Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hey! Sam Long! How about an Ask Me Anything?!
Quote | Reply
we love our uberbikers! sam long just uberbiked his way to a victory at IM chattanooga, and he must've done some pretty good swim/running as well.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Hey! Sam Long! How about an Ask Me Anything?! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just sent him a text about this. He's definitely had a breakout year, and I think he'll get even better as he is learning about how his body responds to training, racing, rest, etc.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Curious to hear more of his training/prep. He’s an interesting young pro with a lot of potential. Great performance yesterday on a brutal day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dan! Sam Long here. I've always just been a lurker on ST but I guess when you win an IM you have to have a ST account. I'm game, let's do it. We can start it here if you would like.

Sam Long
AKA The BigUnit
IG: @samgolong
Quote Reply
Re: Hey! Sam Long! How about an Ask Me Anything?! [Sam(go) Long] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam,

Congrats on the win! How many Little Debbie's snacks did you consume pre, during, and post race?
Quote Reply
Re: Hey! Sam Long! How about an Ask Me Anything?! [Sam(go) Long] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I follow you on insta, but i don't usually listen to your stories, but i got the feeling you thought maybe you were overdoing training, or tapering? also how easy did you take the run? or was that survival mode?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As another Big Unit...but not nearly as fast. What's your strength program like?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto on your thoughts during the run and walking through the last aid stations. Was it a calculated move or a necessity in the heat?

Congratulations on an awesome win!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How intimidated were you when I passed you on the bike? (Probably pink)

Adam Feigh
Pianko Law, Speed Hound, Castelli, Sailfish, Base
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sam(go) Long wrote:
Hey Dan! Sam Long here. I've always just been a lurker on ST but I guess when you win an IM you have to have a ST account. I'm game, let's do it. We can start it here if you would like.

first, you shredded. second, you threw down. third, you sent a message. now, fourth. i can't say for sure and i'm pretty bad at this kind of identification, but that looks on your IG feed that you're aboard a cervelo P5, that is, a new one. with the new P5 front end (aerobars). am i wrong about that? and sorry in advance if i am.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The big unit, does that relate to your heart, lungs, general physique or all 3?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, Sam! Raced Chatt last year when it was not nearly as hot. Saw your IG on the run kit. Did you utilize ice and if so were you happy without the tri kit as a place for the ice? Will the T2 change be your plan on hot races in the future? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yo Yo Yo!

Below I’ll detail some of the information that I can imagine people are curious about judging off the questions.
First off, for this race I did things very differently than what is often done. They are listed below:

1. No bike computer on the bike. That’s correct, no timer, no watts, no anything. Just perceived exertion. I focused solely on riding smooth and staying within a very comfortable zone on the bike.

2. My front gear rings were a 53--39, and rear cassette a 11-25. Unlike virtually every other pro who runs a 55—42. I did this because I didn’t want to be shifting between the big ring and little ring on the rollers, which are abundant in Chattanooga. I also wanted to be able to keep the cadence high and save my legs for the run. Ironically, I dropped the group on the downhill even though I had far less gears than everyone.
I fit my bike myself. I was on a new Cervelo P5 disc which I received in August. I rode about 500 miles on it and then sent it with Tri Bike Transport to Nice and then straight to Chattanooga. Before the IM I had ridden about 500 miles on the bike and only about 150 on the bike in the six weeks leading up to it. I changed a few things from old Trek Speed concept fit (Which was fitted professionally by Ivan O’Gorman). The saddle was a little farther forward. The cockpit is also very different. I didn’t have the tilt kit, so the bars have no tilt, are lower down than my Trek, and the Arm pads are farther away from the saddle (More reach). I had to fit my bike myself as I received the bike only 10 days before I had to have it shipped to Nice and IOG was out of town until the day before I flew out. Do I get it fitted now/
I changed into run clothes in transition knowing I would be more comfortable. I think I was also cooler as it allows for more breathability. My plan is to do this in all future IM’s.
As to how the race unfolded:
I had a good swim for me. In the lead up to this I focused on the swim but went after it in a very different angle than usual. I decreased my total yardage per week but focused on making every single stroke count. I hit lots of upper end aerobic swims and enough fast sprinting to work on my takeout speed. The swim on an RPE scale for me would be a 4-5. Once, I settled into a group it felt very relaxed, but I went with it as I could see I was with the major players. Frankly, pulling ahead would have done me no good in my plan for the race.

