Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Handlebar article [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I was thinking about this a bit more regarding drop bars specifically.

I really liked ergo grip bars like this, and still use them on my bikes. But in spite of the superior comfort in the drops, they seem to have fallen out of favor in the recent past. Any thoughts as to why? Was it aesthetics?

Then, there are bars in the market like this (cinelli neo morphe). Seems to check all the boxes, it's ergonomic, made of carbon composite, and not crazy super expensive. But still it is not a very popular bar, at least as far as I can tell. Any thoughts as to why?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: The Handlebar article [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
So I was thinking about this a bit more regarding drop bars specifically.

I really liked ergo grip bars like this, and still use them on my bikes. But in spite of the superior comfort in the drops, they seem to have fallen out of favor in the recent past. Any thoughts as to why? Was it aesthetics?

Then, there are bars in the market like this (cinelli neo morphe). Seems to check all the boxes, it's ergonomic, made of carbon composite, and not crazy super expensive. But still it is not a very popular bar, at least as far as I can tell. Any thoughts as to why?

i don't know. but i'll go one further. i like that bend. but i would also like the bars to bend inward, right after leaving the hoods (to down toward the drops). this is so they can bend outward, slant outward, and end up at the same place just before they reach the final bend. sort of like touring or gravel bars, that bend out, but i don't want them to bend out from neutral. i want them to bend out after first bending in, and then once the bars are back at their original width i want them to bend again, so that the final terminus of the bar, the last few cms, the bar is again moving fore/aft.

which is kind of like what the bar is doing that james huang is riding. just, that bar does that on the tops. starts and ends in the traditional place, but that jig gives you the angle you want. more ergonomic.

and, i want the whole damned thing to be a larger diameter. i put 2 rolls of tape on my road bars because they're not big enough around.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've decided what I want in drop bars.

1) I want the tops to have a ~10° bend backwards, so that when I'm (climbing) on the tops my wrists are naturally positioned and my elbows aren't sticking out. This might require a much longer stem to compensate, but so be it.

2) ergonomic bullhorn grips and levers*, combined with a Morf-tech style system that raises and lowers the same bullhorns to "hoods" or "drops" position.

* The bullhorns would also kick up at the front like a ski bend bar, and have dished cutouts in the upper corners of the bar to rest my forearms on, [url=https://tunedintocycling.files.wordpress.com/...forearms-on-bars.jpg]thusly[/url]
Quote Reply
Re: The Handlebar article [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just going to leave this here:

Quote Reply
Re: The Handlebar article [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His socks are too high.

But those bars are interesting. I have Scott 100 mile bars on my tribike which are 25cm wide at the bulge where I hold it sitting upright for climbing/sprinting and it's just enough width.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Last edited by: DrTriKat: Sep 15, 19 8:21
Quote Reply
Re: The Handlebar article [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. Fixing the shifters would be good for only a handful of people. Whenever I get new bars the first few rides are without tape so I can get the hoods exactly right.

The reason road bars have more or less stayed the same is that they just work.

Heath,

It's one of the reasons why, I'm reluctant to go to one of these all-in-one bar-stem systems. I agree they look great - super sleek and stealthy - but I'm a bit like you, in that I fiddle around a bit to find just the right spot for the shift/brake mounts and the tilt angle of the road bar itself.

My current road bars are the 3T Superergo Pro Alloy model. Been riding these for years! Like the overall shape and feel in all the key road bike riding positions - on the hoods, on the tops, and in the drops.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am thinking that the neo bar was not popular because it looks ugly. Aesthetics is important for us amateurs.
Quote Reply

Prev Next