Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anyone see my crash on the descent in Nice?
Quote | Reply
On the descent, coming into Carros Village, I had just bunny-hopped the speed bump and slowed down to 29.3 mph coming into the hairpin that's in the middle of the village when someone slammed into me from behind with tremendous force. We both hit the deck. I was laying on my back screaming "F**K" over and over again. I could not really move, or even crawl off the road. The guy who hit me came over and repeated twice something like "You moved over" and then he got on his bike and continued the race.

Im just back from the hospital. I can't walk (or even really sit) and am in extreme pain in my ribs and my hip/pelvis, but apparently I'm in pretty good shape, considering. May be a minor pelvis fracture that often does not turn up in imaging, but nothing to do about that anyway. Ribs are excruciating.

Would love to hear about it from someone who witnessed it, if any of those people see this.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone see my crash on the descent in Nice? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man, I didn’t watch any of the race but want to wish you a speedy recovery.

Most importantly, how’s your bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man sounds awful sorry to hear. I was in first group off so only was 1 crash and it was pretty bad. Lots of ambulances headed up when I was going down. Over dinner we had a friend that saw a guy go right over one of the guard rails (if you can call them that) and down the cliff bike and all.

Speedy recovery.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about this, heal quickly. I can’t imagine anyone trying to pass on a hairpin turn (even if you did move over a little).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shit, I wish you a speedy recovery Ed, sounds like a shocker. What a prick that guy was to carry on down the road.

Only suggestion I have; Strava flyby to see who was riding with you and then look through their ride charts for anybody whose speed dropped to zero in that spot.

Good luck.

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedy recovery man, that’s horrible!

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shit, sorry to hear about that Ed. Crappy sportsmanship there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen zero of the coverage except results online. Best wishes in recovery.
To that point, despite it being WC 70.3, it would seem if he was okay enough to yell at you that he would first help you off the road and get you to safety--it's the HUMAN thing to do.

Did someone help you out or did you roll/crawl to the side and have someone call for help? That guy sounds like a real weenie smoker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan that sucks. What a dick to throw blame then ride off without seeing if you were ok. I’ll second what was mentioned above to try the Strava flyby to ID who it could be.

Wishing you a full recovery

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow.
Hope you heal quick and are back to 100% soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suuuucky! Wish you well! Didn’t see your crash but did see the motorcycle tip over in a hairpin. Took it wide by the cones, oncoming traffic near and down went the bike. Didn’t look bad, but tipping one over is never good, even if at 0 mph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m so sorry to hear this Ed. I sure hope that there is some way to track down the duche that hit you. Would enjoy having him outed.

And since no one had asked yet, I guess I’ll have to do it....HOW IS THE BIKE? 😳
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone see my crash on the descent in Nice? [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
Oh man sounds awful sorry to hear. I was in first group off so only was 1 crash and it was pretty bad. Lots of ambulances headed up when I was going down. Over dinner we had a friend that saw a guy go right over one of the guard rails (if you can call them that) and down the cliff bike and all.

Speedy recovery.

Yeah, that guy fell off a 20m cliff. He was at the hospital too and supposedly in very bad shape. I only heard about him, did not see him. I heard the term 'fighting for his life'. I saw probably 12 guys in the hospital who had crashed. The waiting room was packed with women wearing Ironman shirts.

I was in the first wave too and I saw 2 crashes on the way down, one guy up high, sitting up but his face was covered in blood and I'll could see a bad gash on his temple. I saw a second guy with paramedics but could not really see anything.

I have to say, before my crash I was having a blast, but also very aware that the group racing Dynamics on that descent were VERY dangerous. Lots of people doing very aggressive and dangerous passing manuevers. Basically all out racing the descent in tight packs.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Sep 8, 19 19:27
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone see my crash on the descent in Nice? [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dbeitel wrote:
I’m so sorry to hear this Ed. I sure hope that there is some way to track down the duche that hit you. Would enjoy having him outed.

And since no one had asked yet, I guess I’ll have to do it....HOW IS THE BIKE? 😳

I can't get up to go look at it but I'm told the bars are broken.

I've tried Strava fly-by but have not been able to find him.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crap, the double whammy.....

Bars can be fixed/replaced, get healed up....

DB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Dbeitel wrote:

unleash your activity to the masses... I sure a lot of people would try
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone see my crash on the descent in Nice? [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
Dbeitel wrote:

unleash your activity to the masses... I sure a lot of people would try

Here it is

https://www.strava.com/...segments/67333975864

The last bits of movement are people moving my bike around. You have to Zoom way in and find the little hairpin in Carros and then you'll see the crash.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Sep 8, 19 20:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
On the descent, coming into Carros Village, I had just bunny-hopped the speed bump and slowed down to 29.3 mph coming into the hairpin that's in the middle of the village when someone slammed into me from behind with tremendous force. We both hit the deck. I was laying on my back screaming "F**K" over and over again. I could not really move, or even crawl off the road. The guy who hit me came over and repeated twice something like "You moved over" and then he got on his bike and continued the race.

Im just back from the hospital. I can't walk (or even really sit) and am in extreme pain in my ribs and my hip/pelvis, but apparently I'm in pretty good shape, considering. May be a minor pelvis fracture that often does not turn up in imaging, but nothing to do about that anyway. Ribs are excruciating.

Would love to hear about it from someone who witnessed it, if any of those people see this.

Hey man, when I saw this, I was really worried it was one of those crashes where you lost consciousness and have no clue until you woke up in an ambulance (as you know I can relate to that). I hope you are doing OK as can be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wave 4 here the bike the beautiful and challenging, but not suited to funnel 3.5k guys through. For a normal IM 70.3 with larger ability range distribution it might have worked. Downhill passing with guys all over the road just made it sketchy. Watching guys do stupid shit who were no where near podium contention is classic.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone see my crash on the descent in Nice? [chrsc13981] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To the OP: best wishes on your recovery, and I’m very sorry this happened.

It was striking to me that WC picked this course for a WC. This is the same company that routinely cancels or shortens swims with the slightest bit of inclement weather. Yet, with over five thousand riders, and fortunately good weather conditions, a number of major accidents was inevitable. Too many riders that spend all their time on the trainer, mixed with some serious agro types. There was some serious carnage out there.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for the self responsibility ethos. Just be consistent about it and let people swim too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your crash sounds terrible. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I was concerned about this happening to me as guys flew past me in the turns. Felt like an Amish buggy on the Autobahn with reckless Porsche drivers zipping by way to close. Never did a race that felt this dangerous.

John Hollenhorst
St Pete Beach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100% agree. After the climb and watching 50+ people pass me on the climb I realized any hope of going top 30 top 50 where done. Made the decision to stay safe and turn the race into a nice training day. I think I was lucky to start the descent with one guy who I could watch take all the corners first which was helpful; I used the entire road which made it safer (with the guy in front I could watch to see if a car was coming). Only 3 guys passed me on the way down and it was a lovely ride. I could see how easily it could become a hectic environment with more riders on the course. I don’t think it was a safe course for a world championship race, however it did break up all the drafting which is hard to do in these races and it was a spectacular view.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone see my crash on the descent in Nice? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, thankfully no head injury. My aerohead is cracked through so it did its job well. I just want a better understanding of what that guy was doing and how it happened.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone see my crash on the descent in Nice? [Hed Case] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the crash. Heal strong.

To be honest I’m not surprised there were a lot of incidents. I remember the descent from Lookout, Chattanooga in 2017; being MOP ish M50-54 I was really among 3 speeds of rider, flying past slower riders from earlier waves but with absolute guns from M25-29 from the wave behind screaming past.

Non technical, so not a huge problem on that day just a bit uncomfortable. I do remember thinking it would be carnage on a Euro switchback descent with different braking points, lines through corners etc from these mixed abilities descending due to the wave start format.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone see my crash on the descent in Nice? [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went up and rode part of the course earlier in the week but did not actually race. The bottom of the descent (the part I rode) was gnarly and it seems the top was even worse. I can't imagine what it must have been like on race day for the men.

When will Ironman get their head out of their asses and fix obvious issues like this? Make the World Championships an actual World Championship. Get rid of roll downs at qualifying races. Win your age group and get in, if not then too bad. This race should have been capped at 1k athletes. The course would have been much safer and I can guarantee there wouldnt be as many people in serious crashes like there were this weekend.
Quote Reply

Prev Next