Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Deboer wetsuits [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
LOL, sure. Triathletes will buy anything. The sad thing is all the poor suckers who really can't afford something this expensive but will buy it anyway. 99% of us would benefit way more from better training than from expensive wetsuits. Dropping $1,500 on a wetsuit is so completely unnecessary. I think if someone showed up at an AG start line wearing one of those he/she might as well be wearing a sign on their forehead that said "TOOL". Surest thing to have people laugh at you, even if it makes you one minute faster (hilarious...).

As opposed to all the people with $4k wheel sets or $12k bikes?
Quote Reply
Re: Deboer wetsuits [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
LOL, sure. Triathletes will buy anything. The sad thing is all the poor suckers who really can't afford something this expensive but will buy it anyway. 99% of us would benefit way more from better training than from expensive wetsuits. Dropping $1,500 on a wetsuit is so completely unnecessary. I think if someone showed up at an AG start line wearing one of those he/she might as well be wearing a sign on their forehead that said "TOOL". Surest thing to have people laugh at you, even if it makes you one minute faster (hilarious...).

As opposed to all the people with $4k wheel sets or $12k bikes?

Perfect example. The same applies there. Triathletes are suckers for luxury goods, regardless of what they mean to actual performance. Which is the reason those 300 Breitling Ironman watches are probably already sold out. It’s a free country though. Everyone is entitled to be stupid with their money if they want to.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My $.02...

I tested the Fjord 1.0 in Lake Placid this past weekend. Twice. Then, after some serious internal debate, bought one and raced in it (one of their demo suits) on Sunday.

By way of background, I am a 3x ironman finisher with swim times of 1:30 at IMLP 2018, 1:45 at IMNZ 2019 and 1:26 at IMLP 2019. Roughly 18 months ago I couldn't swim 25yards without gasping for breath. One of my major swim issues is panic/anxiety. I had a habit of going out to hard, getting my HR elevated, hyperventilating and then having to stop and calm myself down, costing a few minutes. I would also get shoulder fatigue quickly, and then my mind would flash to how much further I had to go, and I would start thinking wasn't going to make it, and end up having to stop and calm myself down.

The deboer wetsuit was a pretty big game changer for me. I own a Roka Maverick Pro II Sleeveless and a Desoto T1, each of which I like for various reasons. (I can't say enough good things about DeSoto as a company, and the T1 as a suit, but the db is really a different beast.)

The Fjord really doesn't feel like I'm wearing a wetsuit. The suit was tight, tight enough that when I zipped it I expected to feel significantly constricted when I was "sealed up," but that never happened. Once I was zipped up the whole suit short of shifted into place seemed to disappear. The neckline is low and never made me feel constricted. The chest seemed to stretch in such a way that I could almost forget I was wrapped in all sorts of neoprene. The sleeves are almost imperceptible in the water and there was no difference in shoulder fatigue from the my sleeveless suit. I also never felt like I was overheating (a T1 concern... that thing gets pretty hot). In the water I think it's as buoyant as I need it to be. The T1 feels a bit more buoyant (could be my imagination), but I would almost trust that suit as a lifesaving device. The deboer is very flexible and comfortable overall.

I can't tell you if the suit was faster or not, but I can tell you that my IMLP 2019 swim was an underwater boxing match. WAY MORE THAN MY LAST TWO. I was punched multiple times, goggles knocked off my head twice, was forced underwater a few times and generally had to compete for every stroke (seriously, I couldn't find much water out there without getting trampled). In those circumstances, I would have expected a good amount of anxiety and potential panic.

I have to give the credit to the suit. I think it really kept my head in the game. Who would I pay $1500 for a just a wetsuit? No. Would I pay $1500 for peace of mind? I just did.
Last edited by: island rider: Jul 31, 19 7:56
Quote Reply
Re: Deboer wetsuits [island rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the detailed reply

Maybe if I was able to test the Deboer I would buy one.

I too have the DeSoto T1 as well as the same ROKA wetsuit

Both of them feel as you describe the Deboer. so my reason for buying would only be to go faster

If Deboer has a trial policy as other companies do I would order right away

Perhaps they will one day change their policy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
island rider wrote:
My $.02...

I tested the Fjord 1.0 in Lake Placid this past weekend. Twice. Then, after some serious internal debate, bought one and raced in it (one of their demo suits) on Sunday.

By way of background, I am a 3x ironman finisher with swim times of 1:30 at IMLP 2018, 1:45 at IMNZ 2019 and 1:26 at IMLP 2019. Roughly 18 months ago I couldn't swim 25yards without gasping for breath. One of my major swim issues is panic/anxiety. I had a habit of going out to hard, getting my HR elevated, hyperventilating and then having to stop and calm myself down, costing a few minutes. I would also get shoulder fatigue quickly, and then my mind would flash to how much further I had to go, and I would start thinking wasn't going to make it, and end up having to stop and calm myself down.

The deboer wetsuit was a pretty big game changer for me. I own a Roka Maverick Pro II Sleeveless and a Desoto T1, each of which I like for various reasons. (I can't say enough good things about DeSoto as a company, and the T1 as a suit, but the db is really a different beast.)

The Fjord really doesn't feel like I'm wearing a wetsuit. The suit was tight, tight enough that when I zipped it I expected to feel significantly constricted when I was "sealed up," but that never happened. Once I was zipped up the whole suit short of shifted into place seemed to disappear. The neckline is low and never made me feel constricted. The chest seemed to stretch in such a way that I could almost forget I was wrapped in all sorts of neoprene. The sleeves are almost imperceptible in the water and there was no difference in shoulder fatigue from the my sleeveless suit. I also never felt like I was overheating (a T1 concern... that thing gets pretty hot). In the water I think it's as buoyant as I need it to be. The T1 feels a bit more buoyant (could be my imagination), but I would almost trust that suit as a lifesaving device. The deboer is very flexible and comfortable overall.

I can't tell you if the suit was faster or not, but I can tell you that my IMLP 2019 swim was an underwater boxing match. WAY MORE THAN MY LAST TWO. I was punched multiple times, goggles knocked off my head twice, was forced underwater a few times and generally had to compete for every stroke (seriously, I couldn't find much water out there without getting trampled). In those circumstances, I would have expected a good amount of anxiety and potential panic.

I have to give the credit to the suit. I think it really kept my head in the game. Who would I pay $1500 for a just a wetsuit? No. Would I pay $1500 for peace of mind? I just did.

Hey, if you've got $1,500 to burn for "peace of mind" then by all means go ahead. However, it seems crazy to me that someone who is an experienced triathlete with 3 IM's under his belt needs "peace of mind" to be provided by a wetsuit. IMO there are much better ways to spend that money but I probably don't have the discretionary income that you seem (hopefully) to have.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
island rider wrote:
Hey, if you've got $1,500 to burn for "peace of mind" then by all means go ahead. However, it seems crazy to me that someone who is an experienced triathlete with 3 IM's under his belt needs "peace of mind" to be provided by a wetsuit. IMO there are much better ways to spend that money but I probably don't have the discretionary income that you seem (hopefully) to have.

You'd have to experience it to believe it. Claustrophobia coupled with a general lack of swim confidence can be a killer. Literally.

That said, some of my fast friends have tried it out and are were impressed by it as well.
Last edited by: island rider: Jul 31, 19 12:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:

Triathletes are suckers for luxury goods, regardless of what they mean to actual performance. Which is the reason those 300 Breitling Ironman watches are probably already sold out. It’s a free country though. Everyone is entitled to be stupid with their money if they want to.

Not sold out yet if you were wondering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
island rider wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
island rider wrote:

You'd have to experience it to believe it. Claustrophobia coupled with a general lack of swim confidence can be a killer. Literally.

That said, some of my fast friends have tried it out and are were impressed by it as well.

at the same time as being more comforable/confident, also a small improvement in time under what sound like pretty difficult and "peace of mind" destroying circumstances so thats not a bad return on $1500 compared to what it might get you on a bike

the demo program will be important though. you were able to try the suit and realise that for you at least it is worth the cost. for me, i doubt i'll ever be able to pre-purchase swim in any wetsuit here, let alone something as exclusive as a deboer. am i going to pay that much of a premium buying through the website? no.

