Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Scott Plasma 6 disc Carbon
Quote | Reply
No pics yet :(....but, Scott already put in their website some specs!!

https://www.scott-sports.com/...-plasma-premium-bike

Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 6 disc Carbon [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a pic posted a while ago in another thread and it didn't get much attention. I think it looks interesting but wonder whether it will be another case of "look at everything we had to do just to make it as fast as our old rim bike"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonder if Kienle and Brownlee will have one at 70.3 worlds in a few weeks?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 6 disc Carbon [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about Nice, but Kona for sure. July 2020 availability I believe, but not certain on that one.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Color me excited. I think the old Plasma was one of the best looking bikes out there. This one may be a bit more on the quirky side but I'm a big fan of quirky bikes as well so I'm excited. Looks like its going to be a no expense spared bike though, at least to start. Hopefully we don't see a release similar to the Shiv Disc where only the pros get it and then it takes a super long time for everyone else.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And I see the website also has the shoes with the Boa on the back finally!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like it has a monopost judging by the fit range and the image. Will be interesting to see whether it breaks the Cervelo patent on the mono design.
Much better fit range than the old model although the XL isn't USAT legal on front centre
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 6 disc Carbon [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Looks like it has a monopost judging by the fit range and the image. Will be interesting to see whether it breaks the Cervelo patent on the mono design.
Much better fit range than the old model although the XL isn't USAT legal on front centre

I'm curious, what is the patent for? Is it somehow different compared to TriRig, 51 Speedshop, Shiv Tri, etc. that the patent would get Scott in trouble but not the others?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found the post by MTRIB with pic from July: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6990775#p6990775

Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 6 disc Carbon [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
cyclenutnz wrote:

I'm curious, what is the patent for? Is it somehow different compared to TriRig, 51 Speedshop, Shiv Tri, etc. that the patent would get Scott in trouble but not the others?
I don't believe Cervelo, Specialized, Trek, or 51-Speedshop have any patents on their single-riser style bars, but we certainly do: https://patents.google.com/patent/US10160510B1/ - fully granted utility patent.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 6 disc Carbon [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
I don't believe Cervelo, Specialized, Trek, or 51-Speedshop have any patents on their single-riser style bars, but we certainly do: https://patents.google.com/patent/US10160510B1/ - fully granted utility patent.

Do you make Cervelo pay royalties, or how is this patent applied?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s the deal with the Grand Canyon sized gab between the front wheel and the downtube

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
TriRig wrote:

I didn’t read through the patent filing in detail, but I did read enough to see his patent is filed a year after the p5x was released. And it’s reasonable to presume the p5x was released years after development on the Cervelo monoriser began.

I would think it would be tough to demand royalties if he indeed claims the monoriser is all his. And I gotta think someone had a monoriser on a pursuit bike or funny bike back in the day, but who knows.

So unless he has evidence to the contrary, it looks like he just might have been first to the courthouse, so to speak. But hey, I write software for a living, so really I have no idea what I’m talking about.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 6 disc Carbon [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t remember much about IP law from law school but seem to recall that having a patent is no big deal as they are granted regularly and with relative ease. The validity of the patent really gets tested when you want to try to enforce your patent or claim someone else is infringing on it. So, the question is probably....are any of these manufacturers of various monoposts going to start going after each other claiming infringement?? Unlikely, I think. If I’m wrong, I’m sure there are IP attorneys hanging around here who will correct me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:

Original 2007 Cervelo application https://patents.google.com/...e=Cervelo+Cycles+Inc
Nick took some pics of the concept they showed in 2011 https://www.tririg.com/...velo_P5_PX_Prototype
2017 one for P5X https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/...a/WO2018053652A1.pdf

Obviously Trek SC2 and Swift Neurogen have been around with mono designs for some time.

As I understand it you would have to contravene all elements of the P5X patent for there to be a case. One of the major elements is hiding the riser in the steerer or fork assembly - which is what the Scott appears to be doing.

The Tririg design is the best example at the moment as there is no x dependency on y (having the riser drop in parallel with the headtube causes the slope in the fit range box seen in the scott geo pic).

Backing up DFW - from when we looked into patents for unique elements of our motion capture software it seemed that a patent means nothing until tested in court, so we didn't bother as wouldn't be able to afford to play that game anyway. Of course, I'm not a lawyer and my interpretation could have been entirely wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 6 disc Carbon [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My pick is that they're extending the depth of the headtube within UCI rules by having the tube junction of TT and DT behind the 160mm HT depth limit - mimicking the effect of the nosy shiv or hydration systems.

And a way to redirect the air that gets pushed into the back of the fork crown by the front wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 6 disc Carbon [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
TriRig wrote:

I didn’t read through the patent filing in detail, but I did read enough to see his patent is filed a year after the p5x was released. And it’s reasonable to presume the p5x was released years after development on the Cervelo monoriser began.

I would think it would be tough to demand royalties if he indeed claims the monoriser is all his. And I gotta think someone had a monoriser on a pursuit bike or funny bike back in the day, but who knows.

So unless he has evidence to the contrary, it looks like he just might have been first to the courthouse, so to speak. But hey, I write software for a living, so really I have no idea what I’m talking about.

TriRig’s post may be inferred to suggest that it was for the number of risers ( in this case, single riser) for which it received a patent.
In fact, in order to differentiate from the prior art, TriRig had to amend to include language on tiltability of the arm rest, relative to stem. So if the other brands don’t have that tiltability feature, no infringement.

Also, the prosecution history shows that an uni-riser system is known (albeit a clunky looking one) from ten years back.

Lastly, the number of risers is an ancillary point. I’m sure that TriRig’s attorneys told TriRig this, but the granted patent may be better described as a grant for system enabling arm rest tiltability effected through one or more risers.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 6 disc Carbon [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
Wonder if Kienle and Brownlee will have one at 70.3 worlds in a few weeks?

I bet they will. They likely have been training on it for months providing feedback
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 6 disc Carbon [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A stripped paint version...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 6 disc Carbon [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell yeah

Without decals, SCOTT simply braided into the bare carbon blackness

One derrailleur and shifter one cable cos x1

No puncture kit or tube or sparetube or pump or levers cos tubeless

No saddle clamps and no rails cos custom carbon seat fused to post mast on frame

.... matches the tooth brush with half handle cut off for brushing teeth pre race with less expenditure

Just have to work out if the rear derailleur can work with only one jockey wheel
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 6 disc Carbon [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.facebook.com/...sts/2887566241270005

Looks like Cervelo for the mono post.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 6 disc Carbon [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Such a large gap. Plus the loss of the front hydration leaves two very large gaps before you get to the cranks
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 6 disc Carbon [chumarnier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chumarnier wrote:
Agreed. Such a large gap. Plus the loss of the front hydration leaves two very large gaps before you get to the cranks

Would you still say that of the gap makes it faster?

Also, it has integrated hydration. Look for the straw in the picture
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know what happened with this bike?
No signs of release..
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 6 disc Carbon [Discus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More sites are starting to list it, mostly European ones.

This one says 1-2 day delivery, which I'm not sure I believe.

https://www.winterparkcycles.com/...47856&quantity=1
Quote Reply

Prev Next