Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tire Pressure Poll [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rim width, tire size, rider weight. There are so many variables here. The poll is oversimplified.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Pressure Poll [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road Bike
Training wheels: HED Ardennes Plus, Challenge Paris Roubaix 27mm (w/ Vittoria latex tubes 25/28mm) - 75 psig

Race wheels: HED Jet Black, Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm (w/ Vittoria Competition latex tubes 25/28mm) - 80 psig

Time Trial Bike
Race wheels: HED Jet SCT, Vittoria Corsa Speed G+ 23mm (w/ Vittoria Competition latex tubes 19/23mm) - 95 psig

I weigh 87 kg and run the supplied HED rim tape for all of my wheels. As well as Panaracer tire powder on the tubes, brushed on the inside of the tire casing, and onto the rim.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Pressure Poll [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
realbdeal wrote:
Mario S wrote:
TT Bike Tube (100% not latex) 23c 120R - 115F

Yikes. Latex vs butyl discussion aside, do you realize how much speed you're losing here? You could easily be running probably ~90 depending on your weight and have a more comfortable ride, and way less rolling resistance.

If I wanted comfort I wouldn't ride a TT bike.

Thanks, but ill stick to my current pressures knowing that I am not losing any speed.

You're losing TONS of speed

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Pressure Poll [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Mario S wrote:
realbdeal wrote:
Mario S wrote:
TT Bike Tube (100% not latex) 23c 120R - 115F

Yikes. Latex vs butyl discussion aside, do you realize how much speed you're losing here? You could easily be running probably ~90 depending on your weight and have a more comfortable ride, and way less rolling resistance.

If I wanted comfort I wouldn't ride a TT bike.

Thanks, but ill stick to my current pressures knowing that I am not losing any speed.

You're losing TONS of speed

He doesn't care. He clearly wants to go slow given his responses in the latex tube thread. That's fine for the rest of us so we can go faster on fewer watts than him though.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Pressure Poll [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been training with mine from 100-110. Im 178lbs. Those are with butyl and some old Conti UltraSport IIs. When I race I switch over to latex and GP4000s. I have a race coming up and was thinking of putting them at 100, but now I'm not positive what pressure would be optimal. I can't even remember the road quality, but I guess I will ride out the day before to scope it out, but what would the suggestion depending on smooth roads vs some bumpier asphalt?

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Pressure Poll [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
s13tx wrote:
130lb
Tubular
120psi front and back.

My bike mechanic put that much, it feels fast so I keep it that way.

Whoo! I hope you're runnin 20s!

22 front & 25 rear
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Pressure Poll [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
I have been training with mine from 100-110. Im 178lbs. Those are with butyl and some old Conti UltraSport IIs. When I race I switch over to latex and GP4000s. I have a race coming up and was thinking of putting them at 100, but now I'm not positive what pressure would be optimal. I can't even remember the road quality, but I guess I will ride out the day before to scope it out, but what would the suggestion depending on smooth roads vs some bumpier asphalt?

What width GP4k do you run? And what wheel? With latex you can go a smidge lower than usual. At your weight if you are running 23mm (guessing) you might even do better at 95psi.

Personally I run 25mm Conti GPTTs with latex on ENVE 7.8s at 80psi. I weigh 150lbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Pressure Poll [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
[He clearly wants to go slow given his responses in the latex tube thread. That's fine for the rest of us so we can go faster on fewer watts than him though.
Ringy Dingy. Hello. Yes, this is the 1980s. I want my tire pressure back.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Pressure Poll [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
The roads aren’t THAT different

Last edited by: rruff: Aug 28, 19 7:31
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Pressure Poll [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess it never really occurs to some of you that people actually do their own testing.

Like really world testing

Actual sitting on a bike testing.

Not keyboard warrior marketing BS im only 14 years old kind of testing!!!

Doesn't occur to anyone that there are many factors when choosing a tyre pressure?

Oh well!!

For clarity, 1980's it would be tubs and 160psi!! :D
Last edited by: Mario S: Aug 28, 19 7:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Novatec r5s and the 4000s are 25s.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Pressure Poll [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The issue with citing a graph like that and then saying you're running 110 though is that the cost of running too high is clearly much worse than the potential loss of running too low. From that bottom graph, running at 100 is without a doubt the right move even if you think the asphalt is nearly perfect. At the worst case, you lose 1 watt if it really is perfect the whole way. The worst case of running 110 even is that you lose 6 watts as soon as there is any section of bad pavement. Its simply safer to err on the side of too low rather than too high. And 110 is almost always going to be erring on the side of too high if not being outright too high.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Pressure Poll [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
130lb
Tubular
120psi front and back.

Way too high.

Take a minute to adjust the pressure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run as low as 20 on the mtb, 22 on cx, 75 on the roadie, TT and 110 on the trackie. I've also gone all the way up to 220 with on the track, so the best answer for this might be "it depends".

