Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How are you and how was your week? Sept. 16 Edition
Quote | Reply
spill!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Sept. 16 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy Monday Ladies!

Thanks for getting us started, Dr. TC. Here's to streaking!

Last week tried to eat me alive. 8 meetings in 4 states in 6 days. Plus the last week of monster training for IMMD. Sleep? Food? Hydration? All fictitious characters in this strange chapter of my novel called Life. But! I managed to survive. And actually kind of thrive. Until the meltdowns hit around Friday at noontime. I have not had a howling dumbass cry like that in a while. So I did it again Saturday. And Sunday, in the grocery store. I'm freaking awesome.

This week's focus: IS IT THE WEEK OF THE CENTURY. It is also THE WEEK TO TAKE CARE OF MYSELF

Monday- rest (THANK F*&K)
Tuesday- 45min ride w/intervals
Wednesday- 2300yd swim
Thursday- 43min run w/intervals
Friday- 3000yd swim
Sa- 2hr ride and 20min run brick, also the beginning of the WEEKEND OF THE CENTURY
Su- CENTURY. I'll be busy coordinating all of our rest stops and campus activities from the command center from 5am-6pm.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Sept. 16 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started Dr. Tigerchik.

My goals last week were to:
Quote:
drink wine, eat well, and lazily swim in the Mediterranean.

I nailed it. I had a fantastic vacation, ate well, drank even better, enjoyed a bunch relaxing open water swimming, ran 20 miles (mostly chill trail but a few fast Ks along the Seine), and then eased myself back into American life by lazily riding my bike for a croissant yesterday :)

This will be another chill week -- I'll bike, I'll run, I'll swim, I'll yoga but all by feel and all pretty relaxed.

Take care of yourself, Dr_Cupcake -- prioritize your sleep and recovery. Fingers crossed things feel a little easier soon.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr TC - Thanks for getting us going. I hope you're still doing great!
Dr Cupcake - I hope the century is a roaring success. Don't forget to make some "ARGH!" time for yourself during the week!
SoCal - you have the right idea about vacations - although you've done more on vaca than I do in a normal week, but hey.... that's why you were in Nice and I was not!

Had a mixed bag of a week. Finally felt so off that combined with the symptoms I've been ignoring (peeing a lot, thirsty a lot, feeling like crap a lot) I finally sucked it up and got back to testing my blood sugars. Sure enough, they're running much higher than they should be, given that I'm taking all my meds the way I should be. Poop. Called the endo and got a prescription for Lantus, which made me pretty mad at the universe in general. I tend to gain weight like crazy on insulin, and I worked pretty hard to find a combination of meds to treat the diabetes that worked fine right up until it didn't. That then became a giant insurance cluster, which I was finally able to get resolved and the script filled yesterday.

I did take my run stuff to work one day and had a great run, so I should make that a thing I do more often. Picked up my loaner cx/gravel/winter bike and promised I would take her on adventures, so I'm exploring new things I can do for the 'gram! I think I might have accidentally promised someone I would actually do a cyclocross race this year. Whoops.

My anniversary aquabike (Lawd bless my husband) went OK from an execution standpoint except I put my timing chip over my wetsuit like they insisted we had to, took it off in T1, and forgot to put it back on. Timing all screwed up and they added an extra 20% to my actual time (which bumped me back 25% in the field), but it was a nice race, I got to be a swim angel for a newbie, and after I got over being pissed about the whole timing thing, it was a lovely day. Local race to end the season, lovely location, lovely course, lovely medal, lovely people. Just lovely!

Plan for this week is to get in a couple of weeknight runs and a long run. Also hoping that my mountain bike will get built and I can get out on some trails at the weekend. Back to the counting everything that goes in my piehole and minimising carbs again, which I have to remind myself is really for my own good. Test all the blood, all the time - aiming for a fasting and at least one postprandial every day.

Have a good week, everyone.
:o)
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Sept. 16 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you always make me laugh - tears are healing things! I'm sure the century will go super duper well. Take care.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Sept. 16 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm okay. My hip/glute thing is slowly getting better, but I've been running less - and certainly slower - than I'd like. That's fine; I am grateful to be able to run even if it's just a bit. I had a rough, maladaptive coping mechanism day last Wed. but am back on track so I'm at like 37/38 which is a decent score :-)

Last week I swam 5.6k, rode 46.5 miles, and ran 38 ish miles. I also did a good job with all my PT stuff. The week before I forgot to post, but was something like 9.6k swim, 98 mi bike (2 rides), 24 mi run.

This week - keep the running mileage as low as I can and keep my head happy. Swim more :-)
my dad and brother get here Thursday afternoon/late night respectively and I'm so excited.

Hope everyone is well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did something to my knee (the replaced one). Freaked me out since it hurt a lot and felt exactly like it felt post-surgery. Dr. ordered x-rays - looked great. He thinks it's quad/ITB related so anti-inflamms x 30 days and physical therapy x 6 weeks. Biggest bummer is that I will miss the gravel bike camp/50 mile race that I was supposed to leave for tomorrow. (Doc's response: ABSOLUTELY NOT)

:-(

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How are you and how was your week? Sept. 16 Edition [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry you can't race :-(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone! I hope you are having a great week.

Dr_C, what a week!!! I don't think anyone would blame you for losing it a little bit after all that. Hopefully this week is off to a better start for self-care and I hope that century is amazing!
SoCal, I was definitely jealous of your week. Lazy riding, relaxing swimming, and food food food sounds like the perfect vacation.
UK2ME, sorry to hear about the blood sugar issues and the insurance cluster. Ugh! Bummer about the race timing situation, but it sounds like it was otherwise a great time.
Dr. T, I'm glad to hear your hip/glute is getting better even if at a glacial pace. "Keep my head happy," I like that.
ironclm, I'm sorry to hear about your knee and that you have to miss your event. =( Please take care of yourself so you can heal.

Last week started out well alternating runs and trainer rides, and then ended up in the toilet. My Saturday cycling spot is only closed to traffic for a few more Saturdays, and I have to work one of them, so I wanted to be sure to get out there last week. I got in a nice couple of hours, I was feeling good, the weather was gorgeous... and then later that day my knee (the one with the chondral fissure) started to hurt. I was having trouble walking Sunday and it was mostly better Monday but I rested it another day anyway. I did a very easy trainer ride yesterday and it was mostly OK. I'm glad it seems to be only a temporary inflammation thing, but does that mean I won't be able to ride that long ever again without pain? I'm wondering if I don't need to look into the chicken cartilage shots my orthopedist brought up last time, but how long do those last? And why did the bike ride and not a run cause the pain and inflammation? I was so discouraged I laid in bed with the dogs after work Monday and ate a big bag of potato chips, lol.

Even though the week ended on a down note I still did a "long" run of 5.5 miles on Monday, I did something resembling speed work Friday, and I did have an amazing ride Saturday before the pain kicked in. Plus I got a lot done around the house (and dyed my hair a fun dark purple) on Sunday so it was not a total loss. I'm going to try an easy run after work today, so here's hoping the knee cooperates.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Hi Hi everyone!!!!

You are all awesome. Cupcake, great job getting through the monster IMMD block!!! Take care.

SoCal, way to rock recovery!!!

UK--so sorry about the medicine. I really feel for folks dealing with diabetes. The anniversary tri sounds lovely--sorry about the timing!

TC-37/38 is great! Enjoy the not running

ironclm--blessings on that knee!

I haven't worked out at all since my race. I've been REALLY busy--two days after my race I took a redeye to England, where I presented my research the morning of my arrival and then I spent 5 days working out there. I did manage a really gorgeous hike in the Peak District. I've returned now, but I'm not on top of my work shit at all. So. Many. Emails. And I'm leaving again early tomorrow morning.

I return from all the travels next week and hope to: 1) join the local masters swim team and do two workouts with them; 2) yoga at least once; 3) strength train at least once. It might be hard as my parents will be in town, but I'm going to try to prioritize it more. The working out is what keeps me sane for the rest of the stuff.

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply