Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm well Dr TC, thanks for getting us started. How are you? Hope you had a good time with the family!

I've been semi-lurking the last few weeks while I was on holiday.
Dr_C - hope you managed to take care of yourself and that the taper crazies haven't been too bad.
SoCal - nice work in Nice and then afterward on holiday!
UK2ME - annoying about the timing issue but thanks for being a swim angel! I would have loved one when I was starting out and probably even now for ocean/sea swims.
MM - potato chips sounds good. Injuries are so frustrating! Hope this week is better.

I'm back home and back to reality now though. The trip was fabulous but some of the mountains kicked my butt! No blood or tears were shed on my part so I'm going to consider it a win. I'm already contemplating my return to the peaks but not before I have a few more watts under my belt.

Back to training this week. FTP test yesterday showed me down 5 watts since my last test but up 21 compared to this time last year. For the next few weeks I'm planning a lot of easy riding with one HARD session a week. Back to strength training as well; yesterday's session in the gym showed me how much I'm leaving on the table.

The plan:
M: Swim (done) + hard bike
T: Easy bike + easy run + strength
W: Swim + easy run
Th: easy bike + strength
F: swim + longer run
S: easy bike
S: rest
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started Dr. Tigerchik, hope your coping skills are back on track and your niggles are healing.

Nice to see you, Scheherazade -- loved seeing your vacation photos :D

Quote:
This will be another chill week -- I'll bike, I'll run, I'll swim, I'll yoga but all by feel and all pretty relaxed.

Nailed it! I pool swam twice, splashed in the ocean once, rode my bike 3 times, never even glanced at the trainer, ran 4 times, took a yoga class, went for a spectacular hike, had a glorious rest day, and did my quarterly FMS screen to prep my program for the reintegration some heavier strength.

More of the same this week plus my annual super fun swim relay with my ocean swim group.

Happy training, y'all!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is an FMS screen?
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FMS (Functional Movement Screen) is a screening tool designed to identify compensatory movement patterns and inefficient movements that can be indicative of increased injury risk. I have some of both (LOL) and do a lot of the same thing over and over so I do a quarterly screen to keep an eye on things, particularly as I plan strength and p/rehab. I've been doing it for 8 years.

You can read more about it here: https://www.functionalmovement.com/system/fms

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone!

Ahhh, SoCal, sounds like you're having a lot of fun.

Scheherezade, glad you enjoyed the trip.

I'm still busy and not training much. I just returned from the 3rd weekend trip in three weeks--first was LP 70.3, the second was to England, and this third one was to Durham, NC. I'm finally home for more than a day or two. Took my bike out for the first time in two weeks and had an easy ride. My ankle has been hurting after a spill I took on a hike in England. I think it's officially a strain, so I'm not going to push it.

M: bike
T: strength and cross training cardio
W: master's swim team yay!
Th: bike!
F: swimming and strength
S: long bike!

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Monday Ladies!

Thanks for getting us started Dr. TC. I hope you had a good week.

GN- what a whirlwind month for you! I hope you have time to take it easy and rest up that ankle.

Sher- Re-entry into the real world always sucks. But hooray for long term FPT gains!

SoCal- I think endurance athletes very often overlook the fact that muscle imbalances get magnified sooo much because of the constant repetitive motions. Good on you for getting your FMS done!

Yesterday was THE DAY OF THE CENTURY. It was an excruciatingly long week and weekend. I am wiped out. But what a rewarding experience. Some of my cycling club friends were sad when they learned I wouldn't get to ride, but I told them it was like I rode with everyone out there with everything that I was able to do yesterday. Our volunteers were spectacular, which helped tremendously.

Anyhoo. This week's goal: IRONMAN MARYLAND

M- 1200yd swim and motion lab study at NIH
Tu- 31min run with intervals and vertigo PT
W- 30min ride
Th- rest! Travel to Cambridge and athlete check-in
F- Team shakeout!
Sa- WHAT DO WE SAY TO THE GOD OF DNF? NOT TODAY.
Su- Hobble.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
Su- Hobble.

YESSS!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, everyone!

Scheherazade, it was so fun following your vacation. It looked like you had some amazing rides, non-ride fun, and FOOD. I LIVE for vacation food.
SoCal, you too, sounds like you had an awesome time post-race. I hope you are still riding high. That FMS screen sounds like something I should look into.
GiantNewb, glad you are home and taking some time for yourself.
Dr_C, sounds like the century was a hit! Even if you didn't get to ride, how fun to be involved with something like that.
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
Su- Hobble.
Amazing!!! I need this on a t-shirt, lol.

