Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wattie Ink Fit?
Quote | Reply
I need to order a Wattie Ink team kit (tri top & bottom and cycling jersey) and am not certain what size would work best. I'm solidly M by their sizing chart and hope to lose another 5-10# by next season, which might put me in S, but I'm thinking that may be more compressive than I need/want. Dus are my jam, so I'd prefer something a bit less compressive, since I don't swim. I'm also very hourglass-shaped and high-waisted and find that compression tops ALWAYS ride/roll up to my natural waist, even with grippers.

I think for the cycling jersey that I'd likely go L, since I'd be using that more for non-competition bike events and I have wicked bingo arms (ugh, genetics).

"Rectum, damn near killed 'em!"
Thriving, in spite of familial metastatic colorectal cancer since 2017 (diagnosed @ 44)
Minus most of rectum/sigmoid colon and 1 lung lobe
Early screening saves lives!
Quote Reply
Re: Wattie Ink Fit? [zoomydu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trying to figure out sizing virtually is the worst. Can you call them and ask?

The only gear I have from them is a bathing suit - it fits TTS. Probably not much help.
Quote Reply
Re: Wattie Ink Fit? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
Trying to figure out sizing virtually is the worst. Can you call them and ask?

The only gear I have from them is a bathing suit - it fits TTS. Probably not much help.

You're SO right! Cycling/tri sizing is awful. It seems like more often than not if I go by a sizing chart I find that things run SUPER small! I had a pair of LG tri shorts that were an XL and still too small. Yeah, I may end up calling them. I googled to see if I could find discussions anywhere re: their fit and didn't find much.

Thriving, in spite of familial metastatic colorectal cancer since 2017 (diagnosed @ 44)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know the wattie ink hashtag is popular on instagram. Do some random stalking and find some women you can ask?? 'Tis the modern way... :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I typically waffle between a L and an XL, depending on stretch and cut (and fluffiness!). I can tell you that for the tri top, I would fit solidly in the XL according to the size chart and in all actuality it was tight. If you don't want compressive, I would not recommend you size down. I haven't tried any shorts, so I have no useful input there.
Quote Reply
Re: Wattie Ink Fit? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
I know the wattie ink hashtag is popular on instagram. Do some random stalking and find some women you can ask?? 'Tis the modern way... :P

Ha, that's a really good idea!

Quote Reply
Re: Wattie Ink Fit? [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK2ME wrote:
I typically waffle between a L and an XL, depending on stretch and cut (and fluffiness!). I can tell you that for the tri top, I would fit solidly in the XL according to the size chart and in all actuality it was tight. If you don't want compressive, I would not recommend you size down. I haven't tried any shorts, so I have no useful input there.

This is kind of what I was suspecting. I'm betting the shorts are similar.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two kits.

American punk. XS top / S shorts
Custom race kit. S top / M shorts

And I have a tape measure. What do you want to know?

Today I'm 35" bust, 29.5" waist, 38.75 hips. Both kits go on. Here are my thoughts.

XS top - tight, no wrinkles, silicone waist band doesn't ride up my hips. Truly I'm putting a hurting on the waist band at my current weight.
S top - the right size for me.
BTW I like that the rear pockets are something I can actually get in to. For some reason other kit I've had I've nearly needed to dislocate my shoulder to get my hand up high enough to enter the pocket while biking.

S shorts - truthfully the seams cut in a bit above the leg bands. And the waist isn't so flattering at the moment either.
M shorts - fit right.
Pad in the shorts. Not a fan. I am a fan of thin pads but I truly don't like the stitching Wattie uses. Instead of light stitching that disappears on other pads, this is aggressive stitching that simply hurts me <1 h on a variety of saddles / bikes.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Wattie Ink Fit? [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
I have two kits.

American punk. XS top / S shorts
Custom race kit. S top / M shorts

And I have a tape measure. What do you want to know?

Today I'm 35" bust, 29.5" waist, 38.75 hips. Both kits go on. Here are my thoughts.

Our stats are pretty close! Like bust is identical and waist and hips are both within an inch of yours -- this is SUPER helpful! Silly question, but what's your thigh circumference at the widest point? That would really help settle my sizing dilemma, for certain. I tend to be relatively thunder-thigh'd.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
Pad in the shorts. Not a fan. I am a fan of thin pads but I truly don't like the stitching Wattie uses. Instead of light stitching that disappears on other pads, this is aggressive stitching that simply hurts me <1 h on a variety of saddles / bikes.
Also, I'm glad you mention this. It makes me reconsider the tri bottoms. I really love my Coeur bottoms, primarily because there are no seams/stitching anywhere between me and my saddle. I might be better just sticking with the shorts I know work for dus and instead get a pair of the bibs to match the cycling jersey. Hmmm....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey! Out of town at IMMD, but got a tape measure: answer is 21.5".

And for the following post, truth be told I'm planning to remove the chamioux from an old can-see-through-them-now pair but I love the pad, and sew it into the custom Wattie shorts. Will report back on how that goes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
Hey! Out of town at IMMD, but got a tape measure: answer is 21.5".
And for the following post, truth be told I'm planning to remove the chamioux from an old can-see-through-them-now pair but I love the pad, and sew it into the custom Wattie shorts. Will report back on how that goes.