I passed several people in T1 and came out in T2 right behind Andrew Talansky. My plan for the race was to bike very conservatively. I was planning on letting the other players decide the pace and then make my move(s) on the run. After a little while we formed a large group most notably with Talansky, Feigh, and Russell. We then caught the second chase group including Nick Chase. At this point there were 7-8 of us. The pace was feeling very easy to me, but I was OK with that. When we came to a part of the course that I knew has some downhill turns and rollers that tends to separate people my intention was to put in a small surge to separate the weaker and stronger riders. However, I ended up pulling ahead of everyone and gained easily a half km on everyone within 5 miles.

I opted to roll with it. I still felt I was riding very within my limits and focused on staying smooth and aerodynamic. I took opportunities whenever I could to stretch my back at the top of rollers as a proactive measure to avoid any back tightness. The bike went by relatively quick. It only felt difficult from miles 105-112. I estimate that I drank 13x20 oz bottles on the bike giving me 260 oz or roughly 2 gallons. I also had 2250 kcals. I had no idea what my bike time was or that I had broken the course record.

The run was where this race would be lost or won. I had thought I would only have about two minutes on everyone (again as I thought I was riding pretty mellow). My original intention was to try and have an evenly paced run which would mean starting slow As I ran out, I learned my lead was at least eight minutes. I quickly opted for a different strategy deciding for a positive split run. An IM is equally about winning the mental side as about winning the physical. I knew if I got a big enough lead at 13 miles that my competitors would lose their winning spirit. I set a goal to have a 13-minute lead at the halfway point. I came through 13.4 miles in 1:28:01 putting another 4:16 into Russell. At this point I knew he would have to run over a minute a mile faster to beat me (Faster for the other athletes).

From here my focus shifted to winning the race as the only goal. My strategy was to run as fast I could with 0% risk of having a blow up or anything that could cost me the lead. Therefore, you saw me walking up hills, and playing things conservatively. I believe I could have run faster had I decided to pace it in a more even manner. However, that may have given the other athletes a will to push deeper. As to if I could have gone faster with my strategy I employed. We won’t know until someone pushes me at the end. I don’t believe in saying I had more or less at the end. I went as fast as I did and saying it was easy would be a big lie. However, the potential to kill yourself to win an IM is huge that the answer can only be found by testing it.

My training leading into this:
My training into this was a different approach than my usual. I far over-trained for IM LP which resulted in a DNF. My energy levels were simply not the same so I couldn’t go with my usual do everything long and hard. I really had to listen to my body and give it what it wanted.

Full disclosure: I had to leave my coach into the build-up. We simply had very different thoughts on how to reach a peak performance at this race. I owe him a tremendous amount as he developed me massively as an athlete. I give a lot of the credit of this win to him. Thanks Ryan.

Of course, I raced 70.3 Worlds which was a mediocre performance and was 3 weeks out. When I flew back, I was sick for 4 days doing nothing. I nearly decided not to race. I did one big test workout 12 days out (Tuesday) to determine if I was ready.

The session was
4k morning hard swim right into a
15.3-mile build run done in 1:43:41
Rest for a few hours
2-hour ride with 20x2’ at 400-425 watts big gear into
8 mile run with 8x800 in 2:40-45 with 100-meter jog between.
Ended with a sauna session

Based on how I executed this session I decided I was fit enough. The time after this saw me doing little high intensity work. I mostly did 4-hour rides at a moderate pace ending with some stuff at IM Effort. I did a big carb up and was ready.

Strength training:
I always do a lot of strength training. I include mobility into this. Two sessions a week of proper lifting and 3-4 days that include some core and mobility.

Sauna: As soon as I got back from Nice I hit the sauna. Hard. If 100% would be on the verge of fainting, I would go about 90%. I did this virtually every day. My longest session was 43 minutes in the sauna.