Last week was OK. Thankfully the knee pain and inflammation calmed down so I think I must have just pushed too hard on the bike last Saturday. Which is kind of worrisome, because it was for a 2+-hour ride that was not too hilly and I wasn't working that hard, so I'm not sure how that bodes for future long rides. I don't know what else to do except keep working and strengthening. I was pretty much back to normal later in the week and managed a decent Fast Friday run and a "long" run of 6 miles on Sunday, both without knee pain. I forgot how hard running is -- I was huffing and puffing both times. It probably didn't help that it was hot and/or humid both days, either! But I am making progress, and I am happy with that.

I have a super busy couple of days coming up so I'm trying to stay focused and not take on too much this week. I did a weights video yesterday for the first time in a while and am feeling it today. I'll be thrilled if I can do a couple of easy runs and trainer rides among all the extra work stuff. Once I get through this week my sister will be in town for a few days next week and then my boss is on vacation, which is almost like being on vacation yourself. =) So I am looking forward to these next few weeks.

I hope you all are having a wonderful week so far!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a great race!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [GiantNewb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This week - keep the running mileage as low as I can and keep my head happy. Swim more :-)
my dad and brother get here Thursday afternoon/late night respectively and I'm so excited.

Eh... 6 runs (42.5 miles total), 5 swims (4500 yds total), 1 indoor rock climbing session, 1 full day off

I had a good time with my family :-)
I had a couple rough days last week and yesterday with using the unhealthy coping skills so my goal today, and for the rest of the week, is to be less lame and be my healthy self instead. I am totally capable of this; I had over a month of good days in a row. And today is halfway done :-)

goals are like last week - keep the running down, do my PT exercises, ssswwwwiiiimmm

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, ladies.

Welcome home, travelers! I also enjoyed living vicariously through everyone else's vacation pictures.

Dr C - congrats on a successful century, and have a great race at IMMD!
Dr TC - I'm glad you enjoyed your family! One "whatever" at a time... Heaven knows sometimes that's weeks and sometimes it's minutes. Sending you "be your healthy self" vibes.
Midtown - I am excited for your boss to go on vacation for you!! Hopefully this week won't be too stressful and you can get to the fun stuff quickly.

Between work and nonprofit management stuff and school, I'm a bit swamped. I had a panic last week when I got an email from my program adviser that basically said "if you don't get your shit together, we're going to administratively fail you for the semester." So I completed an entire Excel course in 36 hours, and now need to do something similar with a Business Ethics course to get back on track.

I did pick up my new mountain bike on Thursday and have been joyfully giving myself new bumps, bruises, and scrapes ever since. Likewise, I did manage to find time to go for a couple of short rides on the loaner 'cross/gravel/adventure bike, which were fun. I have a half marathon in two weeks for which I will be woefully undertrained, but that's OK. Ain't no shame in walking, and there's a marathon out at the same time so there will still be both plenty of people out on course and food left at the finish line.

Have a great week, all!
Last edited by: UK2ME: Sep 24, 19 13:58
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Dr TC - I'm glad you enjoyed your family! One "whatever" at a time... Heaven knows sometimes that's weeks and sometimes it's minutes. Sending you "be your healthy self" vibes.

Thanks. I got through yesterday :-) I'm a bit anxious today and the one "whatever" at a time is a helpful thing to remember. I am going to be kind to myself today and take the time I need for self-care. One win today was a shorter run and a swim (3.5 mi run, 1325 yd swim).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Thanks. I got through yesterday :-) I'm a bit anxious today and the one "whatever" at a time is a helpful thing to remember. I am going to be kind to myself today and take the time I need for self-care. One win today was a shorter run and a swim (3.5 mi run, 1325 yd swim).

Happy Next Day! Hope you're still being kind to yourself and taking time for you today, too. :o)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Sept. 23 Edition [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am doing my very best. I got through yesterday :-) the anxiety decreases a bit as the days accumulate. Thanks for the reply. DAY 3 here we are. I ran 4.5 miles and swam 775 yds this AM and did my PT stuff.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad it's decreasing, TC. Thinking of you over here.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply