Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Aug. 12 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Aug. 12 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't make goals last week because when I posted I was stressing over travel snafus. I did finally make it back to OK, but due to mechanical issues on a flight I missed a connector and spent Mon. night in Dallas.

M: 13.2 mi run
T: walked 4 mi
W: 7 mi run
T: 5.5 mi run + 2000 scm swim
F: 9.5 mi run
S: 4.8 mi run + 1275 yd swim
S: 7.2 mi run + 3.1 mi bike

I did the Sunday run outside in the Oklahoma heat. My body just isn't accustomed to that at all... I took a lot of walk breaks. (I'm totally fine with that; no sense getting a heat illness. The 7.2 miles is the run total, not sure how far I walked).

Goal for this week is to do my hip exercises 5x; do at least one run outdoors; bike at least 2x; swim at least 5x

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Monday, Ladies!

Thanks for getting us started Dr. TC, I hope you had a good week back in OK!

Sher, you'd best be bringing stories from your 70.3 this weekend! (spoiler alert- she's amazing)

I had a rest and test week. Run TT and bike FTP test with some smatterings of swim, a gravel adventure with a dear friend and teammate, and an OWS with my fiery female teammates yesterday. The good news is, I haven't slipped in fitness. In fact, I'm a little better in both the run and bike than where I was last time I tested six months ago, so yay. The bad news is all that testing and getting beat up in the water yesterday has worn me out. I am le tired, though I am probably at the point in training where I *should* be. In worse news though, my uterus is being all unstable and shit again, so my meds have been adjusted and I'm waiting to experience the fallout from that. Whee.

This week's focus: Back to the long grind

M- rest (YAY)
Tu- 2:05 run. Also annual checkup
W- 3500yd swim and conditioning. Also our 9 year wedding anniversary!
Th- 85min bike and 5mi run. Also big meeting for our cycling club's century next month
F- 30min recovery swim. Also my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary!
Sa- 70mi ride and 30min run brick
Su- 2800yd swim and 100min run

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you made it back in one piece, Dr. TC - eventually! Sounds like it was a PITA experience though. Were you able to do anything meaningful in Dallas, or just spend a night at the airport?

Sorry to hear your uterus is still being shitty, Dr Cupcake. I have a handful of chronic and autoimmune disorders and there is nothing like the havoc that your body can wreak on your plans.

I spent a super happy week doing mostly nothing! Rode a whopping 5 and a half miles round my neighbourhood on Friday night to test out a saddle I have on demo - fortunately the shop isn't in any hurry to get it back, since I've had it at least a month already. I also went out and rode a new trail on the old mountain bike yesterday. I am finding the trails are testing the limits of my current handling skills and fitness, plus giving me a whole array of new scratches, scrapes and bruises - very effective conversation starters! I'm loving it, and can't wait to get my N+1.

Also committed to backing myself out from oly to sprint for a race festival at the end of this month, and from 26.2 to 13.1 for my October race. I feel so much more at peace having made those decisions it's unreal. Allied to that, I stripped all of the red "you didn't do this" IMLP training out of my TrainingPeaks account for the last two months, so I'm essentially looking at a clean slate. I rebuilt my run training to get me from "I'm a lazy bum" to half marathon in 8 weeks, and now I just have to get the work done.

I'm signed up for a local 5K on Sunday, because a race is usually a good way to get me out of the door and I'm looking forward to checking out more new trails. I'm planning a couple of gentle 2 milers and maybe a 3 miler this week to remind myself how to run.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started Dr. Tigerchik -- glad you're safely in OK and good luck acclimating to the heat.
Dr_Cupcake, sorry you're still calibrating but glad your fitness is on track.
Scheherazade, I hope you had a great race!
UK2ME, sounds like you're making smart decisions and having fun in the dirt.

My plan last week was 3 bikes, 4 swims, and 4 runs for the week. I recovered pretty well from my race and got in my training -- highlights were a fun, social ocean swim and a really lovely, much needed yoga class. I'm traveling this week (and next week) so it's more of the same but with more dirt and trail for the bikes and runs.

Happy training y'all.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Aug. 12 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Also big meeting for our cycling club's century next month

obviously should be referred to as "meeting of the century"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
: slow clap :

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Aug. 12 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the shout-out Dr_C. Bummer about the uterus misbehaving again; hope you find a long-lasting solution soon. Sounds like everyone else has a solid plan for the week. SoCal - I admire how well you stick to your plan even when you are travelling! Dr TC - is your hip bothering you? UK2ME - how long until the N+1 arrives?

My A-race for the season was yesterday (Calgary 70.3) and I met my goal of coming in sub 6:30 with a 17 minute or so PB. It was a challenging race; it was raining in transition, through the swim and the early portion of the bike. I had seeded myself at the 45 minute sign for the swim and came in bang on target, which I was really pleased about. The bike was okay and I was on track to come in around 3 hours. With about 20k left to go on the bike I got a flat. Not a "maybe I can ride this back" flat, but a suddenly rim scraping along the tarmac flat. I had to execute my first on the road flat change and I was terrified that my inexperience would lead to a pinch flat and I would be hooped since I only had one spare tube with me. Luckily I made it back to transition and by the time I got there I had managed to banish all the negative thoughts that had popped up while I was on the side of the road. The run was possibly the biggest surprise of the day; I kept waiting to implode but it never happened and I ran it about 45s/mile faster than I had budgeted for.

Now I have a few days to rest and recover before a couple of weeks of bike focussed training to take me into my cross-Pyrenees trip next month.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Aug. 12 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your PB!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had no idea what your goal was, but I was following you on the live tracking (sorry - race stalking is a lot easier than actually racing) and was THRILLED when you were sub-6:30. Cause that would be the kind of goal I'd go for.

Sorry about the flat, but it sounds like it was a best case scenario. I had a similar thing happen in a sprint. I fixed it and finished the race, but mentally did NOT recover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is so epic. Dealing with a flat, getting your head back on right, AND setting a massive PR? WOOOHOOO! You are amazing! Congrats!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey y'all,

Thanks for starting this, TC, and so sorry for all the travel problems. That can really tank a week.

Cupcake, Ayayay your uterus! What's the problem? Come on uterus, get in line already! Glad you're happy with your fitness despite everything.

UK--I love your approach, retooling your goals and wiping out the red on Training Peaks. Sprints are halfs are so much fun! That's probably what I'll be focusing on for a while too.

SoCal, I'm glad you seem to be enjoying the recovery!

Sher: GO TEAM!!!! Ah, seems like you really nailed it! 6:30 with a flat is no freaking joke!

I had a good week, and then fell apart over the weekend. I set out on a "race simulation" on Saturday, and, well, I had some gas on the bike. My abdomen cramped like a mofo, and I had to abandon ship. That's the second time it happened, and I think I can examine some of my eating habits and adjust to avoid it in the fiuture. On Saturday,I waited a few hours and got a long bike in, but there was no brick. Then on Sunday I set out for my long run and just really wasn't feeling it. My legs were hurting in ways that gave me a bit of pause, and to be honest, with the semester starting next week, I'm struggling with work-life balance. I think burnout is encroaching a little. I'm not too worried about it--I've been pretty diligent, and healthy, since January. I'm a month out, so it makes sense to take a few days and stick my legs up and just check in with my body. I also think I just need to get through the start of the semester to see what it feels like to juggle all this while I'm teaching and professoring full time (I've been on research leave all this time).

This coming week, I have:

1 strength (done)
4 runs
3 bikes
2 swims

One of those runs in a half marathon on Sunday, which will be the longest run I've ever done.

Happy training and living all!

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Aug. 12 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks SoCal, Dr_C, GiantNewb and edbikebabe! My real life friends don't do tri so it's awesome to have a supportive bunch of online buddies.

edbikebabe - I'm a virtual stalker on occasion too. You've joined the select group that thusfar has been my mom and my sister so welcome to the family ;-)

GiantNewb - first time at a new distance = guaranteed PB. Go get it! (And yes, tracking nutrition can be super helpful for avoiding gut problems during workouts.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

Bwahahha, I just snorted at work. Thanks, Dr. TC!!

Congrats on a great race all round, Scheherazade! It looked great on Strava - even with the flat. I'm not sure I would have had the presence of mind to get the change done and not let it affect the rest of my day.

N+1 (which is a Juliana Furtado, in case I didn't share that in my excitement yet!) is released the 25th of this month - I decided to wait for the 2020 model because I wanted the 50T cog that the 1x12 gave me, but that meant no instant gratification. I am also funding this one by paring down the existing collection (getting rid of my stepson's unused mountain bike, my old mountain bike, and my husband's replaced gravel bike), so with the gravel bike still on the floor at the bike shop the new one will be on layaway until I find someone who wants to buy a Ridley.... or a kidney!!

In a total case of FOMO, Eagleman general registration opens at noon and all my bestest tri girlfriends are racing. AirBNB right down by the finish already reserved, the whole nine. I'm planning to go regardless, because I am great at cheering ;o) It is killing me trying to decide whether or not I want to try for it - it's a totally different type of course from either of my previous attempts (Chatty and Patriot in MA). I'll be trained for the Pineland 50K run a couple of weeks prior, and I plan to ride and swim regularly over the winter anyway so that's not actually that unreasonable. But, Year of the Sprint!!! Ugh..... Decisions.

GiantNewb, I think it's smart to take a few days and chill. Burnout is real, and it's insidious. Plus, work-life-tri balance is HARD sometimes. I hope your half goes well!

SoCal, I am pleased you got in a swim and a yoga class that sound like they both fed your soul. I am really embracing the idea that training doesn't have to look like VOMax intervals to be meaningful, and it sounds like you're really good at finding that balance in your own training.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Aug. 12 Edition [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks UK2ME, I've touched on this here before (and covered it ad infinitum on IG) but I learned this lesson the very hard way as a younger athlete. I dropped out of competitive sports for my most of my twenties after outrunning my love of running. When I returned to sports, I focused on finding that balance, getting strong and healthy, finding community, and keeping the joy (and some goofiness) in sport.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, womens!

Dr. T, glad you made it back safe and sound. Hopefully running in the heat is getting a bit easier for you.
Dr_C, sounds like solid training week for you. How frustrating that your uterus is still causing problems! Sincerely hoping you get that sorted out soon. Also hoping that your meeting of the century goes well, lol
UK2ME, a week of doing nothing sounds amazing! Glad to hear you are scaling down your goal races to save your sanity. I would love to try mountain biking but I trip over my own two feet so I don't think that would be smart, lol. Hope you have a great race Sunday!
SoCal, glad to hear recovery went well and you are back in the groove!
Scheherazade, what an awesome, awesome race! A 17-minute PB! With a flat!!!! I am seriously in awe. All that hard work is paying off. Great job!!!
GiantNewb, sounds like a rest will do you good. Hopefully you can get the GI issues sorted out. (Dairy? Gluten?) Good luck on your race!

It was a jam-packed week last week. I had a running evaluation on Wednesday which tl:dr I paid a lot of money to learn I run for crap. lol Long version: They covered me with reflective stickers and had me run on a treadmill for a few minutes to record my form from four different spots, then had me do all these flexibility moves to look for impingements and other bad stuff. Some good news is my glutes and core are strong, and my hand position, ankle joint mobility, and shoe choice are all good (I have very flat feet). Some bad news is I still heel strike and don't lean forward far enough (which explains the knee pain and chondral fissure from 2 years ago), my right foot especially pronates too much during the running motion (which could help explain a stress fracture I had on that side 8 years ago), my left hip drops pretty severely (which explains the SI pain and dysfunction I had 4 years ago and still have a bit of still) and my glutes don't fire ahead of my hamstrings (which explains the hamstring issues I've been having since last fall). So I have MORE PT exercises, this time focusing on single-leg, arch, and hip strength, and instructions to stretch and roll my calves and quads, which were both pretty tight. I am going to focus on becoming a stronger runner for the time being, leaning forward, landing midfoot, and firing my glutes. It was bananas the amount of data they could capture, measuring the angle of my shoulders to my ankle and it should be x when it is y and my foot rolls in a when it should be b... very interesting stuff! I'd really recommend getting an evaluation done if you have the opportunity and funds.

My sister-in-law and her husband were in town for a few days so I took Friday off, although I went for a bike ride beforehand -- I went to a much hillier spot than usual and was terrified of the descents... gotta get back into that habit. We hung out by the pool all afternoon and evening which was wonderful. On Saturday we did a sunset kayak tour of part of the Detroit River and the canals in the neighborhoods. It was definitely a good shoulder workout! haha. Sunday morning my husband and I did a fun 5K! We had literally no expectations or goals and it ended up being a good time, not too hot, my hamstring felt OK, and I was home and had the bacon pan going by 10:15. It was a great ending to a great week.

This week is much less exciting so far, thank goodness, although I did do an FTP retest on Monday and gained another 4 watts. Yay! Yesterday's trainer ride was extra painful but it feels good to be making some progress since I committed myself to regular trainer rides. I'm hoping to get in two more runs and an outdoor ride yet this week, and do a weights video and more of my new PT.

I hope you all are having a great week!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply