Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa - no need to get so sassy. I ride about 3k a year outside in Texas. Definitely not Florida bad humidity and rain, but not arid like AZ. I also always use a cover.

All I’m saying is if they’re not set up perfectly they’re a pain. But once dialed in hasn’t been a problem. That you’re only getting a few rides before they get wonky just suggested something else was up.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess I shoulda Pinked It!

My Mom always did say I was sassy, oh well... Anyway I'll get it right eventually, thanks for the tips everyone.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mitch@Trek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

I have a 2018 Trek SC, size L, high/far stem, mechanical shifting, that I'm flying with in 9 days on Delta Airlines. I'm going to be using my team's soft bike case, which is the Thule Roundtrip Pro XT (https://www.thule.com/...trip-pro-xt-_-100505). This is my first time packing a bike and first time flying with it so I'm basically terrified of something going wrong.

Talking to my bike shop, they recommend detaching the aerobars and stem, lying them sideways, and potentially removing the hook from the front brake to give the cables more slack. Then, of course, wrapping everything in tons of padding. Does this sound right? Is there anything else I should be aware of when it comes to the Speed Concept specifically?

More generally, is there a guide that people recommend online? I don't have the case on-hand yet to see what I'm working with, but my thoughts were to wrap everything in padding, and then stuff the case with extra padding as much as possible.

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Crentist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have flown with Scicon Aerocomfort Tri and a smaller hardcase. The scicon bag was big enough to leave the aerobars and seat intact. I just zipped tied pipe insulation around the frame/forks/seat stays/etc. The thule bag you have doesn't look to be big enough or designed to leave things attached so you would have to do what I had for the smaller hardcase.

1. Dislodge the front and rear brake wedge for more cable slack
2. Leave speed fin off and wrap.
3. Detach the headset ( 3 screws under the basebar) leaving the rest of headset intact. I have DI2 so didn't need to worry about shifter cables.
4. Remove seat post (might be able to just drop it down)
5. I removed rear derailleur, wrapped it and zipped tied to the seat stay
6. I removed the chain to keep it from damaging the frame.
7. Bubble wrap or wrap the headset assembly and zip to frame to prevent from damage
8. pipe insulation around the entire frame (maybe overboard but i'm paranoid)
9. Don't let any be loose in the bag, make sure everything is an pocket or zip tied to the frame or something sturdy
10. Bring extra zip ties for return flight.

hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [iliketri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know the part number to have a di2 junction box glued / attached to the stem.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Turbeau] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a link to a parts break down of the non-integrated fork and headset of the 2014 SC 7

I cannot find one anywhere. Is it the same as the 2013 (before the current frame)?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [iliketri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iliketri wrote:
I have flown with Scicon Aerocomfort Tri and a smaller hardcase. The scicon bag was big enough to leave the aerobars and seat intact. I just zipped tied pipe insulation around the frame/forks/seat stays/etc. The thule bag you have doesn't look to be big enough or designed to leave things attached so you would have to do what I had for the smaller hardcase.

1. Dislodge the front and rear brake wedge for more cable slack
2. Leave speed fin off and wrap.
3. Detach the headset ( 3 screws under the basebar) leaving the rest of headset intact. I have DI2 so didn't need to worry about shifter cables.
4. Remove seat post (might be able to just drop it down)
5. I removed rear derailleur, wrapped it and zipped tied to the seat stay
6. I removed the chain to keep it from damaging the frame.
7. Bubble wrap or wrap the headset assembly and zip to frame to prevent from damage
8. pipe insulation around the entire frame (maybe overboard but i'm paranoid)
9. Don't let any be loose in the bag, make sure everything is an pocket or zip tied to the frame or something sturdy
10. Bring extra zip ties for return flight.

hope this helps.

This was very helpful, thank you. Few more questions:

- Is there a type/brand of bubble wrap that works well? I never ship stuff so I'm ignorant here, and looking on Amazon there's a huge range of options. For example don't know if I need "large bubbles" or not.
- How important do you think it is to remove the chain? I've never done it, so a little hesitant, but maybe it's no biggie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've noticed on recent rides that my front brake on the right side (from rider perspective) is sticking and not returning to its original position after I apply it. The left side is fine, but when I apply the brakes the right side will move slightly as I squeeze the lever near the full extension, but when I release it barely moves back, and in some cases is rubbing on the brake track. I can get it to move back by pushing the integrated brake cover on that side, and it pushes it back to its original position, but it isn't smooth and feels kind of gunked up. I'm going to pop the cover off tomorrow to take a look, but has anyone had this experience in the past? Is it just a matter of some lube/grease somewhere?

I should also note, my brake adjustment on the right side also seems messed up. On the left side I can use an allen to move the pad in or out like normal. On the right side, the allen basically just spins and nothing ever happens, and I'm 99% sure it's not just user error on that. Could be related to the above?
Last edited by: Crentist: Aug 19, 19 8:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably needs a bit of cleaning. I spray a very little amount of PL-100 on the wedge (I make sure that none drips towards the brake pads), and it makes the brakes work much better.
Last edited by: madmax231: Aug 19, 19 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a chance to buy 2014 New old stock SC 7 for super cheap.
Wondering about size. Was riding TTX 9 size small for last 9 years and loved it, but it is broken so new ride
My x is 450 and my y is 650 from old bike. Have choice small or large in SC
Experts out there- small again is what I am leaning towards but thoughts?

Also can I put 7.5 integrated front end on 7? Cost? Is it worth it?

Looking at di2 upgrade and some race wheels as well
Thanks for all help

"There are no problems in life, just many leadership and learning opportunities." SED
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [mxblues98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi everybody, I think I’m finally in the market for a travel bag or box for my speed concept. What is everybody using? What do you look for so your bikes won’t break? I think minimal disassembly is a positive. Thanks for your help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know where I might be able to find the SC monobar extension plug in?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [mtomchan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mtomchan wrote:
Does anyone know where I might be able to find the SC monobar extension plug in?

Order at your LBS, we have them in stock but they are now using an updated hardware (but cheaper). You need all of the below:

Mono Plugin – W582446
6mm bolt and T-nut – 596164

Mono Slider – W582447

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bikes | @mitchmathewz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mxblues98 wrote:
Have a chance to buy 2014 New old stock SC 7 for super cheap.
Wondering about size. Was riding TTX 9 size small for last 9 years and loved it, but it is broken so new ride
My x is 450 and my y is 650 from old bike. Have choice small or large in SC
Experts out there- small again is what I am leaning towards but thoughts?

Also can I put 7.5 integrated front end on 7? Cost? Is it worth it?

Looking at di2 upgrade and some race wheels as well
Thanks for all help

With your X/Y measurements, the small seems to be a rough fit as you'd likely need a high-far stem (integrated setup) which looks awful but it is doable. You'd be better on a Medium frame. The Large is definitely big, which would put you on a low stem.

Also, you can convert a 7 to have an integrated front end. Ball park pricing for it in USD:

Stem - $86
Handlebar - $557
Mono extension - $149
Other bits: $150

Last edited by: Mitch@Trek: Aug 20, 19 10:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mitch, thanks for stepping in the replace Carl's big shoes. If you happen to see a small SC frame going out the door shipping to Trek Superstore in San Marcos CA, that is mine, just ordered it yesterday. It is going to be built up with the new Campagnolo Super Record 12 speed EPS group.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
Hey Mitch, thanks for stepping in the replace Carl's big shoes. If you happen to see a small SC frame going out the door shipping to Trek Superstore in San Marcos CA, that is mine, just ordered it yesterday. It is going to be built up with the new Campagnolo Super Record 12 speed EPS group.

No problem!

We have a few SCs back in our Project One studio, hope you love yours!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have a Gen 1 seat post lying around (straight version, zero setback?) that they could be encouraged to part with for $? I\m guessing this isn't compatible? I don't think that's from a Trek SC is it? Maybe from the TTX?

What I'm looking for:
Thanks!
Last edited by: BikedPotato: Aug 20, 19 16:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I decided on the small anyway, price was WAY TOO GOOD to pass up and think my fitter can make it work. My LBS is seller but my fitter is 3 hrs away so getting as much info as possible before heading to him.
Deciding if integrated front is way to go or stick with current setup but add di2 and solid set of race wheels. Still in under pice of 2019 stock SC.
Any suggestions on getting di2 or etap to work on this setup?
Thanks again Mitch invaluable info
Pics to follow when finished

"There are no problems in life, just many leadership and learning opportunities." SED
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mxblues98 wrote:
Thanks for the info. I decided on the small anyway, price was WAY TOO GOOD to pass up and think my fitter can make it work. My LBS is seller but my fitter is 3 hrs away so getting as much info as possible before heading to him.
Deciding if integrated front is way to go or stick with current setup but add di2 and solid set of race wheels. Still in under pice of 2019 stock SC.
Any suggestions on getting di2 or etap to work on this setup?
Thanks again Mitch invaluable info
Pics to follow when finished

Happy to help!

Di2 would need some specialty parts, but your dealer would be able to order those depending on the setup you go for. eTap is the easiest to install, honestly. You don't need anything special and it is great for when you're traveling and need to remove the batteries for the flight!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just used foam sill sealer from the hardware store, comes in a 50' roll for about $4. https://www.menards.com/.../p-1444451015013.htm

If you wrap/insulate the chain stay, then removing the chain probably won't be necessary. I'm just paranoid of the chain banging/rubbing against the frame during transit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mitch,

I am wondering if you can help me find a part. I am looking for two cable holder set screws for my Bontrager Aero Brake levers that came on my speed concept... It is figure three in the manual linked below:

https://trek.scene7.com/...ero_Brake_Levers.pdf

A couple of months ago, I asked the local store if they could find those screws and install them during my tune up, but they didn't so I wanted to check here. Do you have a part number or know where I can order them?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:
Hey Mitch,

I am wondering if you can help me find a part. I am looking for two cable holder set screws for my Bontrager Aero Brake levers that came on my speed concept... It is figure three in the manual linked below:

https://trek.scene7.com/...ero_Brake_Levers.pdf

A couple of months ago, I asked the local store if they could find those screws and install them during my tune up, but they didn't so I wanted to check here. Do you have a part number or know where I can order them?

We don't stock these screws, but I can give you their size. They are M3x0.5 thread and 7mm long.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It this has been brought up before my apologies…….

The stem cover on the 2019 SC, not sure what you call it, that overs the Di2 junction box has two ports on either side of the cover. I'm assuming is so you can charge it and see the indicator lights on the junction box without taking the cover off. However if you have to take the cover off, say to replace the bearings that were only 6 months old (don't even get me started about why trek uses the worlds smallest bearings) its a HUGE PITA to get the junction box under the cover and the junction box lined back up with the ports on the cover.

After fighting this every time I gave up and had the junction box mounted on the top of the cover, which my shop said is pretty much the standard, and what I have seen on most SC.

When I bought the bike brand new, less than a year old now, box was mounted under the cover with no exposed wires and the box aligned with the cover ports. Maybe there was a elf that used magic to make that happen but most humans don't have that ability apparently.

So the question is...…...is this a normal problem, was this designed for the junction box to be mounted on the cover, and has there been any thought about making a new cover that can accommodate the junction box so this problem is solved?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
It this has been brought up before my apologies…….

The stem cover on the 2019 SC, not sure what you call it, that overs the Di2 junction box has two ports on either side of the cover. I'm assuming is so you can charge it and see the indicator lights on the junction box without taking the cover off. However if you have to take the cover off, say to replace the bearings that were only 6 months old (don't even get me started about why trek uses the worlds smallest bearings) its a HUGE PITA to get the junction box under the cover and the junction box lined back up with the ports on the cover.

After fighting this every time I gave up and had the junction box mounted on the top of the cover, which my shop said is pretty much the standard, and what I have seen on most SC.

When I bought the bike brand new, less than a year old now, box was mounted under the cover with no exposed wires and the box aligned with the cover ports. Maybe there was a elf that used magic to make that happen but most humans don't have that ability apparently.

So the question is...…...is this a normal problem, was this designed for the junction box to be mounted on the cover, and has there been any thought about making a new cover that can accommodate the junction box so this problem is solved?

Thanks

Mounting the box above the stem cover is the way to go and what I would recommend. Mounting it under looks good - but it does require you to align it back in as it isn't fit for it. You can mount it to the top with zip ties or by using the quick release plate and bolting it to the cover (best method). We won't have a redesigned cover coming out any time soon however as we've been running this one since 2014 with the same design without troubles.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Mitch...…...I went with the quick release plate and bolting it to the cover method.
Quote Reply

Prev Next