Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
More tour info: https://toolband.com/...-american-tour-info/

Looks like I know what I'm doing 11/18 and 11/22..

Not much of a west coast (or northwest rather) swing..out of those places listed which one would be a good destination concert venue?

The AZ show sounds like an interesting location but I also need to get my ass down to LA at some point over the next few months..
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Listening to it for the first time as I post, just finished song #2.

Pneuma is fucking heavy, wow. I want to say Danny is driving the train so far, but Adam and Justin are just as present, and Maynard ties it all together. Brilliant so far!

Second listen to Pneuma, and it felt like a completely different song than on first listen. Maynard just serves to give meaning to the music in this piece, while the other three absolutely shine individually and collectively.

This is in their top three long form songs, along with Lateralis and as of now, 7empest.

It's gonna take a dozen listens and twenty-plus hours to fully appreciate this album, but it's a solid A so far, as long as you don't require early-mid career 5-minute mommy issues Tool to satisfy your cravings.

They didn't phone this one in or cobble together unused takes and riffs from the cutting room floor. Halfway through my second listen, this is Tool doing what they do best, as well as they've ever done it.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
sphere wrote:
This is what we've been waiting for. Jesus, that's heavy shit.

The tempest must be true to it's nature...

Christ...can't tell you the last time a new song gave me chills but that intro to 7empest certainly did the trick - "Here we go again!"

Second listen to 7empest. Chills at least 3 times. Adam's guitar just screams on this track like I don't think I've heard from him before. Danny and Justin just hammer it start to finish. Maynard's whisper to growl is pitch perfect. Everything comes together in this song, like a career opus. It is absolutely brilliant.

Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed.

Anyone else do the super special CD package ? Just gave mine a brief glance over but plan to play around with it more tonight. Thoughts/impressions or just any general comments on if it was worth it?

For the record I'd be hard pressed not to rationalize it just because it's Tool and just so dam unique. This is also the first CD I've bought in at least decade (last one was The Racanteours 2nd album I think). Think I'll be snagging 10k days and anemia on CD soon As well since my nifty xbox360 CD player sounds pretty amazing on my system (thanks again Sully!).

The difference in what you can pick up on the CD vs streaming is pretty remarkable on this one. I know they are a fan of the medium so makes sense that they would do it right (and on that note I'm not holding out much hope for the vinyl but I'll still be one of the first to pre order it).
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My God; It’s full of stars.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
Agreed.

Anyone else do the super special CD package ? Just gave mine a brief glance over but plan to play around with it more tonight. Thoughts/impressions or just any general comments on if it was worth it?

For the record I'd be hard pressed not to rationalize it just because it's Tool and just so dam unique. This is also the first CD I've bought in at least decade (last one was The Racanteours 2nd album I think). Think I'll be snagging 10k days and anemia on CD soon As well since my nifty xbox360 CD player sounds pretty amazing on my system (thanks again Sully!).

The difference in what you can pick up on the CD vs streaming is pretty remarkable on this one. I know they are a fan of the medium so makes sense that they would do it right (and on that note I'm not holding out much hope for the vinyl but I'll still be one of the first to pre order it).

Yeah.. played around with the screen and flicked through the book, did not play the CD yet though (and I'm going to take credit for the Xbox idea ;) )
Overall pretty happy with the purchase, but the excitement of the album managed to get overshadowed by the tour announcement.

Wife was semi-impressed with the packaging until I answered her "And that was just for regular CD price?" question.

It did inspire me to break out my copy of Salival tonight. Also planning on buying the remainder of their catalog on CD.
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
Agreed.

Yeah.. played around with the screen and flicked through the book, did not play the CD yet though (and I'm going to take credit for the Xbox idea ;) )
Overall pretty happy with the purchase, but the excitement of the album managed to get overshadowed by the tour announcement.

Wife was semi-impressed with the packaging until I answered her "And that was just for regular CD price?" question.

It did inspire me to break out my copy of Salival tonight. Also planning on buying the remainder of their catalog on CD.

Ah, then thanks to you for the xbox360 idea. Evidently the quality is due to Microsoft investing in a firm specializing in CD components as part of their goal of making the xbox a legit media center. I can attest it's pretty awesome quality and there are a number of hacks out there to make it even better if that's your thing.