Sam Long
AKA The BigUnit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
apparently you're new around here. we don't care about the swim, the run, the nutrition, the training or any of that. we only care about your bike equipment. and your watts. and your politics when you're in the lavender room (the other forum). and since you don't know your watts, that leaves your bike equipment. (most of that is pink.) so...

thank you about the gearing explanation. of course you're right. you're right about the gear changes, esp if you're in synchro/sequential, where a high frequency of FD changes is a real pain. if you're on a rolling course then that's when you would hypothetically need a big masher gear (coming down from hawi), but you didn't have a masher gear and you still outrode folks on the descents. it would be nice if more of your compadres understood that. well, for you, probably best if they don't understand that.

speed concept = great bike. P5 disc = great bike. why did you switch? and how do you compare the two?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For more perspective on Sam getting his break:

Sam made the pass just after the turn around point where the slight downhill started. (Shortly after the camera moto nearly made me wipe out by basically stopping in the turn as I came through). I had already spent a bit more energy earlier in the ride than preferred and didn’t think it smart to chase Sam, and am not a huge fan of tailing super close for any legal benefits. Nobody seemed to come around me either so we all just sort of watched Sam drift up the road!

For more reference, I was running a 54/11 max and Matt with a 50/9 max, so fairly similar set ups on the top end. That specific section after the pass I still maintained my average cadence of 82 with power staying around 270ish.

Adam Feigh
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great write up! I'm an unofficial representative of the non-60-year-olds on Slowtwitch. The four of us totally dig ALL your details.

It seems like you drank a TON on the bike. Where did you get 13 bottles? Did all your calories come from liquid?

Great race and report!
Quote Reply
Re: Hey! Sam Long! How about an Ask Me Anything?! [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
Great write up! I'm an unofficial representative of the non-60-year-olds on Slowtwitch. The four of us totally dig ALL your details.

ok that was funny..
note I'm 59, soon there will only be 3 of you..

Calamityjane88 wrote:
It seems like you drank a TON on the bike. Where did you get 13 bottles? Did all your calories come from liquid?

Great race and report!

this struck me too, 2 gallons seems an extraordinary amount.. ironGut..
Quote Reply
Re: Hey! Sam Long! How about an Ask Me Anything?! [Feighathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feighathlon wrote:

Sam made the pass just after the turn around point where the slight downhill started. (Shortly after the camera moto nearly made me wipe out by basically stopping in the turn as I came through). I had already spent a bit more energy earlier in the ride than preferred and didn’t think it smart to chase Sam, and am not a huge fan of tailing super close for any legal benefits. Nobody seemed to come around me either so we all just sort of watched Sam drift up the road!

For more reference, I was running a 54/11 max and Matt with a 50/9 max, so fairly similar set ups on the top end. That specific section after the pass I still maintained my average cadence of 82 with power staying around 270ish.

thank you for the added color. it's always nice to get the blow by blow from the insider's point of view. (and you had a pretty nice race yourself, btw.) the point that i'm trying to make, artfully or no, is that he's riding 127" gear inches in a 53x11, plus or minus depending on tire size. that's 33mph at 87rpm. are there pedaling descents that exceed that speed? maybe. depending on weight, cda, apparent wind, at a certain point you're coasting. tucking. whatever you do. probably, if anything, you're alternating coasting and pedaling at a higher cadence, and at, say, 97rpm you're at 37mph. it's pretty rare that you need a big meaty gear.

conversely, if you have more than 13 teeth difference between big and small ring you're shifting the FD a lot on a rolling course, and if your big ring is 55t you're also shifting the FD a lot on a course like that. i just think a lot of hard riders seduce themselves into bigger gears than they need and they don't realize what that can cost them in the course of the ride.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Feighathlon wrote:

thank you for the added color. it's always nice to get the blow by blow from the insider's point of view. (and you had a pretty nice race yourself, btw.) the point that i'm trying to make, artfully or no, is that he's riding 127" gear inches in a 53x11, plus or minus depending on tire size. that's 33mph at 87rpm. are there pedaling descents that exceed that speed? maybe. depending on weight, cda, apparent wind, at a certain point you're coasting. tucking. whatever you do. probably, if anything, you're alternating coasting and pedaling at a higher cadence, and at, say, 97rpm you're at 37mph. it's pretty rare that you need a big meaty gear.

conversely, if you have more than 13 teeth difference between big and small ring you're shifting the FD a lot on a rolling course, and if your big ring is 55t you're also shifting the FD a lot on a course like that. i just think a lot of hard riders seduce themselves into bigger gears than they need and they don't realize what that can cost them in the course of the ride.

