Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey all, looking for some assistance with front brake setup. Just about done building my new frameset, but having issue with front brake caliper.

So when I setup the triangle pully thing that attaches to the cable, and I have the caliper arms kind of in their default all the way out position, things work OK. But if I then use the small outside allen screws to try to adjust the arms in towards the rim to get them close enough for good braking, the caliper rollers seem to lay on the triangle uneven, and the cable pulls it up at an angle, causing only one arm to move properly.

Even if I try to adjust both caliper arms the same amount, the right one (looking at it from the front) doesn't get moved properly from the triangle movement.

Clear as mud??? Anyone advice? I could try to post a video of it if that would help...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Hey all, looking for some assistance with front brake setup. Just about done building my new frameset, but having issue with front brake caliper.

So when I setup the triangle pully thing that attaches to the cable, and I have the caliper arms kind of in their default all the way out position, things work OK. But if I then use the small outside allen screws to try to adjust the arms in towards the rim to get them close enough for good braking, the caliper rollers seem to lay on the triangle uneven, and the cable pulls it up at an angle, causing only one arm to move properly.

Even if I try to adjust both caliper arms the same amount, the right one (looking at it from the front) doesn't get moved properly from the triangle movement.

Clear as mud??? Anyone advice? I could try to post a video of it if that would help...

Had this issue for a while and it drove me crazy. Did a bit of analysis and realized its due to how the cable enters the brake area at an angle. If your issue was the same as mine (am a mechanical engineer, kinda embarrassed to say it took me this long to figure it out), the remedy is to pre-bend the cable coming into the calipers slightly to stop the cable from trying to spring itself to one side. Basically, the metal cable is acting like a spring and the result is that it tends to apply a force onto one of the calipers when its in the default position. Just bend the cable a bit to allow it to sit neutrally when you let the brakes go. This should prevent the calipers from getting stuck. I think this is more apparent for the low stems, as the angle of the brake cables that are exiting the cockpit are at a more extreme angle.

I am having a bit of similar issues with the rear brake caliper. I think the same remedy might fix that as well. It's just the inherent issue with caliper brakes. But once you use some pliers to bend the brake cable a bit it should reset fully.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Aid.dre.an] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What happens is that you tighten the wedge on the cable causing the cable to twist and the the wedge does not want to stay straight.

Put the wedge through the cable and let the cable go to its natural position. Tighten it down slowly. I will use the brake arms. Hold them as a lever so the wedge does not twist.

Hope this helps

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys, will try both, starting with re-tightening the wedge to see if I have twisted the cable.

A couple other things I am running into....

1. The speed fin is not centered over the tire. Wheel is in straight. Doesn't appear to be any side to side adjustment/play available in the 3 screws that hold it on. Just a defect out of the mold?

2. The aero extension.... The tilt slider in the middle, I can't move it all the way back in the channel to put the bars to their furthest position out. When I try to, the top of the little set screw gets in the way. Right now I have everything positioned so that the set screw is at the back. Is that wrong?? I seem to remember somewhere in the past I think there was a discussion about there being a right and wrong position of this??

Also, was there ever any resolution to the issue people were having with those cradle bolts shearing off???

Thanks!!!
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Oct 5, 19 15:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can anyone help with identifying the date of manufacture of my SC 7.5? Serial number WTU216MC 399F. There’s another reference number on there, TBI2540.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, Linsey got her new bike in Kona. New paint job for sure. Doesn't look like disc to me!

https://www.instagram.com/...rce=ig_web_copy_link

And same for Timbo Reed: https://www.instagram.com/...rce=ig_web_copy_link
Last edited by: sigmachi: Oct 6, 19 1:26
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sigmachi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice paint but sad to see no innovation since 2014.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Ozzie1973] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it is like most serial numbers it looks like it was manufactured in Feb 2016
Last edited by: D.O.: Oct 6, 19 5:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About #1, I can see 2 possibilities:
a) This is how your rear wheel is dished? A bit more to one side than "standard"?
b) The 2 smaller screws of the speed fin bolt into the rear brake.. maybe the brake (2 bolts securing the rear brake bracket to the frame) is not installed perfectly straight
As long as there is no rubbing of any kind including under load, I would not worry too much about it;

About #2, it's covered in this massive thread.. but it is so massive that I find it hard to find info myself!
IIRC, the previous TREK representative and other owners recommended to rotate the craddle 180 degrees so the set screw is in the front, if you do need more reach. This is what I have been doing for years, on 2 SC's, without issues. I am careful in my tightening procedure to not overstress the 2 bolts by insuring the set screw helps supporting the extensions.

Hope this helps!

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, will give that a try for the mono extension!

Re the rear brake and fin, I did think of that earlier today as well, and loosened the two bolts that fasten to the frame. Seems like the fixture really only moves fore-aft, but by moving one more than the other you can kind of tilt it. It may have made a small difference, hard to tell.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sigmachi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sigmachi wrote:
Well, Linsey got her new bike in Kona. New paint job for sure. Doesn't look like disc to me!

Yeah, looks like I am right unfortunately. Nothing new to at least next spring. Given that they just sent out the survey a month ago, my thought is we dont see anything until the one week Tour prep races.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
sigmachi wrote:

Yeah, looks like I am right unfortunately. Nothing new to at least next spring. Given that they just sent out the survey a month ago, my thought is we dont see anything until the one week Tour prep races.

Very Sad and disappointed.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang! Was hoping they'd release the disc version so that I can cheaply scoop up a small size rim brake version frame.

If anyone has one they'd like to let go let me know.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [MXGimp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can buy a 2020 Speed Concept for under 4K. It’s the best deal going !
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [r-b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I already have an SC in a medium....just wanting to go to a small frame instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [r-b] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r-b wrote:
You can buy a 2020 Speed Concept for under 4K. It’s the best deal going !

Agreed! Best value in TT bikes out there!.... I want a update to the best integrated fastest bike out there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey folks, is the below Bontrager bottle cage/mount the only way to have a bottle mounted on the gen2 bars? Or is there an easy workaround to get a riser/bracket on there to hold any old bottle cage? I'd rather not spend $120 + tax on a bottle cage....

https://www.trekbikes.com/...bottle-cage/p/11864/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All you need is the bottom mount bracket that will go over arm pad bar. Any cage will work then.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
All you need is the bottom mount bracket that will go over arm pad bar. Any cage will work then.

Right, but I can't seem to find it as a separate item on the trek website. Maybe Mitch can chime in with an item code if the mount is available separately?

Thx!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Sbernardi wrote:

Right, but I can't seem to find it as a separate item on the trek website. Maybe Mitch can chime in with an item code if the mount is available separately?

Thx!

trek 512178
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s available. Call a Trek Store

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys. I can't find it on the Canadian website, but I've sent the part number to my LBS to see if it is in fact available to them.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Ya'll

I'm playing with the fit on my Gen1 9.9. Does anyone happen to have a low/near stem laying around?
Also has anyone used the TriRig SC clamps to clean up the front end https://www.tririg.com/...id=2011_05_SC_Clamps

Cheers

Jason
Quote Reply
Mono Extension Reference [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey all, wanted to share a question that was raised on my intro thread regarding mono extensions.

turningscrews wrote:
Are the Speed Concept mono extensions really out of stock everywhere or do I need to go to a shop to have them ordered?

We've actually updated them to fit with the new hardware (enlarged from 5mm to 6mm bolts). This requires new hardware and a new slider to fit the new mono extensions.

6mm bolts and T-nuts – 596164
Mono Slider – W582447

If you visit your dealer they can order these along with the new extensions (which they'd see through their dealer portal).

Mono S-Bend: W582445
Mono Short: W582444
Mono Long: W582443

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply

Prev Next