Growing up it was always 120 PSI. It was grilled into me to check before every ride, more recently, I've been playing around with 75-85 PSI and while I have no idea if its faster or not, I like it. I think 75 is a touch soft at 156-160 lbs but that could also just be in my head from years of riding at 100-120.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with many of the points on here that it varies depending on tire size, rim type, road conditions, etc. I'm 175

On my TT bike, I have old school narrow rims with 23mm GP4ks and Latex tubes. I run about 90-95 depending on conditions and road surface- 95 is only a on very smooth surface (a weekly TT series near where I live uses such a road, would be about 90 on normal roads).

On my road bike, I have Jet 6's with 25mm GP4ks (which actually measure at 30mm on the rim). I barely get over 80PSI, and will run less depending on the application. For example, I ran 70PSI in a recent technical crit to increase grip, and had no issues even with some nasty bumps. The lower pressure really helped through a couple fast and rough corners.

Anyone running north of 90PSI is likely giving up a lot of speed, unless you have old school narrow tires and rims, and/or are only riding on pristine pavement.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Pressure Poll [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
s13tx wrote:
130lb
Tubular
120psi front and back.

Way too high.

Take a minute to adjust the pressure.

I will go out for a long ride, adjust the pressure as I ride and see. We have a 10 mile loop around the lake so I can come back to my car to adjust air pressure anytime. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Pressure Poll [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:
Agreed. I have different wheel sets with different internal widths and difference size tires. I run any thing from 85 to 125. And 5psi less if I'm near race weight.

Aren't those different sets for different purposes though? I also have a bunch of different wheels of different widths with different tires and different pressures. My winter training wheels are running 28s at ~75psi. But the poll question was specific to tri/TT racing, which 95% of the time for me means 23s at ~100psi.

Thanks for pointing out the tri-tt part. Missed that. In addition to fat and slow, I'm getting old and blind.

In that case, 115psi front, 120 rear, 23mm tubulars.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Pressure Poll [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gooooo loooower! Drop them to 95 and then ride some. Drop them to 90 and ride some more. You are losing out on a lot of speed and comfort as an added bonus.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
The issue with citing a graph like that and then saying you're running 110 though is that the cost of running too high is clearly much worse than the potential loss of running too low. From that bottom graph, running at 100 is without a doubt the right move even if you think the asphalt is nearly perfect. At the worst case, you lose 1 watt if it really is perfect the whole way. The worst case of running 110 even is that you lose 6 watts as soon as there is any section of bad pavement. Its simply safer to err on the side of too low rather than too high. And 110 is almost always going to be erring on the side of too high if not being outright too high.

You assume a lot...

The asphalt was very good, and most of the time I was on the white line which was super smooth.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Pressure Poll [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For years I was running 115/120 psi with my stock Felt TTR wheels/Conti GP4000S 25mm tires (195 lb rider) but when I bought my HED Jet 6 Plus wheels they recommended something in the neighborhood of 87 psi. I think their max. was stated at 90 psi. I consulted them and they said their testing showed running those lower pressures was optimum performance wise and who was I to disagree. But running right there for the last couple years without issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Pressure Poll [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a thread that you started recently, you said that you were very concerned about getting a flat.

Why is that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is tire pressure always addressed as 'run' or 'ran'?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This. I used to run about 110 on 25mm Conti 4000s (tubes). Same tires/size, now I generally race and train at 90psi, and I'm significantly faster. For reference, my weight generally falls from low 150s (race weight) to up to 160 (post A-race sloth period weight). Added bonus is I don't have to worry about my tires exploding on a hot day.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Pressure Poll [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
In a thread that you started recently, you said that you were very concerned about getting a flat.

Why is that?

It’s because I’ve never replaced tubular tires during the race or bike rally. Not to mention, I don’t carry a spare tubular tire. I have a road bike with clinchers and yes I have no problem replacing inner tubes and tires on that one. I carry PitStop as a repair kit for tubulars. I used it once and it worked well but I’m afraid I’m going to get a big cut that PitStop can’t fix.
Last edited by: s13tx: Aug 28, 19 8:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
AlyraD wrote:

What width GP4k do you run? And what wheel? With latex you can go a smidge lower than usual. At your weight if you are running 23mm (guessing) you might even do better at 95psi.

Personally I run 25mm Conti GPTTs with latex on ENVE 7.8s at 80psi. I weigh 150lbs.

just tacking on as I'm in a similar situation. I'm about 170lbs. Currently running GP4000s 25mm but might be switching to GP5000s (not sure how much that matters) with latex. I've been running at 90psi front and back for maybe a year. Not sure if I should go as low as 85psi or leave as is. wheels are the profile design 58/twenty fours internal rim width is 17mm and external is 24.5mm.
Quote Reply

Prev Next