I've never owned (or listened I don't believe) to Salival. It's a reordering of one of their albums I believe ( I do have the google on my cpu..just being lazy )? Is there anything else interesting about does the reordering of tracks make it worth it?

My wife was also semi-interested. For the first 5 seconds of watching the cd case screen she was anyhow. Turned around briefly to finish making skipjack jr some fish tacos and she was gone a few seconds later (we never got to price though). She has however been really into listening to Fear Inoculum (the single) the past few weeks. Says the beat/flow of the song puts her into a semi trance-like state if she just focuses on the music and lets it happen..thought that was interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
I've never owned (or listened I don't believe) to Salival. It's a reordering of one of their albums I believe ( I do have the google on my cpu..just being lazy )? Is there anything else interesting about does the reordering of tracks make it worth it?

It's a CD/DVD set of live and rare tracks (Pushit really stands out with an alternate/live treatment) as well as a couple of covers (Zeppelin's "No Quarter" and "You Lied" by Justin Chancellor's former band Peach). DVD is a handful of their early videos (Sober, Prison Sex, Aenima and Stinkfist) and Hush, probably the most un-Tool video they've done. Also has a hardcover booklet kind of similar to the Fear Inoculum one, with stills from their videos, artwork and band pics.

I think the reordered album you're referring to is "The Holy Gift", which is Lateralus with the track order based on the Fibonacci sequence. Parabol/a is perfect as an album opener, IMO. Nerdy explanation!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Skipjack wrote:

It's a CD/DVD set of live and rare tracks (Pushit really stands out with an alternate/live treatment) as well as a couple of covers (Zeppelin's "No Quarter" and "You Lied" by Justin Chancellor's former band Peach). DVD is a handful of their early videos (Sober, Prison Sex, Aenima and Stinkfist) and Hush, probably the most un-Tool video they've done. Also has a hardcover booklet kind of similar to the Fear Inoculum one, with stills from their videos, artwork and band pics.

I think the reordered album you're referring to is "The Holy Gift", which is Lateralus with the track order based on the Fibonacci sequence. Parabol/a is perfect as an album opener, IMO. Nerdy explanation!

Sweet! Love that shit. Thanks (now I should probably try to track that down..God knows what it goes for now..Ill just let that be a fun surprise).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure where my fellow LR Tool fans are life stage-wise for the most part but this gif totally nails it for me.
Last edited by: Skipjack: Aug 31, 19 15:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best Tool album?

Lateralus is it in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I literally was digging through this thread trying to watch and listen to whatever came up but had to keep turning my phone up to drown out kids asking for cups of milk and whatnot . Puppy romping, 4 years old trying to boss me around, Tempest blasting lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ænima > Lateralus > Undertow > 10,000 Days > Opiate

You can't really rank a Tool album in the first week of release given the density and complexity of the material. Initial impressions are that it falls somewhere around the middle of the pack, maybe fighting Lateralus for second place.

But it ultimately depends on your criteria and what you're looking for in a Tool Album. For the direction they've headed (longer, multi-part song structure), this is their best work, but it lacks those shorter roundhouse kicks to the face songs (The Grudge, Vicarious, Forty Six and 2, Stinkfist, etc) which detracts from the complete Tool experience somewhat.

Even ranking 10,000 Days near the bottom, damn that album has some good songs. Vicarious, Jambi, The Pot, Right in Two. They're all just so damn good.

Last edited by: sphere: Sep 2, 19 7:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
Not sure where my fellow LR Tool fans are life stage-wise for the most part but this gif totally nails it for me.

+1000

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question for anyone who can answer: Have you pre-ordered tickets before via ToolArmy access? If you have, does the link for that become obvious once the magic time arrives? e.g. under the ToolArmy tab of their store?

I thought I joined prior to their last tour but I guess not, so now I'm one of those terrible new army members looking for how to pre-order my tickets.

Would have loved to see a venue like Red Rocks on the tour list. I saw them there for Aenima. Prior to that I saw them in a very small venue in Denver; looked like a roller rink inside. Anyway, this tour's Philly date lines up well with my birthday. Nice I'll have something kick ass to do that "weekend", presuming I can get tickets!

(eta quotes on weekend as, oops, Philly's date is Monday.)

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Last edited by: Tsunami: Sep 3, 19 5:44
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Best Tool album?

Lateralus is it in my opinion.

I'd have to agree with you on Lateralus being #1.

Most listened to for me is Undertow though. That was pretty much the soundtrack of my soph/jr high school years.
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No experience with Tool Army or their presale.. planning on taking my chances with the regular sale on Friday (got my buddy handling the AC tickets and I'm getting our Philly ones).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not specifically replying to you, just to thread in general...has there been any chatter about further supply of the CD? I'm absolutely not willing to pay scalper prices (currently ~$240 from amazon resellers).

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
Sweet! Love that shit. Thanks (now I should probably try to track that down..God knows what it goes for now..Ill just let that be a fun surprise).

Right now Ebay pricing is all over the place depending on condition, but going for up to around $200-250 (first edition, which has a couple of typos in the liner notes - same version I have)
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
renorider wrote:
Not specifically replying to you, just to thread in general...has there been any chatter about further supply of the CD? I'm absolutely not willing to pay scalper prices (currently ~$240 from amazon resellers).

I've seen analysts predicting that this album will outsell some Taylor Swift album this week (that currently holds a sales record). Nothing concrete to go off of but I would assume they will open up cd sales again very soon. Probably want to give us super special edition people a few days of feeling super special is my guess.

...but yeah..don't go for the scalper garbage. I mean the cd package is neat and all but it's going to be the exact same pressing on the "regular" copies of the CD.
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
Question for anyone who can answer: Have you pre-ordered tickets before via ToolArmy access? If you have, does the link for that become obvious once the magic time arrives? e.g. under the ToolArmy tab of their store?

I thought I joined prior to their last tour but I guess not, so now I'm one of those terrible new army members looking for how to pre-order my tickets.

Would have loved to see a venue like Red Rocks on the tour list. I saw them there for Aenima. Prior to that I saw them in a very small venue in Denver; looked like a roller rink inside. Anyway, this tour's Philly date lines up well with my birthday. Nice I'll have something kick ass to do that "weekend", presuming I can get tickets!

(eta quotes on weekend as, oops, Philly's date is Monday.)

Looks like the Tool Army presale is only for VIP packages (at $500 a pop).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, crap. Double crap. Thanks for the intel.

ETA - Well happy birthday to me.

What's the 411 on AC? Is that a smaller more intimate venue? If so, maybe I'll try my chances of getting tickets there through gen pop sales.

Last edited by: Tsunami: Sep 4, 19 7:12
Quote Reply
Re: Tool Fans: did you see the photo they released today? [JYoung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JYoung wrote:
I literally was digging through this thread trying to watch and listen to whatever came up but had to keep turning my phone up to drown out kids asking for cups of milk and whatnot . Puppy romping, 4 years old trying to boss me around, Tempest blasting lol.

I had the good fortune of being stuck in LA to San Diego traffic for four hours on Saturday morning so I got sit uninterrupted and listen to it all the way through twice on a really good sound system.

I like this record a lot.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
Well, crap. Double crap. Thanks for the intel.

ETA - Well happy birthday to me.

What's the 411 on AC? Is that a smaller more intimate venue? If so, maybe I'll try my chances of getting tickets there through gen pop sales.

Capacity is about half of the Wells Fargo, so definitely more intimate.. basically minor-league hockey arena size. Last time they toured close to this area in 2017 we saw them at the Hershey Giant Arena, which is the same capacity as Boardwalk Hall - my buddy who was with me also saw them at Boardwalk Hall in 2007 and said it was pretty much the same in terms of crowd size, setup etc.

This was the 2009 AC show, you get a few glimpses of what it looks like venue-wise:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After posting my question, I googled the answer. Thanks for confirmation. I was at the Hershey show, too.

I also perused ticket prices for both AC and Philly. Less expensive than VIP, all the way up to same as VIP (lower level in Wells Fargo) By the time I add in parking, TicketMaster fees and that I don't know I'll make it to another Tool concert after this, I have come to terms with the VIP price. That said, I understand the bait-and-switch frustration expressed by angry fans on social media. I definitely felt a taken when I first read your earlier message this morning.

Quote Reply

Prev Next