Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Women's two-piece tri kit recommendations
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if you ladies had any recommendations for a two-piece tri kit for my wife. We got her a one-piece Orca trisuit last year, which she only wore for one event; while it fit really well, the zipper gave her a nasty abrasion on her upper sternum, and she struggled with it in the porta-potty. She's wanting to go back to a two piece (she previously raced the last year in tri shorts and a sleeveless cycling jersey, but she's wanting something more aerodynamic). This only her second year racing tri/du, but she's a real go-getter and usually places top-three in her AG (especially in du, her preferred event).

One thing she really wants to avoid: the muffing top situation. Her current 2XU shorts create this uncomfortable situation, so she's hoping to avoid it moving forward.

Thanks in advance!

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: Women's two-piece tri kit recommendations [OtterJohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer: I'm a Zoot team member.

But.

I'm a team member because I freaking LOVE their kits and other clothes. Comfortable, no-ride, no muffin topping, and their shorts don't budge. Their chamois is great, their kit tops and tank tops are also comfy as heck.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Women's two-piece tri kit recommendations [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent, thank you for the recommendation! I'll send her the link to the site and see what she thinks. I know they have a ton of different design/color choices.

- John
Quote Reply
Re: Women's two-piece tri kit recommendations [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! We've seen a lot of Coeur kits at local events, so definitely going to check them out.

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wearing a two-piece tri-suit (separate vest and shorts) is often more comfortable and convenient for long-distance triathlons,than a one-piece tri-suit. But which two-piece is best? Matt Baird tests seven two-piece tri-suits to find out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my SOAS 2 piece suits, just purchased a second one. I have worn for all distances up to IM. Super comfortable and both the top and bottoms stay in place.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's two-piece tri kit recommendations [hiker726] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the SOAS kits! I love these kits so much that I applied to be an Ambassador and happily got chosen for 2019. I can't imagine wearing anything else for comfort and practicality when doing an Ironman. The tops are long and don't ride up like many tri shirts I see out there. That is awful. And the shorts are comfy and don't go down to your knees like regular bike shorts (I strongly dislike long shorts when racing) . Love the SOAS shorts. I can't say enough good things about SOAS. And they are hand-made in the USA which is a bonus.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's two-piece tri kit recommendations [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, see the "riding up" issue with tri tops is another thing my wife is trying to avoid. So many designs seem cropped, which is fine if you're not moving...

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Figured I'd update this thread and let you ladies know what my wife chose for the season.

We got her a short-sleeved Castelli tri top to go with her 2XU shorts; she also has her Orca Core trisuit. She's worn both this season, depending on the event and distance, and they've both worked well. She thinks she'll continue to switch kit, based on each event's logistics (i.e. distance, restroom availability, is she swimming, etc.).

Thanks for all the great advice here!

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad she found options that make her happy!

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Late to the thread but to add...

If zipper rub is a problem at the top, she may be able to fashion a zipper housing out of some spare fabric. I used some extra bathing suit fabric for this with success on one kit.

Unfortunately I haven't found a solution yet for zipper rub at the bottom (on my Verge team kit). Body glide helps enough for sprint / oly but I could stand a better solution for half iron distance. I may get new kit (Jackroo) for next year when I return to iron racing - they have a model where the top of the one piece kit unzips at the bottom as though it were a separate top, and the shorts extend upward like they are a bib. Overall effect is the zipper bottom is on top of the shorts instead of sitting against the skin. This design also looks a bit easier to get on (eg for bathroom stops). It's downside is the sleeves on the women's cut are short / capped vs covering the whole upper arm.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Women's two-piece tri kit recommendations [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought about that...or a small piece of moleskin, but she's allergic to latex, so there's that complication. I might see if I have an old jersey or race shirt we can cut a piece out of for that zipper. Good suggestion!

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, after the last race of the season a couple weeks ago, the Orca Core suit needs to find a new home. My wife's a bit busty, but slim otherwise, and the suit isn't really cut for someone with a DD cup size. She got some zipper chafing at the top, right across her upper chest (she calls it a "spider bite" because there are two "fang" marks from the zipper). So we'll be back in the market next season for another one-piece (though her two piece setup has worked well, she just prefers the "slimming effect" of the one-piece.

How are the Zoot and Betty Design suits for those with a larger chest?

If any of you ladies need a worn-only-twice 2018 Orca Core trisuit, send me a PM (I also have it listed on the Classifieds page). :)

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry that your wife had chafe. Frankly, nothing is cut well for women with boobs, and the more disproportionate you are, the worse it gets.

I'm 5'3", 180-ish, size 12-14 in street clothes, and a DDD. I typically wear an XL top in separates (both Zoot and Betty), or commonly a large in a one-piece (although still XL in Betty). I think my lack of height makes up for the fabric that gets taken up going over my chest. I've found Coeur tops to be generally longer, so may be worth investigating?
Quote Reply
Re: Women's two-piece tri kit recommendations [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the recommendations! The Orca suit fit better this year than last, because she lost some weight, so there was less movement and "drag" on the top of the suit...but it was still very frustrating for her. We're definitely going to be exercising the return policies of kit companies this off-season. :)

- John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just tried Brava and I really like there fit!

https://bravatriathlon.ca/...YrFL8HAaApyxEALw_wcB

Jaxs
USAT Tri Coach
Quote Reply