Your thighs are maybe an inch smaller than mine. Otherwise we are close to body-doubles, from the sound of it!

That's not a bad idea to repurpose a chamois that you love. I should see about doing that with a couple of favorite Sugoi chamois that still has a lot of life left in them after I lost weight and the shorts were pretty trashed, anyhow. I'll bet my sewing whiz MIL could help with that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi. I love Wattie gear and I have been on the Wattie Hit Squad for 2 years. I buy both the kits that you can get from the online store and team kits. Words of wisdom... the stuff you buy from the regular online store is much roomier, free fitting (flexible) and less compressive compared to any of the team kits. The team kits are made with a much more compressive material. I found the online store stuff fits true to size (per their charts). In comparison, team kits are a full size smaller and very compressive. For example, last year I purchased a team kit top true to size and felt serious compression on my ribs. I have large/wide shoulders & 36 and need to definitely size up on the tops. The team short sizes are also in the grey area. If you find you are in the upper part of the scale I would size up for the team kits.

I’ve had Wattie kits for years - none of them ride up. The waist on the shorts prevent the tops from moving. I also have never had problems with the stitching in the tri shorts. I am a big fan of less pad is better. The bike shorts have more padding.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Sep 29, 19 0:41
Quote Reply
Re: Wattie Ink Fit? [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you -- that is incredibly helpful knowledge re: sizing from their stock kits to the custom team kits.

I'm pretty much sizing M via their charts for everything, so now I wonder if I should go L for tri top & bottoms and perhaps XL for SS jersey so that it fits more like a standard cycling top. I don't need for that to be compressive/aero at all, since I'd be wearing it for things like non-competitive centuries and fondos. And I have stupidly fat upper arms, even when I'm slim everywhere else. First place I gain, last place I lose (I blame my paternal female relatives for that stupid genetic "feature". My upper arms are even more stubborn than my boobs, when it comes to shrinking with weight loss).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah genetics suck. I come from a line of Greek warriors - literally. Everyone in my family has larger frame & bone structure. Totally get it. Also for some reason the team kit arms are tighter - it’s like they were afraid of a droplet of water seeping in or something. I would stick with your plan of not wearing the top during the swim - I do this as well.

One smart thing I picked up when ordering team kits is to purchase two sizes of tops and sell the one that fits less to another teammate. So if you wanted to go L and XL you could see what you like and then sell the other. We do this all of the time. I’ve also clued in to almost no one complaining that their kit is too big and a lot saying they wished they sized up. Since you don’t like the compressive feel I would size up. With the shorts probably one size up too (not 2 sizes up) - I say this because there isn’t an enormous difference in the sizing if you had a tad bigger. And if you swim with wetsuit/swim skin then you don’t need to worry about a little room.
Quote Reply
Re: Wattie Ink Fit? [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trigirl357 wrote:
Yeah genetics suck. I come from a line of Greek warriors - literally. Everyone in my family has larger frame & bone structure. Totally get it. Also for some reason the team kit arms are tighter - it’s like they were afraid of a droplet of water seeping in or something. I would stick with your plan of not wearing the top during the swim - I do this as well.

One smart thing I picked up when ordering team kits is to purchase two sizes of tops and sell the one that fits less to another teammate. So if you wanted to go L and XL you could see what you like and then sell the other. We do this all of the time. I’ve also clued in to almost no one complaining that their kit is too big and a lot saying they wished they sized up. Since you don’t like the compressive feel I would size up. With the shorts probably one size up too (not 2 sizes up) - I say this because there isn’t an enormous difference in the sizing if you had a tad bigger. And if you swim with wetsuit/swim skin then you don’t need to worry about a little room.

I only do dus, no tris, so I don't have to worry about swim fit, fortunately. Unfortunately the team I'm on (Fxck Cancer Endurance Club) is primarily based in SOCA and I'm in MI (trying to build a satellite team here after meeting a solo guy from our community wearing their kit)...so I'm probably stuck with whatever I order without the ability to swap pieces.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, totally random question. Did you do SOS 3 weeks ago?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
I did the Reeds Lake Du 3 weeks ago...what's SOS?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zoomydu wrote:
Tsunami wrote:

Survival of the Shawangunks. There was a woman in F Cancer kit; don't remember where she was from but thought maybe MI.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
zoomydu wrote:
Tsunami wrote:

Survival of the Shawangunks. There was a woman in F Cancer kit; don't remember where she was from but thought maybe MI.

Oh, that looks kind of amazing!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zoomydu wrote:
Tsunami wrote:
zoomydu wrote:
Tsunami wrote:

Oh, that looks kind of amazing!

Race report, if that kind of thing interests you.

https://shitsuesays.blogspot.com/...of-shawanagunks.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh wow, that sounds simultaneously awesome and terrible. Thanks for sharing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy crap, that is insane! But at the same time intriguing because it's so different from any other tri format.

Quote Reply