Definitely agree. I did Chatty last year with a 55/42-11/28 combo and shifted the front derailleur precisely 8 times. Switching to 54 1x and 11/32 worked even better. I doubt I’ll be switching back to the 55 anytime soon as it’s so rarely necessary in racing. Though occasionally convenient in training on descents or high wind days to stay steadier.

Adam Feigh
Feighathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Feighathlon wrote:

Surely that's less of an issue though when the set up is a 1x? Adam rode 1x (for the first time in a race I believe) and sounds like Matt Russell was on a 1x AXS group (though it could be 2x). That's going to be no more shifting than a 2x setup and especially cutting out the FD shifts it seems like the safer option. Maybe not more efficient chain-line wise when a rolling course means spending more time at the extremes but from purely a shifting perspective...

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Hey! Sam Long! How about an Ask Me Anything?! [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Feighathlon wrote:

Surely that's less of an issue though when the set up is a 1x? Adam rode 1x (for the first time in a race I believe) and sounds like Matt Russell was on a 1x AXS group (though it could be 2x). That's going to be no more shifting than a 2x setup and especially cutting out the FD shifts it seems like the safer option. Maybe not more efficient chain-line wise when a rolling course means spending more time at the extremes but from purely a shifting perspective...

i think i stand in pretty solid ground when i claim that you won't be shifting the FD very often if you're riding a 1x. no argument from me on that one!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha okay. I deserved that one.
I guess my unasked question there, which I'll direct towards Sam if he reads this, is why not just go 1x for a course like this one? If you're worried about having to shift too much you could pretty easily swap out chainrings and take off the FD and solve a lot of your potential problems all at once. Unless you are sensitive to cadence (which I'm guessing you're not considering you rode without a computer) it seems sacrificing an upper gear could have been avoided by just going 1x to begin with. Clearly didn't affect your performance and I'm admittedly pretty biased towards 1x but I'd be curious to hear if you've considered it.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Haha okay. I deserved that one.
I guess my unasked question there, which I'll direct towards Sam if he reads this, is why not just go 1x for a course like this one? If you're worried about having to shift too much you could pretty easily swap out chainrings and take off the FD and solve a lot of your potential problems all at once. Unless you are sensitive to cadence (which I'm guessing you're not considering you rode without a computer) it seems sacrificing an upper gear could have been avoided by just going 1x to begin with. Clearly didn't affect your performance and I'm admittedly pretty biased towards 1x but I'd be curious to hear if you've considered it.

i don't know what sam will say, but i'm quite happy riding SRAM electronic 1x if i have enough gear for the course; and i'm quite happy riding shimano 2x electronic, tho not in synchro if i have a lot of FD shifting to do. in both cases it's near impossible to derail the chain.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Hey! Sam Long! How about an Ask Me Anything?! [Feighathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feighathlon wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Feighathlon wrote:

Definitely agree. I did Chatty last year with a 55/42-11/28 combo and shifted the front derailleur precisely 8 times. Switching to 54 1x and 11/32 worked even better. I doubt I’ll be switching back to the 55 anytime soon as it’s so rarely necessary in racing. Though occasionally convenient in training on descents or high wind days to stay steadier.

Adam, thanks for the insight on to the "pass". That makes a lot more sense, as I didnt feel I was dropping big big power so was surprised to see.

I totally agree as well to the fact that its relatively rare that you need a big meaty gear-although it seems like most triathletes seem to think we do. In the past, I have thought this as well. I have raced every race except for this one on on a 55 big ring. I think it may allow me ti bike slightly faster but at a large cost of smashing too big of a gear and not being able to run off.

Sam Long
AKA The BigUnit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great point. I have never ridden a 1x on a TT or road bike. However I love it on my MTB. The main reason is my bike component sponsor is Shimano so went with what they add. Personally I think both would be fine, although a 1x on this course in particular would be pretty ideal.

Sam Long
AKA The BigUnit
Quote Reply

Prev Next