Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [JCI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes....it fits fine. If placed as far forward in the dropouts it has a limited clearance and can make slight contact when you are out of the saddle and leaning off-center. I typically move mine back as far aft in the dropouts as I can and don't have issues with contact at all including high power sprinting where the bike is moving back and forth to both sides.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [jb4iu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is very helpful. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [kman74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much additional stack can be achieved utilizing spacers with the Ventum One? Are the bars easy to adjust?

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trismitty wrote:
How much additional stack can be achieved utilizing spacers with the Ventum One? Are the bars easy to adjust?

The base bar itself is not very adjustable. You cut the steerer tube to desired length, but from that point, the bar is where it is. With the additional stack spacers and the adjustability fore/aft, you can pretty much achieve any position. One of the most adjustable frames I've ever owned (and that is coming from a BMC TM01, which by itself it quite adjustable).

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I received my new Ventum last week, and I'd say the front end has very limited adjustability. Yes, you can move the poles and pads in or out, and stack up the pads or bars with spacers, but the poles are a fixed width and suck in a "flat" position, leaving wrists cocked down, elbows to narrow, hands too wide. Bars or poles cannot be angled up. Might work for some but not for me. I swapped out the pads to bring my elbows a bit wider which is more comfortable for my shoulder, but still feel like my hands are too wide and wrists cocked down at a funky angle. Might coincider a different solotion. Any advice while still keeping the tidiness of the front end?
Also...this sucker seems heavy! Am I fooled by all of the weight being concentrated in one place? Anyone know how the altered weight distribution will change the way it should be ridden?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [kman74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I am considering buying a Ventum. I would be replacing my current Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 2 (2016).

One of my major concerns is getting the Ventum onto my, or any, bike rack for transport. If the bike cannot go on my bike rack its a deal breaker.

I would like to see images of other peoples bikes on racks and how that has worked for you.

The bike rack that I do have is the Yakima Swingdaddy 4-bike hitch rack.

https://www.rackwarehouse.com/...VEAYYAiABEgLK1PD_BwE
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The majority of racks I've seen have no trouble accommodating the Ventum, assuming you take the main bottle off. The only place you may run in to trouble is with the seat tube strap. The top tube straps should be long enough to make it around the frame, but the seat tube strap could be a bit short to get around.

I have a client who racks her Ventum on the back of her car and she uses the two top tube straps with no problem, then uses a bungee in place of the seat tube strap to hold everything tight. Works great for her and she's drive it all over the place.

I can have her snap a photo next time it's mounted if you'd like. Happy to answer any other questions you may have as well. I've been a Ventum pro and a Ventum retailer for the past 3.5 years. Email is greg@TriBy3.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ventum Owners Thread [TriBy3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the reply.

Is there a material difference between the ergonomics, wrench-ability, and performance of the Ventum Z vs the Ventum One?

I, for example, already own a set of HED Jet Plus 5 & 9 wheels with a disc cover for the rear wheel. That being the case, buying a model with a carbon wheel set doesn't make much sense for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Overall I would say that the Z is easier to work on and more adjustable while the ONE has the aerodynamic upside.

The Z comes stock with 3T bars that give you more room to move up/down/forward/back. It also has the traditionally mounted front brake that is exposed (not behind a fairing) so it is much easier to get your hands on (literally).

The ONE has a faired front end and a semi-integrated cockpit so it is faster and, in my opinion, much sleaker looking. BUT, the brakes take a little work to get set up perfectly the first time. After having built roughly 40 of them up, I can knock everything out on the one with maybe 5-10 minutes more work, but it takes a little practice. If you are buying the Ventum direct through the website or through a dealer/partner like me, the bike comes assembled so you don't have to worry about that initial setup.

Both the ONE and the Z fork have standard 1 1/8th steer tubes so you always have the option of changing the front end. For instance, I have my bikes set up with Profile Design Aeria Ultimate aerobars. I wanted a bit much adjustability and I like riding with a steeply angled front end, so I swapped out the stock bars. If you had a set of bars you really like or you wanted to get the Z but get the aerodynamic benefits of the faired front end, you could throw on a different setup with no issues. I've done a number of these custom builds for people and they always come out great- gives it that personal touch with improved aerodynamics and comfort/adjustability.

So since you already have a great wheelset in the Heds, you could go with the base model of either the Z or the ONE with the training wheels. The Visions that come stock are super durable and you can beat them up through training then throw the 5/9s on when it's time to race.

Hopefully that answers your questions! Let me know if I can clarify or answer anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again for your help here.

There are a few more things that I find confusing. When I look at the Ventum Z Mechanical vs the Ventum Z Di2 setup, it appears that the only difference is the electronic shifting itself. Then I look at the price of the bikes Mechanical is $3,500 and Di2 is $5,500. I spoke with my mechanic and he said he could install Di2 for $1,500 including labor. What is Ventum doing here with the $2,000 markup on an AFTER MARKET $1,500 upgrade. Im am thinking of ordering the bike as mechanical and just upgrading to Di2 immediately to save the $500. In your experience will Ventum cut their price to account for this? I would rather not throw away parts.

I assume you mean adding something like the TriRig front brake system to save a few watts down the line as well. Which I could put that $500 towards.

Additionally, I want to use this bike for long course racing. There seem to be a few things that are leaving me scratching my head. The hydration system is a "closed" system. You cannot easily add fluids to the hydration system on the go from everything that I am reading. This is something that I can currently do with the from hydration system of my Giant Trinity. Moreover, without the down tube, there is not bottle to grab between the legs. I usually use my down tube bottle as my "gel bottle". I guess I could put my gel bottle behind the saddle and add an additional hydration system between the arms. I would love solutions for this.

Then we come to flat kit, how and where are people storing this on the bike? Would love to see some pictures of how everyone has problem solved on their own bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak to Ventum's pricing structure as I'm just a pro and retail partner. Getting a full Ultegra Di2 groupset for $1,500 strikes me as a really good deal (remember, the crank is an upgrade over the mechanical Z as well), so if your mechanic can do purchase and install for that, I'd say jump on it. In my personal experience with the sales I've done, Ventum isn't too keen on doing any discounting on the Zs because they are priced pretty low (relatively speaking) to begin with.

Alternatively you could get just the Z frame and then do the full build through your mechanic if they are able to source parts for really cheap for you. If you email me (greg@TriBy3.com), I can discuss options with you further.

I will definitely disagree about the "closed system" for the hydration though. It's incredibly easy to refill the 45 ounce bottle on the fly. It's just a little pop top directly below your chest, similar to a Torhans lid or any other front mounted hydration system. I pop the lid as I approach an aid station, grab a bottle, squirt it in, and toss the bottle before I'm through the station. I specifically went with Ventum because of the usability for long course racing. I run a standard bottle between my arms that is super concentrated with my nutrition and I just do water in the big tub that I refill throughout the course. Couldn't be simpler.

And for those that like to have some solid nutrition, the second generation of bottles (that all Ventums are sold with now) have bosses on the top that you can bolt a bento box directly in to.

If you are doing a gel bottle and a water bottle, just run the gel bottle BTA and the tub is your water. With 45 ounces you are only refilling a couple times through the race, depending on heat and sweat rates, so it's really the simplest system out there.

As for the flat kit, I've done a bit of everything with mine- Xlab storage bottle behind the saddle, flat kit taped up and stuck under the saddle, flat kit in the bento box on the bike, and a special tape job that holds my spare setup around my rear water bottle cage (when I race with a bottle behind me as well). It's a bit tough to see in the pic below, but I have nutrition between my arms, water in the black jug, and my spare kit under my saddle. If I were out on a training ride, I'd just strap a saddle bag to the saddle instead.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I remember that bike from Lake Placid this year, my first full distance Ironman ever. How did it turn out for you? I can tell you that Ironman is way harder than I had expected...especially the bike portion. 11:15 and done for me, battling shingles made it fun.

Its great to hear that you can refill the bottle on the go and you can just throw a bottle BTA or Torhans BTA and be good to go from there. This makes my purchase that much easier. I am being told that the Ventum One just won't fit me, but the Ventum Z will. Your advice on this has been very helpful.
Last edited by: LifeTri: Aug 15, 19 18:37
Quote Reply

Prev Next