Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric, Do you have suggestions for computer placement on the P5d. The mount that comes with it seems to require you to take the mount off to get the computer off. I am trying a K-Edge with the dial lock on the back, but that seems to have to go on the round part of the extension which puts the computer in perfect position between the extensions, BUT I can't wrap my fingers fully around the extensions. Certainly there is a solution, I just have't figured it out. FYI - I am still using Garmin 510. Thanks,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good job on the fit... looks good. You also chose well with a P4 and the Pro Missile cockpit.

With a pad stack of 638 and a pad reach of 434 you are sort of in between sizes on the P5d. You're in the upper-middle range of a 51cm P5d and the middle-back range of a 54cm P5d.

With the exact same position as pictured on your P4, you'd be fine on the 51cm... the mono-riser would be at the 70mm position and the pads in the +15 position. You could still get 20mm longer if need be at that stack.

As for cockpit options, I think you have two... go with the 50 degree extensions and an aftermarket pad tilt option like you have on your P4, or go with the EX-10 mono-riser from the P3x, which would give you tilt as well as additional reach and width options.

So... 51cm P5d. Make sense?

Eric

el gato wrote:
Hi Eric,

Thanks for this thread, and thanks in advance for your help. I'm currently on a P4 and looking to possibly make the switch to the new P5 disc. Here's my current fit on the P4 from my last fitting (saddle change). Note that I'm currently using Pro Missile Evo aerobars, to which I added some custom 10 deg. wedge shims to get the extension angle I needed (primarily for comfort - too much shoulder tension with flat extensions). Any insight on the best cockpit setup with the various options would be much appreciated.

-John

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi David, I've been following that line of thought on the P5d thread. I don't have any real suggestions, except that my preferred method is the Speedfil BTA bottle cage with the Garmin mount attached. I use a low profile Garmin 130 and so it's fairly hidden.

You mentioned extensions... I would argue that if you're wrapping your fingers around your extensions you're doing it wrong. Try jamming the heels of your hands into the ends of your ski bends, rotating hands, forearms, and shoulders *inward*. Give yourself trigger finger shifter buttons instead of thumb position ones. You're a gunslinger, not a helicopter pilot. Adjust/swap extensions to make this method work. In conjunction with elbows on pads, you have a solid foundation from which to shrug and turtle from which requires zero energy to hold.

Eric

d
david wrote:
Eric, Do you have suggestions for computer placement on the P5d. The mount that comes with it seems to require you to take the mount off to get the computer off. I am trying a K-Edge with the dial lock on the back, but that seems to have to go on the round part of the extension which puts the computer in perfect position between the extensions, BUT I can't wrap my fingers fully around the extensions. Certainly there is a solution, I just have't figured it out. FYI - I am still using Garmin 510. Thanks,

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much.

Obviously you are much younger than me so it would be hard for you to understand that with old eyes the computer on the BTA is completely unreadable :-)!

However, yes I will try to be a gunslinger and see how that works. I appreciate your insight!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. I have to say I was a bit surprised at the recommendation for a 51cm. I'm 6' 0", and I'm on a 54cm P4. Before that I was on a 55cm P3 alu. However, I'm a visual guy and after plugging in the same numbers into the tool on the Cervelo site I can see exactly what you mean. The 51 does seem to be a much better fit for me than the 54. Thanks again for your help!

-John

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David,

FWIW, I just turned 50 so I can start to relate to older eyes not seeing quite as well as they used to. I'm also using a Speedfil bottle mount with Garmin mount BTA on my P4 currently and plan to do the same on my next bike. My solution was to go to the larger Garmin 1030, and limit the number of fields on one screen. With the larger screen and 4 fields in the display, I can easily see everything quite clearly and the whole setup is shielded very nicely by my arms. If I need more data fields (usually don't) I just swipe to a second screen.

-John

Edit: Here's a shot in full race setup. There's a bottle and a Garmin 1030 between my arms there. Completely invisible.

Last edited by: el gato: Aug 16, 19 10:04
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beauty of the mono-riser i guess!

I never would have guessed you were 6 foot from that picture. Your fit is orthodox and you’re on a 54cm, so it checked out. You long legged and short torso.

That said, if you think you’ll get longer in the future you can always get the 54cm.

Last edited by: ericMPro: Aug 17, 19 4:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eric, what size P2 for Pad Y of 68cm and Pad X of 46cm?

Also are Pad X and Y charts for Cervelos listed somewhere where I can access them myself?

Thanks,
Bill
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [billhardin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi Bill,

Pad X and Y are available for the P5-6, P5x, P3x, and P5d on the Cervelo website. For the P2 and P3, Cervelo lists *frame* stack and reach, ie. to the top of the headtube. You can also reference all the bike brands' frame stacks and reaches on Slowtwitch here in the database.

