Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got mine here:

Main Street Music
4.6 (96) · $$ · Record store
Philadelphia, PA · (215) 487-7732
Open â‹… Closes 7PM
Store with new & used CDs, vinyl & DVDs

They had a stack of them when I went to pick up mine.

If you call, find out they have it, and they won't ship it to you, let me know; I'll go pick it up and ship it to you.

[/url]

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
Not specifically replying to you, just to thread in general...has there been any chatter about further supply of the CD? I'm absolutely not willing to pay scalper prices (currently ~$240 from amazon resellers).

You have until midnight tonight.

https://store.toolband.com/...d-edition-cd-package
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
I got mine here:

Main Street Music
4.6 (96) · $$ · Record store
Philadelphia, PA · (215) 487-7732
Open â‹… Closes 7PM
Store with new & used CDs, vinyl & DVDs

They had a stack of them when I went to pick up mine.

If you call, find out they have it, and they won't ship it to you, let me know; I'll go pick it up and ship it to you.

[/url]

Thank you so much for the offer to help! I was just about to ring them and then I saw the next reply to the thread...

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
renorider wrote:
Not specifically replying to you, just to thread in general...has there been any chatter about further supply of the CD? I'm absolutely not willing to pay scalper prices (currently ~$240 from amazon resellers).

Done. Thanks for that. Wouldn't have noticed that otherwise.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
renorider wrote:

Done. Thanks for that. Wouldn't have noticed that otherwise.

Glad you got in on it.

I sent a friend who missed out on the initial release to Main Street today after seeing Tsunami's post.. they no longer have any and told him that he'd be extremely lucky to find it anywhere at this point (at non-crazy prices, anyway).

Less than an hour later, Tool announced this sale on social media.
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
After posting my question, I googled the answer. Thanks for confirmation. I was at the Hershey show, too.

I also perused ticket prices for both AC and Philly. Less expensive than VIP, all the way up to same as VIP (lower level in Wells Fargo) By the time I add in parking, TicketMaster fees and that I don't know I'll make it to another Tool concert after this, I have come to terms with the VIP price. That said, I understand the bait-and-switch frustration expressed by angry fans on social media. I definitely felt a taken when I first read your earlier message this morning.

Managed to score tickets for AC, one of my most frustrating ticket buying experiences ever. Fuck Ticketmaster. I'd find 3 seats together, then they'd disappear as soon as I put them in my cart. The seats I ended up with - 1st level, a few sections back from the stage - were the same price as ones right up front on the floor.

My buddy ended up having to get our Philly ones through StubHub. He won't tell me how much he paid over face because he feels he should eat the markup as he was late getting on the Ticketmaster site at 10am.
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you got through. It's a shame how frustrating it is. I was surprised to read last night on the Wells Fargo ticket link, all the notes about ticket limit, can't get around it by buying via multiple browser sessions, will check for duplicate orders before distributing the tickets, etc. Hopefully it results in more people overall paying less?

When my friend asks me what he owes me for the ticket, I plan to respond with What ever you think is fair. Had I asked ahead of time I doubt he'd have agreed to the VIP price. In the end I will enjoy seeing the show with a friend who loves the band too, vs going alone.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Fuck Ticketmaster.

I don't use Ticketbastard frequently at all so I'm unfamiliar with its intricacies. I looked at tickets for the Monday, October 21 show in LA, but all that were shown to me at about 10:00:30 am and all subsequent reloads and reentries are tickets noted as resale with the minimum price being $350 a pop. Fuck that. I'll buy some bottles of Caduceus wine instead.

Did Ticketbastard shunt me into the resale marketplace or did the show really sell out that fast?

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Fuck Ticketmaster.

I don't use Ticketbastard frequently at all so I'm unfamiliar with its intricacies. I looked at tickets for the Monday, October 21 show in LA, but all that were shown to me at about 10:00:30 am and all subsequent reloads and reentries are tickets noted as resale with the minimum price being $350 a pop. Fuck that. I'll buy some bottles of Caduceus wine instead.

Did Ticketbastard shunt me into the resale marketplace or did the show really sell out that fast?

I was signed in on their site 15 minutes early, and a few minutes before 10:00 the screen popped up a "Click here to join the waiting room" message. Did that, and just after 10:00 I got a different screen showing I was about 2,000th in line. Yay. That took about 5-6 minutes to godwindle down to 1st, then the seat map appeared, and after several rounds of the process I mentioned above (including being redirected to a page to prove I wasn't a bot, presumably because I'd tried to buy tickets so many times) I managed to snag seats at around 10:20.

Granted, that was Atlantic City so it probably didn't sell as fast as LA.
Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: Sep 6, 19 12:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Crank wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Fuck Ticketmaster.

I was signed in on their site 15 minutes early, and a few minutes before 10:00 the screen popped up a "Click here to join the waiting room" message. Did that, and just after 10:00 I got a different screen showing I was about 2,000th in line. Yay. That took about 5-6 minutes to godwindle down to 1st, then the seat map appeared, and after several rounds of the process I mentioned above (including being redirected to a page to prove I wasn't a bot, presumably because I'd tried to buy tickets so many times) I managed to snag seats at around 10:20.

Granted, that was Atlantic City so it probably didn't sell as fast as LA.

Thanks. The waiting room and being 2,000th is what I remembered from the last time I used Ticketbastard (though I can't recall which show it was for). This was a weird experience that makes me think there was a technical snafu. I entered Ticketbastard normally, searched for "Tool," saw the list of shows (all without reference to an aftermarket marketplace), then when I chose "my" show all I was presented with were aftermarket tickets literally 30 seconds after the tickets went on sale. Maybe the shows sold out during the presale?

Oh well. I'm about 120 miles south of Staples Center so I didn't really want to go up there anyway. I'll catch them the next time they tour.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Tsunami wrote:
After posting my question, I googled the answer. Thanks for confirmation. I was at the Hershey show, too.

I also perused ticket prices for both AC and Philly. Less expensive than VIP, all the way up to same as VIP (lower level in Wells Fargo) By the time I add in parking, TicketMaster fees and that I don't know I'll make it to another Tool concert after this, I have come to terms with the VIP price. That said, I understand the bait-and-switch frustration expressed by angry fans on social media. I definitely felt a taken when I first read your earlier message this morning.

Managed to score tickets for AC, one of my most frustrating ticket buying experiences ever. Fuck Ticketmaster. I'd find 3 seats together, then they'd disappear as soon as I put them in my cart. The seats I ended up with - 1st level, a few sections back from the stage - were the same price as ones right up front on the floor.

My buddy ended up having to get our Philly ones through StubHub. He won't tell me how much he paid over face because he feels he should eat the markup as he was late getting on the Ticketmaster site at 10am.

Out of curiosity, I just looked at the AC tickets (11:30am PDT). There are still a lot available even at under $100 per ticket.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah lots of seats higher up and/or further back, or random singles scattered throughout.

Boardwalk Hall has a cool little feature on its website that lets you see what your view of the stage will be - this is from the section I got:

Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Best Tool album?

Lateralus is it in my opinion.

Predictably Fear Inoculum has crept up to the number 1 spot for me.

Also I'm completely reversing my opinion on "Invincible". Really digging that track now (especially the last 5 minutes or so).

My track ranking after a week or so of pretty consistent listening:

Culling Voices
7empest
Invincible
Pneuma
Fear Inoculum

The rest I have not given a ton of time to yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
fulla wrote:
Best Tool album?

Also I'm completely reversing my opinion on "Invincible". Really digging that track now (especially the last 5 minutes or so).

Culling Voices
7empest
Invincible
Pneuma
Fear Inoculum

After dozens of repeated listens, my order is:

Pneuma (what a bass line, and the explosion around 9:20)
Invincible (yes - LOVE the last 5 minutes)
Culling Voices
Descending
7empest (I really dislike the first few minutes of this song - sounds like any number of lame metal bands I can hear on my local FM rock station)
Fear Inoculum

Let's be honest - that is the album. 6 monster tracks. The filler tracks and the drum solo add nothing and are pretty awful - they don't even flow into or out of the bookend tracks. Pretty disappointed in that aspect of the album.

Freedom just around the corner for you. But with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [jepvb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jepvb wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
fulla wrote:
Best Tool album?

Culling Voices
7empest
Invincible
Pneuma
Fear Inoculum

Culling Voices
Descending
7empest (I really dislike the first few minutes of this song - sounds like any number of lame metal bands I can hear on my local FM rock station)
Fear Inoculum

Let's be honest - that is the album. 6 monster tracks. The filler tracks and the drum solo add nothing and are pretty awful - they don't even flow into or out of the bookend tracks. Pretty disappointed in that aspect of the album.

Agreed - IMO they have zero bearing or relation to the actual songs on the album. At least previous albums' fillers (some, anyway) added something. I wouldn't miss Chocolate Chip Trip if they left that off, either.

My order right now:
Invincible
Pneuma
Descending
Culling Voices
Fear Inoculum
7empest
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
jepvb wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
fulla wrote:
Best Tool album?

Culling Voices
7empest
Invincible
Pneuma
Fear Inoculum

Culling Voices
Descending
Fear Inoculum

Agreed - IMO they have zero bearing or relation to the actual songs on the album. At least previous albums' fillers (some, anyway) added something. I wouldn't miss Chocolate Chip Trip if they left that off, either.

My order right now:
Invincible
Pneuma
Descending
Culling Voices
Fear Inoculum
7empest

Seems 7empest has really shot down the list for a number of folks. I'm still digging it but notice that after the first 5 minutes it gets kinda meh...also 15 minutes of it is about 5 minutes too long in my opinion.

But that first 5 minutes is pretty kick ass. Maintains a higher rank on my list due to it being the closest thing to "angry Maynard" on the album but it's not getting nearly as much playtime as it did a week ago.

Intentionally listened to Chocolate Chip Trip on my way to lunch today...I just don't get it to be honest. Must be DC playing with some interesting time signatures and sounds/frequencies that I'm sure culminate in a formula that explains the universe...unfortunately I'm not sharp enough to unravel it so it just sounds like a bunch of random noise with drums going on.

Threw on a few Beastie Boys records yesterday and came to the realization that THAT'S how you do interludes/instrumentals. These Tool interludes just seem like a waste of time to me.

..but watch in a few weeks one of them will somehow be my #1 track.
Last edited by: Skipjack: Sep 9, 19 13:14
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:

Intentionally listened to Chocolate Chip Trip on my way to lunch today...I just don't get it to be honest. Must be DC playing with some interesting time signatures and sounds/frequencies that I'm sure culminate in a formula that explains the universe...unfortunately I'm not sharp enough to unravel it so it just sounds like a bunch of random noise with drums going on.

Same here. When we saw them in Hershey in 2017, DC did what seems to be a precursor to CCT and even then there were lots of people looking at each other with "WTF" looks during the "synth/loops" part of it. The drum solo part was cool live though. And then.. Eulogy kicked in for the first time since 2001 and restored order.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
WelshinPhilly wrote:
jepvb wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
fulla wrote:
Best Tool album?

Culling Voices
7empest
Invincible
Pneuma
Fear Inoculum

Culling Voices
Descending
Fear Inoculum

My order right now:
Invincible
Pneuma
Descending
Culling Voices
Fear Inoculum
7empest

Seems 7empest has really shot down the list for a number of folks. I'm still digging it but notice that after the first 5 minutes it gets kinda meh...also 15 minutes of it is about 5 minutes too long in my opinion.

But that first 5 minutes is pretty kick ass. Maintains a higher rank on my list due to it being the closest thing to "angry Maynard" on the album but it's not getting nearly as much playtime as it did a week ago.

Threw on a few Beastie Boys records yesterday and came to the realization that THAT'S how you do interludes/instrumentals. These Tool interludes just seem like a waste of time to me.

..but watch in a few weeks one of them will somehow be my #1 track.

Descending is my favorite right now. I played it loudly in the truck for my seven-year old daughter on Saturday afternoon and told her that I was playing it for her because I thought she'd like it. At the big buildup and crescendo at about 10:45, she said "I actually like it so much my eyes are watering." ;-)

7empest is my second favorite, I think.

As far as the interludes go, I like them, especially Chocolate Chip Trip. They (and especially Chocolate Chip Trip) are pretty musically indulgent so I wonder if they're a farewell from Carey (who I think does those electronics, or perhaps just most of them) because this is probably the last Tool record.

ETA: As I drove my daughter to school this morning, she asked, "Daddy, can we listen to Tool?" Proud daddy moment.

War is god
Last edited by: Crank: Sep 12, 19 14:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ETA: As I drove my daughter to school this morning, she asked, "Daddy, can we listen to Tool?" Proud daddy moment.

May I be the first to nominate you for father of the year?

My son (7) has been listening every morning for the past week on the way to school since it's been a permanent resident in the CD player and telling me he likes it...it's only a 8 minute drive though (we moved to a small town) so he might just be placating me since it's clear I dig it so much. Either way I'm going to take credit for his future predictable interests in weird time signatures and awesome prog rock. Now that I think about it he was not even a thing when 10k days came out...holy shit I'm getting old....

I have no doubt I'll be a fan of the instrumentals in the near future...will be reporting back.

EDIT: I may be the LR worst Tool fan as I somehow kept skipping over "Descending". Somehow kept on skipping past it and not paying attention to the final version after hearing so many various versions of it over the past few years (and actually LIVE at The Gorge in 17). Going to correct that error soon.
Last edited by: Skipjack: Sep 12, 19 17:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been wanting to weigh in, having rolled through the prior two studio albums as well to reconfim my thinking.

My 1st listening to Lateralus when it came out was, meh. Years later, I have no idea wtf led to that assessment, though I know I was bothered by lyrics I couldn't hear. Maynard is turned down a little and I miss out. This is what I distinctly recall irritated me about 10,000 Days, which seemed like an album I could only appreciate alone b/c the lyrics are so hard to hear.

Enter Fear i.can't.spell.it.yet. I was mostly under-whelmed. Don't get me wrong, excited AF to have new Tool, just missing the more aggressive lyrics. Initial impression, 7empest was my favorite and the other songs seemed soft. But really, lyrics aside, none of the music is easy listening. Guess I'm just impatient.

This week I can confirm, Culling Voices is definitely my favorite on this one. But I have a question!

What is all this "filler" to which y'all refer? I have promised myself to never listen to Chocolate Chip Trip again, after giving it several tries in the house and in the car. But that is the only one on my CD, which has just 7 tracks. MY better half pulled the song list up on the google, and it seems there are several other tracks???

I haven't downloaded my digital content yet. So maybe I get it then. But you folks have those other tracks on your cd's?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
I've been wanting to weigh in, having rolled through the prior two studio albums as well to reconfim my thinking.

My 1st listening to Lateralus when it came out was, meh. Years later, I have no idea wtf led to that assessment, though I know I was bothered by lyrics I couldn't hear. Maynard is turned down a little and I miss out. This is what I distinctly recall irritated me about 10,000 Days, which seemed like an album I could only appreciate alone b/c the lyrics are so hard to hear.

Enter Fear i.can't.spell.it.yet. I was mostly under-whelmed. Don't get me wrong, excited AF to have new Tool, just missing the more aggressive lyrics. Initial impression, 7empest was my favorite and the other songs seemed soft. But really, lyrics aside, none of the music is easy listening. Guess I'm just impatient.

This week I can confirm, Culling Voices is definitely my favorite on this one. But I have a question!

What is all this "filler" to which y'all refer? I have promised myself to never listen to Chocolate Chip Trip again, after giving it several tries in the house and in the car. But that is the only one on my CD, which has just 7 tracks. MY better half pulled the song list up on the google, and it seems there are several other tracks???

I haven't downloaded my digital content yet. So maybe I get it then. But you folks have those other tracks on your cd's?

I have done that on every....single......Tool......album. I swear I won't but I do. I always go into the first listen thinking this is going to be a mind blowing new experience but it isn't, it is Tool. Once I realize it is just more of the same fantastic sound, I am able to just sit back and listen to it.
I can't get enough of this album. Can't wait for the concert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
But I have a question!

I listen through Spotify and there are 10 tracks. You're likely missing "Litanie contre la Peur," "Legion Inoculant," and "Mockingbeast."

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, no filler tracks on the CD. They are just on the digital download which is a good thing since they would otherwise just be a distraction IMO.

I'm still pretty high on this album. Each listen I enjoy it more than the last (though I did take a few days off of it). The musicianship, again my opinion, of this album is far superb to the past ones. Having said that the polish/mix put on the recording is pretty impressive and I have no doubt that is a big part of what I am hearing.

One thing that I do miss compared to past albums is the very linear/clear buildup and crescendo (classic prog rock shit) but what I'm starting to really appreciate about this one is that there seem to be several buildups/crescendo's within most of the tracks where the last is not as huge but is still slightly bigger than the previous ones within the same song...not sure if that makes sense or not.

Also catching a lot of really interesting double (maybe triple?) tracking of Maynard's voice throughout. Really noticeable in 7empest in the "we" parts (I think that one has to be triple tracked). No doubt there are a lot more neat tricks on this album still yet to be discovered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
Tsunami wrote:
But I have a question!

I listen through Spotify and there are 10 tracks. You're likely missing "Litanie contre la Peur," "Legion Inoculant," and "Mockingbeast."

CD only has enough capacity for 79 minutes, so they only included the 7 actual songs (including CCT, which I'm guessing was originally intended as a filler but they were able to slot it into the CD format). So, they left the 3 other fillers/interludes off.

Streaming/digital has the 3 extra tracks so you'll get those when you download it (you're not missing much).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
Nope, no filler tracks on the CD. They are just on the digital download which is a good thing since they would otherwise just be a distraction IMO.

I'm still pretty high on this album. Each listen I enjoy it more than the last (though I did take a few days off of it). The musicianship, again my opinion, of this album is far superb to the past ones. Having said that the polish/mix put on the recording is pretty impressive and I have no doubt that is a big part of what I am hearing.

One thing that I do miss compared to past albums is the very linear/clear buildup and crescendo (classic prog rock shit) but what I'm starting to really appreciate about this one is that there seem to be several buildups/crescendo's within most of the tracks where the last is not as huge but is still slightly bigger than the previous ones within the same song...not sure if that makes sense or not.

Also catching a lot of really interesting double (maybe triple?) tracking of Maynard's voice throughout. Really noticeable in 7empest in the "we" parts (I think that one has to be triple tracked). No doubt there are a lot more neat tricks on this album still yet to be discovered.

Yeah I follow, the multiple crescendo's is something I've also enjoyed about this album. I've picked up on some layers of lyrics too. I think headphones could be cool for listening. I still have an obnoxious pair of giant Princess Leia type oness, but I don't have anything to plug them into! My hooked up home CD player at the moment is actually the blue ray player.

OH, one more point. Several posts back someone mentioned they wish Maynard would let it out in one song, believe it was Culling Voices. And I wondered... Push It was re-done to be more quiet, introspective seeming. I wonder if when performed live, Culling might go the other way?

Last edited by: Tsunami: Sep 19, 19 13:10
Quote Reply

Prev Next