Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Patagonman Race Report - first Xtri at the end of the world
Quote | Reply
A couple of weeks ago, I raced the inaugural Patagonman deep in the heart of Patagonia (Chile side). It was my first Xtri triathlon (extreme cousin of the ironman distance) and what an experience it was! I have put together my thoughts, and have posted on my blog if you want to read about the day. You can read it here: http://www.cycle2tri.com/.../25/patagonman-2018/

In short, it was much harder than I expected (run course and bike to some degree). The swim was as cool as it seemed from seeing the images from the Norseman, and the location was spectacular.

Happy Xmas!

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Patagonman Race Report - first Xtri at the end of the world [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good stuff Jack!
Quote Reply
Re: Patagonman Race Report - first Xtri at the end of the world [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race report Jack! I just signed up for this amazing adventure and will take note of your experiences. I may need to pick your brain about the race closer to December.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome report Jack. Thanks for the details.

I signed up also for the second edition, and was wondering if I could reach you for more information in the future prior to the race.

Thanks

Guido
Quote Reply
Re: Patagonman Race Report - first Xtri at the end of the world [guidobrunelli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely, I am happy to chat with anyone who is racing this year.

Cheers!
Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the offer of help. If you would not mind, I was wondering what thermal gear you wore on the swim. I noticed your race report no longer exists but recall reading it last year and, unless I am mistaken, you mentioned that you were almost too warm? Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Patagonman Race Report - first Xtri at the end of the world [scobig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wore a normal wetsuit with thermal booties, a diving vest (2mm thick) under my wetsuit, a thermal cap under the race cap and thermal gloves.

The days before we swam in a nearby beach and the water was damn cold, but where we did the race, it was not nearly as cold and I could have gone without the thermal cap and vest. The gloves were worthless as they just absorbed 3kg of water and then proceeded to wear my arms and shoulders out stroke by stroke.

I am not sure what to do about the gloves as I definitely wanted them (my hands get cold easily) but the extra weight was no bueno

Jack

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was hoping Slowtwitch might do a report on last Sunday’s race as Tim Don absolutely stomped the course.

What an utterly amazing experience it has been. Having done more than 25 Ironman’s around the world, Silverman, Epic Camp as well as Marathon des Sables, this has been my favourite event. Such a brilliant part of the world. Such amazing, amazing people.

I will see if I can write a report when I am back as the organizers certainly deserve the support. Never have I been so slow and felt so pleased.

Like last year the practice swim was much colder (8.5C) but this year we were able to swim Plan A (10.5C). I rode an aero road bike and those switchbacks into Villa Cero Castillo, with my wife driving as Support behind, were the most fun I have had in the saddle.

Thanks for the cold water gear tips. I did not feel the same gloves issue but I suspect that’s probably because I am not as good a swimmer and have poor technique so thrashed my way to shore giving the Aysen Fjord a beating.

Finally, the way Tim Don and Flora Colledge (this year’s women’s champion) carried themselves all week was amazing. They are a credit to their sponsors and I cannot speak highly enough about them.
Last edited by: scobig: Dec 3, 19 2:33
Quote Reply
Re: Patagonman Race Report - first Xtri at the end of the world [scobig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like an amazing races, and indeed could use some more wider audience (at least reading report and looking at pictures).

Great perf from Tim Don and Flora Colledge (and the others, as usual).

I hope Tim will go to the XTri World Championship this year (Norseman again, I guess). It was a great race this year, but on the man side, there is too many norvegian peoples on the podium ;-)
Quote Reply