Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [vkanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vkanders wrote:
OK, should have been more precise. It's not blue BECAUSE it's supercritical, it's blue because of the Cherenkov effect, which exists in many situations outside of a supercritical configuration.

Absolutely. I don't think we're really arguing.
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
vkanders wrote:
OK, should have been more precise. It's not blue BECAUSE it's supercritical, it's blue because of the Cherenkov effect, which exists in many situations outside of a supercritical configuration.

Absolutely. I don't think we're really arguing.

We are also definitely way off topic. Anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:

My understanding is that USADA does do WTC testing, look at Dan Stubinski an amateur on here who has been tested twice.

Is there any other accredited body that does testing in the US?

Maurice

You could be right, I'm not sure. According to this ST article it's kind of both. WTC contracts w/ USADA at times, but at other times acts as its own testing authority, particularly with pros. But that was 2011 so not sure of the current state of affairs.

the last i heard, USADA was a contractor for ironman. what USADA did was perform the tests. USADA has its own DCOs around the world it uses, who are other contractors (doping control officers). USADA doesn't send someone from colorado springs to, say, nice, france, or chattanooga. it's like when jason bourne was in tangiers. the CIA didn't send a hit man to tangiers. it texted the local contract hit man in tangiers. same sort of thing. then the sample is transported by the DCO to the contracted lab.

ironman may choose to use USADA worldwide, or it might use someone else to perform this in other countries. there are other NADOs who'll do this for a price, and there are private contractors. what USADA does not do, in the U.S. at least, is results management. in other words, USADA does not contact the athlete, tell him he's popped, and then get into the process of convicting the athlete, hearings, the ban period, all of that.

in other countries ironman might do results management and it might not. i don't know. ironman might turn an adverse finding over to, say, the brazilian federation if it's a brazilian athlete. or it might not if it thinks the brazilians are going to just whitewash it.

i don't know what the current state of results management is with ironman but they clearly have handled a lot of it themselves. it creates a conflict of interest. for example, if a kona champ gets busted is that good for business? if you think it's not, then you might handle it in some way other than textbook. however, it's a fiction to think USAT, or the french or german federation, don't have a conflict. the only entities that don't have conflicts are NADOs but we saw a couple of years ago that the jamaican NADO was very conflicted. so, who is the purest? i don't know.

if you think USADA is the purest, and you give all worldwide ironman results management to USADA, okay. but what would USADA charge to accept that? i don't know. i've never gotten a straight answer from anyone on that. this economics of results management is quite opaque.

does a test carried out by USADA, but where its simply a contractor to ironman for the mechanics of sample collection, accrue to USADA's dbase? i don't know. i don't think so. but i don't know for sure. i forgot a lot of what i knew since the last time i reported on this.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
As I understand USADA from dealing with them in regards to Rugby. When they are contracted to execute the test it goes in the testing database. If they are not responsible for results management, they don't post the results for that athlete. So in the case of the UFC USADA has been contracted to run the entire program. So they handle the testings and results management.

In Rugby, you have two separate testing pathways. If the testing is done during the Olympic cycle with 7s they handle the results management. If it is done for XVs, World Rugby handles results management.

So basically, my guess here is that Ironman has contracted someone else to take the piss cups to the WADA certified lab. Which is why they're not in the USADA database.

For what it's worth-I was in-competition tested after IM Wisconsin last fall and IM Texas this year (2nd in Wisconsin, and back in 7th in Texas, so they were keeping it random there, apparently, which is fine). The sample collection agency was Clearidium. I have paperwork signed by the IM anti-doping program stating that Clearidium is authorized by WTC/IM anti-doping agency for sample collection "from athletes registered for Ironman events"..."for the purpose of sample analysis by a WADA accredited laboratory". Neither myself nor any of the other American women who were tested at those races are in the USADA database, and nowhere on any of the paperwork is USADA mentioned. To be honest, I've always been a little unclear of how it has worked with WTC/USADA/WADA and testing (I'm nowhere near the level of being in a registered testing pool, and have zero clue on out-of-competition testing), but I can at least attest that not all WTC testing is reflected in that database!
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [jlh1750] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is currently only two WADA Certified labs in the US and that's UCLA and SMRTL (SLC, UT). https://www.wada-ama.org/...ries#region-americas

Previously there was a WADA certified lab in Ohio but that seems to be gone.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
There is currently only two WADA Certified labs in the US and that's UCLA and SMRTL (SLC, UT). https://www.wada-ama.org/...ries#region-americas

Previously there was a WADA certified lab in Ohio but that seems to be gone.

i've never heard of a WADA lab in ohio. since i started following all of this, around the turn of the century, there was only UCLA. then salt lake city came in, oh, maybe 10 years ago? 12 years ago? don't remember.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I heard about it on a podcast I was listening to. Perhaps they misspoke because I couldn't find anything when I googled it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting-what I quoted (that samples get sent to a WADA accredited lab) is the extent of what I know about what happens to samples after in-competition WTC tests. It's always just been pee in a cup, fill out the paperwork, and then wait for prize money to come through, which happens once WTC gets results. Two US WADA labs in the US is definitely less than what I would have thought, though!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends. USADA does some target testing at ironman events. Then the ban comes down simultaneously through both channels
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's Lauren Goss. She claims she was using a CBD cream to treat an ankle injury.
Seems like an awful amount of THC in the system for a cream.

https://www.instagram.com/...?igshid=9pio8vbxb64r

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No issue with recreational pot. Why try and blame CBD cream if you live in a place where pot’s legal?
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse wrote:
It's Lauren Goss. She claims she was using a CBD cream to treat an ankle injury.

Her IG appears to be private now. Did she post about it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse wrote:

She hit the ridiculously high THC limit using a CBD cream? That just doesn't sound possible. Was she submersing herself in the cream like a mud bath?
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this is against the rules in any way I can take it down but this is her post. Once you follow her you can see everything.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Sep 5, 19 8:19
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Here's the post:

http://imgur.com/a/RtrTp6F

Trigirl357 wrote:
trailerhouse wrote:

Her IG appears to be private now. Did she post about it?

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should have received a 2-year ban. Not 6-months. Such trash.

Those who can prove their supplements were contaminated get two-year bans for, so she proved that her brand of CBD used had more than advertised amounts of THC...If the onus is on the athlete, she knew the supplement she used had THC in it. She knew that use of THC in-competition is illegal. Therefore she knew she needed to find a different brand.

Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So she knowingly used a product with THC in it? Regardless of whether that should produce a positive test or not, that's doesn't sound very responsible/knowledgeable of the rules she needs to abide by.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for sharing. She obviously meant to post it in an effort to be transparent. I think it is sad. I wonder if Infinite was the sponsor who dropped her. I understand the argument that she had to be smoking to have failed the higher THC thresholds.

Even so, I still think it wouldn’t be worth taking a chance on all of these new CBD products because they aren’t appropriately tested/proven yet. These companies want athletes to use their products, so if they are above the threshold, I can see them fudging the numbers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure the main sponsor was Trek.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

Those who can prove their supplements were contaminated get two-year bans for, so she proved that her brand of CBD used had more than advertised amounts of THC...If the onus is on the athlete, she knew the supplement she used had THC in it. She knew that use of THC in-competition is illegal. Therefore she knew she needed to find a different brand.

Lauren Barnett got 6-months after being able to prove her salt pills were tainted. Maybe Lauren Goss was able to prove something similar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
THC is a 6 month ban, it's not in the same class as EPO or others. Has nothing to do w/ her particular situation. USADA/WADA know that thc should be legal but are still in the moral policing realm so they give a slap on the wrist for it.
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
So she knowingly used a product with THC in it? Regardless of whether that should produce a positive test or not, that's doesn't sound very responsible/knowledgeable of the rules she needs to abide by.

Does this CBD cream help? Maybe a little.

Does it have THC? Definitely.

Why would you risk it?

Known risk for possible benefit.
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daniel Clarke wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Lauren Barnett got 6-months after being able to prove her salt pills were tainted. Maybe Lauren Goss was able to prove something similar.

Goss's post stated that the CBD supplement was tested and had way more than the advertised amount of THC.

Considering that CBD supplements aren't certified by the FDA...this is an at your own risk type thing.

Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

How confident are you in that? She's still listed on the TFR site.
Quote Reply
Re: word of a pro triathlete testing positive for THC [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
stevej wrote:

How confident are you in that? She's still listed on the TFR site.

It was just my initial guess and assumption. I don't know if I would put any weight on the TFR website.... websites are slow to get updated sometimes. I would expect someone of her caliber who is sponsored by a big time bike mfg to be getting paid a salary + bonuses from that mfg. I can't see any other sponsor of hers, outside of maybe TYR, giving as big as an endorsement deal as TFR would. Look at the other athletes on TFR and I would expect Trek to be the top sponsor if not #2 of all those athletes.

blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next