Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I’m curious about the wild card scenarios. Let’s say he races MT and misses a spot. Would his injury allow him to get an wildcard entry? Seems this would be exactly why you have that type of pathway if it still exists. It’s not as if he’s “faking” his way into not putting the racing load on his body he simply can’t do it yet.

Did not think about that, but I guess that is another way to get his slot for Kona. Hopefully he can nab a slot outright in Tremblant without too much cost leading into his Kona build.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CementBottle wrote:
I'm a bit late to this thread but I just watched his latest video on YouTube. Based on his TRUE recovery date starting April 2nd, he's almost 8 weeks into the recovery. His cycling restrictions have been lifted up to 240 watts, so it's not like he's not doing anything, I'm sure he's out there doing long rides at 240 watts which is at least maintaining some good cycling base. I'm confident his cycling power will return quickly once all cycling restrictions are lifted.
I'm not sure he'll be 3 minutes faster in his swim, but if he is only 1 minute faster, than he should be able to make main pack in Kona if he doesn't mess up his periodization like he did last year.
The key to the whole thing will be his running, how quickly will he be able to return to run form. He states twelve weeks for complete recovery before he can start running, which puts him early June. Leaves him a couple of months to prep for IM Tremblant to qualify, and hopefully he doesn't have to sacrifice too much of a taper for that race and can continue his training leading into Kona.

Very interested to see how this year turns out for him. For his sake, I think he needs to do Arizona this fall to secure the qualifying slot for next year, and not have the pressure on himself to get a Kona slot.

I just love hearing this type of stuff to really hammer home the difference between these guys and me.

I have a similar restriction at 240 watts but only because I can't breathe after about 5 minutes...
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [Hutch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that Lionel had 16-18 weeks to get ready for IM Texas after starting from reasonable shape at 70.3 Indian Wells and it still (likely) wasn't enough time to get in peak shape at double the distance. How is 12 weeks going to be enough //

What if 16 to 18 weeks is too much time, and 10 to 12 is his sweet spot? I cannot tell you how many athletes I knew that would just get into a hole, then dig further, all the while thinking they didn't have enough time. There was a woman who if she did more than 12 weeks, it was going to be a horrible race. But if she got injured or sick, and was forced to only have a couple/few months, she would crush it on race day. For a lot of people, having less time is a blessing, even if it is in disguise. I have a feeling Lionel is one of those people now...
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really like Lionel too. Sometimes I think I'm one of those who can't figure out why I'm hurt and doing so poorly, and then he shares this and I'm like "Yes, I can identify". His will to succeed and his average looking skill set has me filled with admiration. He's one of the most compelling stories in IM as he shares with us what he is going through and thinking

This is the kind of training/racing drama that will keep me following him and wishing him the best.

He is making best case scenario plans, like we might.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
Really like Lionel too. Sometimes I think I'm one of those who can't figure out why I'm hurt and doing so poorly, and then he shares this and I'm like "Yes, I can identify". His will to succeed and his average looking skill set has me filled with admiration. He's one of the most compelling stories in IM as he shares with us what he is going through and thinking. This is the kind of training/racing drama that will keep me following him and wishing him the best. He is making best case scenario plans, like we might.

After all of his OA wins and 2nd OA at Kona, how can you say "his average looking skill set"???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess he is talking about his technique, or lack of such. The way he runs, the way he rides his bike (and the way he swims?) from an aesthetic point of view. I think most people know how fast he is, but the way he rides the bike, and in particular the way he runs, is a limiter to going even faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
After all of his OA wins and 2nd OA at Kona, how can you say "his average looking skill set"???

Ha! True. I guess it's the way he looks while running that looks pretty average to me. I can't really see him swim in competition. He's locked into the bike so I can't fault him there. Yet, from what I remember Lionel looking like while running down the road "average looking" might be generous. OTOH Alistair doesn't look pretty either while running; yet, he's fast too.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders Injury Update (youtube video) [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like I was wrong. And since I'm a Sanders fan, I'm glad I was wrong. The man is a machine.
Quote Reply

Prev Next