whereas bikes are reasonably well defined and you can check your fit based on a geometry chart and buy online, wetsuits are so individual fit specific that i see it being a struggle for deboer to break into the market properly. maybe they have enough profit per suit they don't need to hit a wide market
Quote Reply
Re: Deboer wetsuits [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think for $1500 they would do a body scan and build it to fit....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think your were taking off the wetsuit when I was trying it on. I saw you put on the Desoto after you took off the Deboer. Funny how I came away completely unimpressed and I am a similar speed and similar in terms of when I first started swimming. Good luck. I get everything you wrote about what happens to you in a race. If the Deboer solves that then you got your monies worth.
Quote Reply
Re: Deboer wetsuits [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:

Both of them feel as you describe the Deboer. so my reason for buying would only be to go faster

I work for deboer. If you happen to be at Ironman Mont Tremblant this year I will have our demo set of wetsuits, and I'd be happy to arrange a demo - we already have a couple tri clubs lined up. Also, on the off chance you are in Southern Ontario (I live in Toronto) I am arranging demos for some local clubs over the next couple weeks and would be happy to have you join. At $1500 I understand your desire to test the wetsuit, we are working at expanding the reach of our demo events.

Right now Monty has one of our wetsuits to test, and I've also been in touch with Herbert and a wetsuit have been sent to a wetsuit tester he uses. 220 Triathlon and Triathlete Magazine also have wetsuits they're testing. and Triathlon World both tested our wetsuit when we did a demo event in Roth this year. If you speak French, TriMax had a short write-up in their last issue and we expect a more complete write-up soon. From our demo events we have got a lot of feedback from people that they get all the benefits from the buoyancy of a wetsuit, but feel like they aren't wearing anything.

We are currently running a contest on Instagram to give away a Fjord 1.0 wetsuit, so if you enter that's another way you can get you hands on one to try it for yourself!
Quote Reply
Re: Deboer wetsuits [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daniel Clarke wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

I work for deboer. If you happen to be at Ironman Mont Tremblant this year I will have our demo set of wetsuits, and I'd be happy to arrange a demo - we already have a couple tri clubs lined up. Also, on the off chance you are in Southern Ontario (I live in Toronto) I am arranging demos for some local clubs over the next couple weeks and would be happy to have you join. At $1500 I understand your desire to test the wetsuit, we are working at expanding the reach of our demo events.

Right now Monty has one of our wetsuits to test, and I've also been in touch with Herbert and a wetsuit have been sent to a wetsuit tester he uses. 220 Triathlon and Triathlete Magazine also have wetsuits they're testing. and Triathlon World both tested our wetsuit when we did a demo event in Roth this year. If you speak French, TriMax had a short write-up in their last issue and we expect a more complete write-up soon. From our demo events we have got a lot of feedback from people that they get all the benefits from the buoyancy of a wetsuit, but feel like they aren't wearing anything.

We are currently running a contest on Instagram to give away a Fjord 1.0 wetsuit, so if you enter that's another way you can get you hands on one to try it for yourself!

When will you be in Orlando?
Quote Reply
Re: Deboer wetsuits [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to say thanks to the Deboer rep Daniel who took time to let me try one of the suits today at IMMT.

I don't know if its the perfect suit for me or not, but I gotta say, it was damn impressive. Way more shoulder flex than not only other one piece suits I've tried (roka maverick, b70 helix, huub arch), but more than my Desoto as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty

Monty

Monty

Said as an encouraging cheer

😀
Quote Reply
Re: Deboer wetsuits [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a two-piece, I find the De Soto top surprisingly inflexible. I have bad shoulders so this matters to me. I find Roka the most flexible I have tried. I’d be open to trying something else, but I’m certainly not paying $900, let alone $1500, for a wetsuit.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Aug 17, 19 10:29
Quote Reply
Re: Deboer wetsuits [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried the Orca Alpha? I don't know why people don't rave about that suit up and down, it has the most flexible shoulders of any suit I've worn by a mile. I'm surprised Roka and Blue Seventy haven't emulated whatever material Orca uses on the Alpha.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Deboer wetsuits [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:
Have you tried the Orca Alpha? I don't know why people don't rave about that suit up and down, it has the most flexible shoulders of any suit I've worn by a mile. I'm surprised Roka and Blue Seventy haven't emulated whatever material Orca uses on the Alpha.

I think that material is exclusive to orca and the reason why most don’t try the alpha is because they need more buoyance in the legs. That said, the predator uses the same material in the arms, 0.8 mm thick and indeed ultra flex. So next week i can compare it to a deboer which i get to test it.

Really looking forward to see if there is a big difference between the 2.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Deboer wetsuits [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the GTN video the way Frazier shows the sleeves they look to be a very similar material to the Orca Alpha. I haven't used the predator, but if it's got the same arms it should be a huge hit. Not sure how Deboer is doing since I haven't raced since Texas this year, but if I see a few at the start line I'll know they're doing well (The margin on those suits has to be incredible). I'm still in awe of Roka and how quickly they blew up. Go to any race and you'll see Roka's scattered around as though it was the only choice available.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Deboer wetsuits [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:
In the GTN video the way Frazier shows the sleeves they look to be a very similar material to the Orca Alpha. I haven't used the predator, but if it's got the same arms it should be a huge hit. Not sure how Deboer is doing since I haven't raced since Texas this year, but if I see a few at the start line I'll know they're doing well (The margin on those suits has to be incredible). I'm still in awe of Roka and how quickly they blew up. Go to any race and you'll see Roka's scattered around as though it was the only choice available.

Blue Seventy ALL DAY!! They are indestructible. I couldn’t kill the one I brought in 2014 so I cut the legs and use it for sprints. I wear the reaction, second from their best. The Helix. You can get the Reaction for sub $400. I’ve done half’s and fulls with it and no shoulder issues. I love it! Anyone paying $1500 for a wetsuit is a sucker!
Quote Reply
Re: Deboer wetsuits [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
Does anyone know anything about Deboer wetsuits?

They've got Frodo selling their wares, so they must be reasonable. And if competition makes Roka wetsuits a little cheaper...

I had the opportunity given by Alex de Boer, owner of the company, to try the wetsuit. I tried the Fjord and it is indeed very forgiving in the shoulders, but not more so as for example the Orca Predator or Alpha which material used in the arms/shoulder area is very similar as used in the Deboer wetsuit.

However, the whole wetsuit feels flexible and the DuraFlex material is pretty strong and I pulled hard, but again, it feels very similar to the Orca's.

My main issue was that I had a pretty big gap on the back that acted like a giant waterscoop while swimming. Whatever we tried to get the neck to close it just didn't seem to work. This might be just my bodycomposure. I have a bit rounded back and shoulders, but I don't have any issues in the Predator or in other wetsuits. I got a size MT, with 75 kg/ 183 cm tall. I found the back of the suit on the short side and I couldn't pull it up any further without castrating myself. But that might also be the cause of the scoop on the back. That the back panel is just too short for me.
But overall if felt a bit big

The size chart reads there should be a size ST but it was not possible to order that when you look at the wetsuits in the shop. I asked the owner but he didn't conform to me yet if it is really available.
For sure the back will be most likely too short as well, but would like to try anyway.

Due the big scoop on the neck I didn't even try to do a speed test, but I don't think it will be much or faster at all like something else like the Orca Predator / Alpha or any other same level suit.

But if it fits you well it doesn't probably won't hurt you either :-). Perhaps just in the wallet :-):-)

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
For a two-piece, I find the De Soto top surprisingly inflexible. I have bad shoulders so this matters to me. I find Roka the most flexible I have tried. I’d be open to trying something else, but I’m certainly not paying $900, let alone $1500, for a wetsuit.

Try the newly released Kiwami Swift. Just had my first race in it and it blew all I've used previously away. I have a number of very high end suits, including a Maverick X. I found the Limestone rubber used in the suits and the airdome panels were amazingly pliable and placed in just the right spots. I know Craig from Kiwami spent 3 years working on it, and the time spent has created a great suit. One thing I really noticed given the recent issues of claustrophobic feeling in the chest was the Swift neck was low cut and I felt absolutely no restriction or compression in my chest. The suit fit like a second skin and the soft rubber really made it comfortable. Try it out and save the hundreds of dollars.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Deboer wetsuits [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Save hundreds off what? Lol. I have a wetsuit right now that isn’t currently costing me anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Off the DeBoer you were buying. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Daniel Clarke wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:

Monty have you tested the suit yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Deboer wetsuits [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We haven’t heard anything from Monty yet.
Quote Reply

Prev Next