As to your P2 question, it all depends on your cockpit choice and configuration. I like to get the largest and longest frame available that will still allow me to get low enough to hit Pad Y. This way, you are using aerodynamic frame to bring you up to your position instead of un-aerodynamic round spacers under the stem. If it were *me*, I would mate my P2 to a good aerodynamic aerobar like TriRig, Vision, Zipp, 51 Speedshop, etc. In that case, with a TriRig Alpha One you'd be a 58cm P2 with the bars slammed and the mono-post at 65mm and the pads in the -20mm position. From there, you'd have an additional 60mm to get lower and 40mm to get longer if your fit progressed in that direction. A more advanced solution would to measure the height of your obligatory aero bento behind your stem and match the stem to that height. For a slammed stem you'd need the Torhans Bento X, for the Profile Attk unit you'd need 10mm of aero matched spacers under the Alpha One stem and the mono-post at 55mm instead of 65mm, for example.

Make sense?

Eric

billhardin wrote:
Eric, what size P2 for Pad Y of 68cm and Pad X of 46cm?

Also are Pad X and Y charts for Cervelos listed somewhere where I can access them myself?

Thanks,
Bill

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric,

Bill's dimensions are quite similar to mine so I am interested in your previous response.

Pad X- 460 (back of pad)
Pad Y- 655

I am wanting to put the TR Alpha X on (cant justify the $ for Alpha one) so does that change your prescription above? My bike fit recommended a 56cm P2/3 which is the same 'size' as my old P2 (different frame stack and reach) that I have been told is too small...

The fit dimensions above are comfortable but I am wanting to ensure i have room to move lower if required.. I think on the 58 if I went much lower I am getting to undermount territory?

Appreciate your insight
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [flight<bird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah like Bill you could go either way... I like you better on a 58cm but that's just a philosophy thing. You'd fit equally well on a 56cm. Just a matter of getting the right configuration of the cockpit.

With a TriRig Alpha X and a 58cm P2, you'd have a slammed stem, 10mm of spacers under the pads, and the pads in the -20mm position. You'd have room to get longer but not much lower unless you used the undermount. If I saw a picture of your fit and you weren't optimized to my liking, I'd probably change that recommendation to a 56 so you could get lower, as long as the 56/Alpha X combination was long enough.

make sense?

Eric

flight<bird wrote:
Hi Eric,

Bill's dimensions are quite similar to mine so I am interested in your previous response.

Pad X- 460 (back of pad)
Pad Y- 655

I am wanting to put the TR Alpha X on (cant justify the $ for Alpha one) so does that change your prescription above? My bike fit recommended a 56cm P2/3 which is the same 'size' as my old P2 (different frame stack and reach) that I have been told is too small...

The fit dimensions above are comfortable but I am wanting to ensure i have room to move lower if required.. I think on the 58 if I went much lower I am getting to undermount territory?

Appreciate your insight

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I might try and shoot a picture/video but looking at your instagram I dont think i look much like your fit subjects...
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [flight<bird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes please, shoot me a video or pic...

they may not look like you but they're made up of the same stuff... they've just been given postural coaching and are on the right saddle for them, which is huge.

I can kind of guess from your fit coordinates what you look like, that's why I try to prescribe the bike that will fit you now and also fit you later if your fit progresses into a more "orthodox" position

hope this helps,
Eric

flight<bird wrote:
Thanks. I might try and shoot a picture/video but looking at your instagram I dont think i look much like your fit subjects...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eric, I hope this doesn't duplicate an existing discussion.

I am riding a 2013 P2 in size 54, stack 512, reach 418. I am just under 72" tall, with relatively short legs and a long upper body. I am a strong cyclist and have has the fastest bike split in 3 out of 4 races this year in my age group (M55-59). The 54cm P2 fits well enough, but the newer Cervelo bikes seem to be trending toward narrow/tall rather than long/low. It seems I might be OK to size up to a 56cm in the new P3 or the new P series. Would you agree?

Many thanks, Mark
Last edited by: mtschnur: Sep 6, 19 15:35
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [mtschnur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's your cockpit configuration? You gave me frame stack and reach, but if I had your pad stack and reach I could calculate the proper size of a new bike.

Eric

mtschnur wrote:
Eric, I hope this doesn't duplicate an existing discussion.

I am riding a 2013 P2 in size 54, stack 512, reach 418. I am just under 72" tall, with relatively short legs and a long upper body. I am a strong cyclist and have has the fastest bike split in 3 out of 4 races this year in my age group (M55-59). The 54cm P2 fits well enough, but the newer Cervelo bikes seem to be trending toward narrow/tall rather than long/low. It seems I might be OK to size up to a 56cm in the new P3 or the new P series. Would you agree?

Many thanks, Mark

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recently sold my 58cm 2014 P3 cause I felt the need for electronic shifting and disc brakes.

What size PX-series or P-series to go for as an update?

