Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ideas to train for Winter Race for Northern Climates
Quote | Reply
I live in Washington State and am signed up for Ironman Arizona. In Washington State (and am sure for many of the Northern states), the average temperatures start to drop by mid September. Does anyone have ideas for how to endure some of the longer bike rides to prepare for the late November race? Some ideas I have: 1) Bundle up and do the ride in the cold 2) Do a long trainer ride on Zwift 3) Go somewhere warm for a week or so (not realistic for most).

Any other ideas?

James S Proctor
Quote Reply
Re: Ideas to train for Winter Race for Northern Climates [Tri4sub11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Inside on the trainer/treadmill and sauna protocol sessions leading into the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Ideas to train for Winter Race for Northern Climates [Tri4sub11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tapering is good this time of year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in the same boat. Really wishing I would have piled on the mileage in August and September so then October I could have just focused on less volume and more intensity (which is doable indoors)
Quote Reply
Re: Ideas to train for Winter Race for Northern Climates [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My taper will not start until November. Lots of key rides planned this month. Not so bad right now (mid to high 50s). Those last key 100+ mile rides will be more challenging and weather dependent (brutal inside trainer rides with heat cranked up or outside with lots of layers). Not sure how sauna protocols work but will have to research.

James S Proctor
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could get a mountain bike or fat bike and do your long rides on those outside. You will go slower so less cold and just bundle up.
Quote Reply