Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [Rclouviere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd check both the brake and shift (if you have manual shift) housing in the aerobars. One of them could have too much play and is slapping inside the bars.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. It actually feels pretty solid, just really noisy over any bump. Annoying.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds what it may be. How would i fix that? Or should i just rage it to LBS
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [Rclouviere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would first just see if there is a lot of play in the cable by giving them a light pull as they exit the aerobars. You might be able to pull some of the housing out which should tighten it up but you don't want to pull the housing out of the brake levers so don't go crazy with that. I am not a bike mechanic so hopefully someone else can come on with a better idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Posting in here because I bought one of the stems to try some slick aero/cable work on a road bike with some bars I've got.

It's a quality piece, but I totally did NOT read the spec sheet listing the weight of this thing. Holy freaking crap is this thing heavy.

It's like a little lead ingot of forged aluminum!

I got a great deal on it from PBK, but, if it was the max cost I probably would have just gone with an older integrated aero drop bar instead and forgot about doing anything fancy with cables.

It lists on some websites as 532g. My generic OEM Giant stem in same length is only 165g.

I may finish fitting it to the aero drop bar and just sell the aero drop bar and the stem together at a loss. I had to sand the paint/annodize off the sides of the stem to get the clearance to fit the aero bar. It's an aero bike, not light weight..........but still.

FWIW, the OEM bar and stem in cheapo generic Giant trim was 165g, 335g, and maybe 30g extra for more bar tape than an aerobar and having to use a heavier computer mount than an out front. So, 530g.

An old Giant integrated aerobar and stem is only 360g, claimed. I'm not a weight weenie, but that's nuts.

Be warned if you buy this that it is not a very svelte piece of kit.
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
robegan99 wrote:

I'm also curious if anyone has had success using this on a Felt IAxx, particularly with a TriRig Omega brake.

The stem fits, but I'm not liking the look of the clearance for the bottle with the nosecone.

Could you make it work with the TriRig Omega X Brake?
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [vemec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vemec wrote:
Could you make it work with the TriRig Omega X Brake?

Not on an IAx, it goes nicely with the Omega on other bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody with the Aeria Ultimate stem and water bottle have the bottle fall off?

I just put the stem and water bottle on my Canyon Speedmax CF. Yesterday, 5 miles in on my first ride the bottle fell off the front going downhill, drink tube must have been cut in the spokes, and valve got smashed. Bottle didn't crack but is all beat up. I put it back on and held it in place with a large rubber band I had until I could get home and look at it. I know when I put it on initially that I tugged on the bottle and it stayed secure. Later after further inspection I found that only one of the 2 prongs on the clip was engaging, when I pushed my finger between them I could feel the other clip engage. Only thing I can figure is that minutes before it fell off I was out of the saddle climbing with a full bottle. If only one of the clips was engaged maybe the lateral force climbing (rocking bars back and forth) combined with the weight of a almost full bottle sloshing around pulled it out the only clip holding it.

I've now got 3 weeks to a 70.3 to fix and improve the current system or switch to something else.
Last edited by: spenje: Aug 4, 19 4:00
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [spenje] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Aeria Bottle on my Willier. During 70.3 Ohio last week, around 30 miles in the bottle launched from the bike. Unfortunately, I was using the supplied Garmin mount, rather than a dedicated mount attached to the aero bars. I had to stop mid race and go back for the bottle only to find my Garmin Edge was rocketed into a corn field.

The instructions mention some sort of retention clip "clicking" when it's locked in or something, but my bottle has only ever seated with pressure and the clamshell like top pressing down on the bar. I am no longer confident in it and will not be running it in the future.
Last edited by: FasterTwitch: Aug 3, 19 8:54
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aeria Ultimate + Felt IA 14 + Trimax Aero Brake

I think it works pretty well

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Despite your fantastic efforts to answer all questions about the AU, I am still confused about the range of fit it provides. I am new to triathlon and the pad X/Y system of bike fitting, so my general ignorance is probably the culprit.

