've been watching the recent swimming threads on the main forum with interest. TI got me to the stage where I am now but I'm thinking I need a different approach to make me faster. Not even sure how to start searching for a swim coach (I'm too far out of the big centres where I can go to masters swimming).

This week is Fire Prevention Week so I have my game face on. I just need to get through all the events and then I can introvert hard at the weekend. The plan is:
M: Swim (done) + hard bike
T: Easy bike + easy run + strength
W: Swim + easy run
Th: easy bike + strength
F: swim + easy bike
S: travel to the mountains
S: "long" run

Don't forget to test your smoke alarms and practice your escape plans ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, ladies!

Dr TC - I'm sorry you didn't have a great week, but I'm pleased you're feeling better and that your shower came off without a hitch!

SoCal - congratulations! New jobs are exciting, especially if they come with life-changing moves too.

Scheherezade - yay for hitting all your goals! Hold on tight for Fire Prevention Week, and I hope you really enjoy your weekend introverting.

I had a bad mental health week. Honestly, my biggest victory was that I managed to get out of bed, get dressed, and make it to the office every single day. I bailed out of two rehearsals (which is usually my off-the-bike happy place), and spent near four hours walking around Walmart in some kind of haze. Mostly I'm functional but emotionally wobbly, so I'm trying to focus on busy work and not think too much. My husband was incredibly unsupportive when I told him I was feeling shitty, so I've been trying to reach out to my network of girlfriends more.

That said, I did run my hideously undertrained half on Sunday. I knew it was not going to be a PR kind of a day because I hadn't been training and I hadn't been doing my PT. Which.... my knees reminded me about at about the 7-mile mark. It has essentially confirmed that I am done running for this season, and I need to really buckle down and do my PT exercises over the winter if I want to succeed at the Pineland 50K next year.

Goal for this week is to try and ease back into real life again instead of spending the week hiding from myself. I have a board meeting on Friday which I am hoping will not be too contentious. I also had a bit of a meltdown when I realised that I'm the heaviest I've been since November of 2017, so maybe I'll be brave enough to have another go at finding a nutritionist who can deal with my diabetes, gastroparesis, no gallbladder, and multiple-prescription-addled, "just doesn't work well" digestive system.

Wishing you all a wonderful week!
Last edited by: UK2ME: Oct 7, 19 12:48
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 6 Edition [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
board meeting... are you on a school board?
take care.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am on the board for the Maine POPS Concert Band. (If you're interested in stalking, our Facebook is better than our website ;o) ) I have played with the band for about 14 years - I was the Venue Coordinator for several years, and I am just going into my third year as President.

And thank you :o)
Last edited by: UK2ME: Oct 7, 19 13:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh, sorry your immediate support system was not helpful. If you ever need random internet stranger support, just drop me a line :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gosh, I stop by here very infrequently. Today I did. And I see that last week was rough for several womens. Me too. Shoot! I’m sorry things have been rough for us.

I actually have not run since Wednesday. Maybe I’ll try tomorrow. Sometimes running does not seem like the right thing to do. Knee pain. Overexposure. Dehydration. Other times, it is undoubtedly good.

I went to my counselor today, and I kind of got the feeling that she’s tired of my complaining. That’s hilarious to me. Maybe she was just tired. She’s a super active listener, with LOTS of eye contact, uh-huh’s and nodding. She should probably focus on more efficient listening for greater endurance. Imagine that! Ha ha! She could sit there: eyes shut, no movement, quiet, no helpful suggestions and listen all day. I could gently tap her when I need her to say something.

That’s funny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Monday, Ladies

I hope everyone has a better week than last week, and if it's not in the cards, to hang on tight and reach out when you can.

My focus last week was to actually finish a damn race.

Well.

I know you're all tired of me whinging about nothing going right all year. So I'll spare you that because I FREAKING CRUSHED MY HALF AND GOT A SHINY NEW OFFICIAL PR WHAAAAAT?!?!?!?!

yer damn right I did

Wineglass was a great experience. The course is p2p, very gradual net downhill with gorgeous scenery and enough bumps to keep your legs interested. I arrived at the start with my girlfriends and just, well, started moving. I had no intention of accepting any race day magic, no desire to give chase, nothing. My brain and heart were still singed from the rest of the season. I just wanted to run and enjoy the weekend. My legs apparently had other plans. I blinked and I was at the finish line. I stopped my garmin and audibly WTFed and two of my friends that finished a couple of minutes in front of me just mauled me with hugs and cheers. I rode so high for a while. I've missed this feeling immensely.

Goal for the week: HELLO OFFSEASON

M- rest
Tu- 3mi run and strength
W- 60min ride
Th- 5mi run, strength, and vertigo PT
F- 3000yd swim
Sa- Rest? What? Also going to see Whose Line Live, and I'm excited AF to have a date night with the hubs
Su- Strength

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 6 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, Scheherezade. I do appreciate it.

Dr. C - I was so excited to see your shiny new PR on Instagram! That is a fabulous medal picture. So glad that training all showed up all at once :o)

Calamity - maybe you should make up inanities to see if she's really listening or just doing the eye contact and nods. "And this week, I even had to wash my own unicorn!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UK2ME, I just hope my counselor has her own forum somewhere in this big, beautiful internet where she can tell her tale of woe about a client who constantly complains about washing her unicorn. : )
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 6 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yessss! Nice work đź‘Š

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, friends!