190cm tall.. and details attached

Last edited by: HalvorV: Sep 7, 19 11:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric,

Looking at options for my first tri bike, probably a P2/3, preferably a size I could "grow" with over the next season or two. Recently had a retul fitting done and measurements below for you. I did try doing it myself but just cant get it to work out, given my short reach high stack. Instagram link to show you how the fit looks as well.

Pad stack 680
Pad reach 455 (centre) ... 415 to back?
Extension Tilt - 15 degrees
Saddle Height 840
Saddle Setback 70
Saddle to Pad Drop 145
Saddle to Pad Reach 550
Crank length 172.5
Height - 6ft 2” (186 cm)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1dvwOZhyum/

@the.lazy.triathlete

https://www.strava.com/athletes/18691068
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [HalvorV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi, thanks for reaching out.

With a Pad Stack of 726mm and a Pad Reach of 440mm you are on the upper left quadrant of a size XL P3x.

These numbers indicate to me that you are sort of upright, and could probably get longer and lower in the future. For example, I am also 190cm tall and have a Pad Stack of 625mm and a Pad Reach of 540mm. Now, I'm quite the outlier, so I'm not recommending you do what I do, but I could see someone of your size being in the 675mm stack and 480mm reach range quite easily.

If you were to get a P-series bike you could fit on a 58cm or a 61cm.

Does this make sense?

Eric

HalvorV wrote:
Recently sold my 58cm 2014 P3 cause I felt the need for electronic shifting and disc brakes.

What size PX-series or P-series to go for as an update?

190cm tall.. and details attached

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [TLT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so just for fun I plugged your fit numbers into the P3x calculator... with a Pad Stack of 680mm and a Pad Reach of 405mm you are off the charts... too high for a size M and too far back for a size L. With a Pad Reach of 415 you just barely make it into the size L box.

Then I plugged you into the TriRig calculator for the Cervelo P2/3 and you're off the charts there as well. You can hit your pad stack on a couple of sizes, but the reach would be too long.

Your fit *looks* orthodox on the instagram post, and I want to recommend you a size for the P2/3 or even P-series, but the numbers don't quite add up... you're outside the box on quite a few frame size and cockpit combinations that I'm trying out.

Can you double check your reach numbers please?

thanks,
Eric

TLT wrote:
Hi Eric,

Looking at options for my first tri bike, probably a P2/3, preferably a size I could "grow" with over the next season or two. Recently had a retul fitting done and measurements below for you. I did try doing it myself but just cant get it to work out, given my short reach high stack. Instagram link to show you how the fit looks as well.

Pad stack 680
Pad reach 455 (centre) ... 415 to back?
Extension Tilt - 15 degrees
Saddle Height 840
Saddle Setback 70
Saddle to Pad Drop 145
Saddle to Pad Reach 550
Crank length 172.5
Height - 6ft 2” (186 cm)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1dvwOZhyum/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for looking Eric. I’ve double checked the fit report and asked my fitter and the measurements are correct. I was hoping it was something I was doing wrong, but turns out I seem to need a bike fit for a T-Rex 😂

ericMPro wrote:
so just for fun I plugged your fit numbers into the P3x calculator... with a Pad Stack of 680mm and a Pad Reach of 405mm you are off the charts... too high for a size M and too far back for a size L. With a Pad Reach of 415 you just barely make it into the size L box.

Then I plugged you into the TriRig calculator for the Cervelo P2/3 and you're off the charts there as well. You can hit your pad stack on a couple of sizes, but the reach would be too long.

Your fit *looks* orthodox on the instagram post, and I want to recommend you a size for the P2/3 or even P-series, but the numbers don't quite add up... you're outside the box on quite a few frame size and cockpit combinations that I'm trying out.

Can you double check your reach numbers please?

thanks,
Eric

@the.lazy.triathlete

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric, your recommendation on a P Series?

Armrest stack 63.4 cm

Armrest reach (to back edge) 43.0 cm

http://www.desotosport.com
http://www.ceepo.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [sullytriman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on the cockpit configuration, and which level of P-Series you get, you are a 54cm or 56cm. It's kind of a toss-up. I'm guessing you'd have more fore/aft flexibility with the cockpit that comes on the 105 model but I could be mistaken. It looks like the stack of a 56 fits you perfectly but the reach would be 10mm too long... I'd say that's pretty close though.

Let me check on the pad hole differences between the Zipp and Vision pads.

Eric

sullytriman wrote:
Hi Eric, your recommendation on a P Series?

Armrest stack 63.4 cm

Armrest reach (to back edge) 43.0 cm

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [TLT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The issue with the standard calculations is that tilting the aerobars slides the pad rear back ~20mm in your setup, which makes it look very hard to achieve. 58 would be the better option of those two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brilliant thank you, the effect of the titling has finally clicked with me too! 🙌🏻

cyclenutnz wrote:

The issue with the standard calculations is that tilting the aerobars slides the pad rear back ~20mm in your setup, which makes it look very hard to achieve. 58 would be the better option of those two.

@the.lazy.triathlete

Quote Reply

Prev Next