According to the table you provided from the Wilier Fit Guide, the bar provides an X range of 83mm (-24mm to 59mm for the 70mm stem and 6mm to 89mm for the 100mm stem). On the Profile Design site, the range is specified as 113mm (-21mm to 92mm), but the stem is not specified.

I believe I understand this discrepancy. With 5 rows of holes on the cups and 4 on the brackets, assuming both bolts are put in the same row means the are 7 positions. Hole centers are 15mm apart, providing 105mm. Adding 7.5mm for the difference in holes between the front and back edge of the cups gets me to the 113mm X range on the Profile Design site.

Looking at the guide on the Wilier site, it appears the cups are attached to the brackets with the bolts staggered (in rows 1 and 2) instead of being in one row. This causes the loss of two positions (30mm), so I get the 83mm range from the Wilier table.

If this is accurate, it would mean the 70mm stem actually provides an X range from -39mm to 74mm and the 100mm stem from -9mm to 104mm. Unfortunately, neither of these match the -21mm to 92mm range from the Profile Design site. Can you tell me what I’m doing wrong and what the true ranges of the two stems are?

The other thing that confused me was the impact tilt had on pad X. I am going to use the 100mm stem as an example since you provided dimensions for it earlier in the thread. That stem provides 98.7mm of X length to the center of the bar. I have to guess a bit here because I only have photos to judge from, but it looks like the tilt hardware is basically above the center of the bar. Therefore, the pivot point from which the tilt is created also has an X of 98.7mm.

The Wilier chart shows pad X values of 6mm to 89mm with no tilt. Given these are all inside the pivot point, I would have expected pad X to increase with tilt as the pad is being pushed down. The chart shows the opposite. I feel clueless!
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2x warning! This stem is a TANK! I ordered one for my Shiv TT, it does not fit stock but after a little time and a file, it does now.

burnthesheep wrote:
Posting in here because I bought one of the stems to try some slick aero/cable work on a road bike with some bars I've got.

It's a quality piece, but I totally did NOT read the spec sheet listing the weight of this thing. Holy freaking crap is this thing heavy.

It's like a little lead ingot of forged aluminum!

I got a great deal on it from PBK, but, if it was the max cost I probably would have just gone with an older integrated aero drop bar instead and forgot about doing anything fancy with cables.

It lists on some websites as 532g. My generic OEM Giant stem in same length is only 165g.

I may finish fitting it to the aero drop bar and just sell the aero drop bar and the stem together at a loss. I had to sand the paint/annodize off the sides of the stem to get the clearance to fit the aero bar. It's an aero bike, not light weight..........but still.

FWIW, the OEM bar and stem in cheapo generic Giant trim was 165g, 335g, and maybe 30g extra for more bar tape than an aerobar and having to use a heavier computer mount than an out front. So, 530g.

An old Giant integrated aerobar and stem is only 360g, claimed. I'm not a weight weenie, but that's nuts.

Be warned if you buy this that it is not a very svelte piece of kit.
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [clamato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The info on the PD site is giving the total reach range including stem change. 83 +30 = 113.
The Wilier only has one stem, so gets the standard 83mm (52.5mm on the armrest, 30mm on the mount).

The behaviour of a bar when tilted depends on the orientation of the tilt surface.
Here we have a concave bracket (Aeria Ultimate)

Vs a convex one (modelled on Enve SES in this case)

Here is a comparison of the path of the pad rear for different styles

Hopefully that helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody knows if the brackets can be obtained separately? They are not listed in PD's website
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Aeria Ultimate brackets? Do you have a bar with no brackets?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I have the other tilt kit which is a bit on the heavy side and would like to try these brackets, plus they tilt up to 15% vs 10% and from the looks of it it is due to a larger cut out in the ultimate brackets.

However, it is a bit difficult for me to understand that someone charges a premium price for a product and then provides little to none documentation and spares. Mind you, this applies to all the cycling industry, not just profile design.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your explanation of the tilt impact was very helpful! Not being a designer, I assumed tilt happened around a single pivot point and didn't think about the structures needed to allow for tilt. The illustrations really clarified that.

As for the X range, I now understand the info on the Profile Design site. However, based on the following, I thought the range would be 113mm:

cyclenutnz wrote:
brbbiking wrote:
Any issue running the furthest reach configuration (I.e., the least amount of overlap of armrest and basebar mount)?

There is no issue. The armrests have been tested in all of the extreme configurations.
The standard bolt set up is in line with extensions, having the bolts side by side in the extreme forward and rear positions has also passed testing.
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
No, I have the other tilt kit which is a bit on the heavy side and would like to try these brackets, plus they tilt up to 15% vs 10% and from the looks of it it is due to a larger cut out in the ultimate brackets.

Aeria Ultimate brackets will not work on the Aeria1 bar that you have. The Evo bracket was designed as an upgrade kit for the Aeria1, which is why you see that bracket for sale. The Aeria Ultimate bracket only fits the AU bar + Cube and Wilier basebars.

Quote:
However, it is a bit difficult for me to understand that someone charges a premium price for a product and then provides little to none documentation and spares. Mind you, this applies to all the cycling industry, not just profile design.

Profile Design instruction sheets have been a bit dismal, I'm working to improve that. I like to think that the Aeria Evo instructions are fairly complete.
Quote Reply
Re: Choice between the new ENVE SES Aero TT system or the Profile Design Aeria Ultimate. Which would you choose? [clamato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
clamato wrote:
However, based on the following, I thought the range would be 113mm:

cyclenutnz wrote:
There is no issue. The armrests have been tested in all of the extreme configurations.
The standard bolt set up is in line with extensions, having the bolts side by side in the extreme forward and rear positions has also passed testing.

All of the fit range data is based on fore-aft bolt placement (you lose some width adjustability with side by side). The side by side was tested to make sure that it wouldn't be dangerous but the extreme setups aren't exactly a preferred option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for clearing everything up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple more brief questions.

What is the range of width adjustment possible with the race armrests as compared to the standard armrests that come with the aeria ultimate?

I think you mentioned at one point there would be a better solution for hiding a di2 junction box. Was that the revised version of the aeria ultimate stem or perhaps using the aeria hydration system to hide a junction box mounted under the stem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clamato wrote:
What is the range of width adjustment possible with the race armrests as compared to the standard armrests that come with the aeria ultimate?

AU currently comes with the Boom armrest. There will be a running change to Ergo armrest and a different extension in a couple of months.

in each case there are 18.5mm steps between narrowest and widest. The Boom is effectively 20mm wider than stated so you would set a Race armrest at a wider c-c measurement than a Boom to maintain the same position.

clamato wrote:
I think you mentioned at one point there would be a better solution for hiding a di2 junction box. Was that the revised version of the aeria ultimate stem or perhaps using the aeria hydration system to hide a junction box mounted under the stem?

No, much more elegant than that. It's not for an EW90 junction box though. I don't think it has been officially released yet so I still can't say anything. It is in use on a couple of bikes and working well.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobar and stem [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone using this stem hydration setup on a BMC TM02 two? Looking into that build but would like to see how clean it is first
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info about the armrests.

I apologize for my ignorance and recognize you might be constrained by what you can say, but I'm not sure I understand your answer to my second question. I have a di2 setup with the SW90 B. Does that mean the solution will not work with my parts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I checked with the Boss this morning and I can show the new solution

Overexposed pic because I didn't check fstop on the camera

This is for the RS910 junction box (battery is in the RH extension)
Fits in any alloy extension but no current carbon extension. There is a new carbon model coming from PD that can fit it (it's also very light but rather expensive) that can fit the RS910 in.

My thinking was that having the junction box hidden away isn't all that helpful so not much point in trying to adapt the stem (which is costly because it needs a lot of testing). Putting it in the end of the extension offers easy access and tidy routing. Frame routing is easy too as it's just a JC130 Y-Junction between the derailleurs (you don't have to put the battery in the extension though).

Will be available in the USA by the middle of February. Rest of the world I don't know - I think it takes a little longer. Could easily be the middle of the year before they arrive here in NZ.
Quote Reply

Prev Next