Dr. T, sorry to hear you had a rough week but glad to see you had some good days and a successful baby shower. Yay!
SoCal, congrats on the new gig! Hopefully you will get to take some time off to move, get settled, and relax a bit.
Scheherazade, great to hear you are hitting your goals. Hopefully you can crack the swimming mystery soon. I promise I will check our smoke detectors this week. =)
UK2ME, sorry to hear about your difficult week. It sounds like you are dealing with a lot, so please be gentle with yourself. Hopefully your goal next year will help keep you motivated to do your PT and stay healthy.
Calamity, don't we pay our counselors to listen to our complaining??? Sheesh, hopefully it was just a one-off.
Dr_C, so happy for you and your PR! I hope you are still basking in your victory. I am also jealous of you going to see Whose Line, I have been watching since the Clive Anderson days. =)

Last week wasn't great for training but I did have other good adventures. I ran three times and they were all good: One hot and humid run on Tuesday, one run cool enough that I needed long sleeves and earwarmers on Friday (go home, Michigan weather, you're drunk), and one nice long run in warm and sunshine on Sunday. I managed quarter-mile repeats all beginning with a 7:xx pace on Friday and Sunday's long run felt fine. My hip was a little out of whack yesterday but it's feeling fine today. I rode the trainer twice and did a weights video but didn't have time to do much else because...

My sister was in town for a few days! I hadn't seen her in over a year. We ate, we hung out with our parents, we went out to breakfast, we played cards, we went out to breakfast again. It was nice. The husband and I also went to a college football game Saturday which was also nice but took the whooooooole day. I am looking forward to having no real plans for the rest of the week and weekend and watching Kona on Saturday, of course!

I hope you all are having a wonderful week or at the very least better than last week!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

Sorry I'm a day late again! I had a really, really terrible weekend. I was in Maryland for a friend's wedding. The event was on the old family farm, and they wanted to hold the ceremony across a creek, for which there was a footbridge. Apparently, there were supposed to be bridge guards keeping people from overloading the bridge, but there was a breakdown in communication. The bridge collapsed with about 15 people on it. They fell about 10 feet into the creek below. Some wound up under the pieces of the bridge. It was a difficult scene, made worse by the fact that it was supposed to be a wedding. No one died, thank God, but 5 people had to be transported to the hospital in ambulances. 1 went to the Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore. She sustained a bad head injury. Word is it was a bad concussion, but no permanent brain damage.

I am shocked, traumatized, and exhausted from doing what I could to help my friend and their family get through this. If you want to stalk me, you can easily find news articles about the event................

And it's my first week with my new coach. It's helpful to have someone telling me I need to do stuff, but what a week for all this to start. So far, I got my stuff done yesterday, but my swim this morning fell apart. A lot of it is new for me, which I appreciate. LIke, my coach wants me to do plank challenges like 4 times this week, and do a lot of standing on the trainer.

I read through everyone's report for the week. I don't really have energy to respond, except to say that it looks as though most people are doing well. UK2ME, I'll be thinking of you. Cupcake, you rocked that stuff.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 6 Edition [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy cow! That’s really horrible! I can imagine it will be hard to do stuff this week after that trauma. Take care of yourself, sweetie. Hugs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, that is just dreadful. I am so sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh my goodness, how scary! I'm glad no one was hurt worse but still, a head injury is no joke. Hoping for smooth recoveries all around.

And what a week to start with a new coach and plan. Sheesh.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh my goodness, how terrifying. I'm so sorry this happened to you and your wedding cohort. Please reach out to someone to talk through this, this is something that shouldn't be any sort of mental conditioning.

Along the same line, a good coach will give you grace when grace is necessary. This absolutely counts. Don't feel embarrassed to reach out to them about this, being as vague as you want to be. They will understand.

::big hugs:: <3 <3 <3

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Oct. 6 Edition [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey folks,

Just want to thank you for your concern. I'm still recovering from the weekend, physically and mentally. Today, I have my second bad migraine of the week, so that's an extra challenge. I usually only get migraines on days off, but I think my body thinks it's a day off since I'm recovering from the weekend. Having my new coach is helpful. I got through my workouts yesterday, and that made me feel physically better and it took my mind off things. I'm still really concerned for my friends who got married, their family, and the people who were badly hurt.

Thanks for all your support. I'm glad we're internet friends.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GiantNewb, you are a giant sweetie. Yes, it makes it makes perfect sense that you’re concerned for your people. Holy buckets!

Trauma has such a ripple effect; the circle of people affected is surprisingly large. You have your people primarily involved, witnesses, first responders, family members, the larger community.

To counteract the mental/emotional damage you feel, I think you might want to really look for and appreciate things that are positive: your significant friends and family, pets, exercise, internet buddies, good music, art, favorite foods?

You may also just feel bad from time to time. That seems normal. Let us know how you’re doing so we can try to take care of you.

Hugs.
Quote Reply