Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Super League Ottawa?
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this is an April Fool's joke (the whole part about swimming in the Rideau Canal certainly has that flavor...), but I saw on Instagram that Super League is allegedly holding a qualifier series race in Ottawa in August... It also looks like Penticton has disappeared from their list...

The info is all over their website, which makes me more skeptical that this is a hoax, and I had heard rumors of an additional Ottawa event being added to the tri calendar from some reputable sources... It's just the swim in the rideau canal bit that has me thinking this might be an april fool's prank...
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Ottawa? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appears to be legit, there's a legit registration page and all set-up...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had heard there was a possibility of it coming to Ottawa.
My guess is that they will use a similar course as the Canadian Champs in 2016, 2017. Rideau Canal = Dow's Lake. Although their map is centered @ Lansdowne.
Enduro looks interesting, an option to Kingston on the same weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
whoa... swimming in the Canal?? I'm not sure I would want to swim in it, during the last construction to fix canal walls they discovered toxic substances in the canal!

here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is awesome i'm going to do the age group Swim-Bike-Run-Swim-Bike-Run. Hopefully Eugene Melnyk is no where near this.
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Ottawa? [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was my guess as well, that they likely meant Dow's instead of the canal... Effectively the set-up used for the second year that the Canadian Champs were in Ottawa (the year the super sprint/sprint model was used), would be basically perfect for Super League (with possibly a shorter bike and run loop for more laps...).

Kind of shitty it's the same weekend as K-Town (I know that K-Town is long course, and this is not, but there are only so many age groupers around...), and shitty that it looks like this is instead of Penticton, rather than in addition to... (I assume they got gun shy of being smoked out again by forest fires...).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this is an April Fool's joke

I can confirm via email correspondence with Super League's new Director of Operations Michael Brown, from just a few minutes ago that this is legit!

Interesting and very good development for Super League, for Canada and for triathlon.

I've said this before - this short style of triathlon racing, which Super League obviously features, is hopefully going to get a real shot in the arm next year via the inclusion in the Olympic Games in Tokyo for the first time the Mixed Triathlon Relay.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took the USA squad to the Ottawa ITU CC Cup when it was Semi/Final weekend that year. That venue made the racing really legit and you have the ability to change it up (if you wanted) like they did with that year where the bike/run course were switched on Sunday.

That hill that you have to go up is no joke and if any wind, can make some good racing action.

If it's at that venue you guys will have a great time and super great spectator friendly!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Ottawa? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been to many races from the conti cup, WTS, an various world champs, and the way we nailed the set-up for that Ottawa CAMTRI race was a work of art... seamlessly stringing heats back to back with the split transitions was brilliant... Super psyched that Super League is hitting O-town... it'll be nice for the GTA folks to travel down to us for once, instead of vice versa... Hopefully there will be an awesome turnout, just shitty it clashes with K-Town...

Curious why they haven't said a word about the move from Penticton, just that this popped up, and Penticton disappeared from their calendar...

For those considering, there's a 20% discount on entries until April 15th...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi All

Penticton is still as planned, nothing has changed. Albeit the website's are a little confusing. Penticton has it's own separate website. It can be found here https://superleaguecanada.com/

Ottawa is in addition to the 2019 schedule.The maps are up for Ottawa and the swim is in the canal itself, not in Dow's.

If any of you have seen the SuperLeague format before live and in person, you know how exciting it is. For those of you who haven't, you are in for a treat. If nothing else come out and watch, but better yet sign up.
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Ottawa? [Codeweaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, the main age group page on the super league site says enduro distances are 350/10/2.5 x2. It said something similar a week or so ago on the Ottawa race page, and on the registration. Now, on the Ottawa page it says the enduro is 750/20/5 x2. That’s a pretty big discrepancy... turns it from a real multi- super-sprint into basically a chopped up Oly. Do you know if these latest distances are final for the enduro? Was hoping to enter with the discount today, but not interested unless it’s at the originally listed enduro AG distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Ottawa? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I cannot help you with your question. I am just an outsider looking in who participated at Penticton last year and plan on doing so again this year along with Ottawa. Your best bet would be to contact the organizers directly.
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Ottawa? [Codeweaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks... tried that, haven't heard anything back yet. And the contact page on the superleague site is broken (I get an error every time I try to send a message... been like that for a few days at least).
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Ottawa? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I contacted Super League.
The distances in Ottawa for the Enduro are the currently listed setup. 750m-20km-5km X2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They added a sprint enduro option, 2x(350m swim - 10km bike-2.5km run). There's still time to sign up (closes tomorrow I believe) online. Anyone interested in checking it out, but not racing (or after racing), they are looking for volunteers, which gets you a front row seat for the action... Course looks fast and furious (both the AG and elite courses). No double up options for age groupers, since they have consolidated all of the AG options onto Sunday Morning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Penticton cancelled so why not add more fun

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Ottawa? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guessing the Penticton race was stopped since they are getting Ironman back. I’d love it if more races would switch things up. I think it’d be a fun change from the norm. I wanted to make it up to Penticton to race but it never quite worked with my work schedule

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wish I was going to be there to watch. My daughter is doing the elite women' race and is excited to try racing this format.
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Ottawa? [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully it goes well for her, the numbers aren't massive for the elite fields, but there are some strong athletes on the lists.

https://superleaguetriathlon.com/...tawa-pro-startlists/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
Hopefully it goes well for her, the numbers aren't massive for the elite fields, but there are some strong athletes on the lists.

I'll take Van Der Kaay and Perkins for top 2.

And LePage and Baillie for the men - they lay over the field.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My daughter was happy to be added to the startlist and excited to see how it goes against some Commonwealth games and Olympic athletes. That is why I am disappointed to not be there to watch..... and maybe try the age group version since it it such a different format than any race I've done in 30 seasons of triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Ottawa? [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scotttriguy wrote:
Trauma wrote:

I'll take Van Der Kaay and Perkins for top 2.

And LePage and Baillie for the men - they lay over the field.

It's basically home course advantage for Lepage, since he's from Gatineau across the river... It'll be an interesting race for the 3 tickets, there are some strong guys, and the bike and runs are fairly technical through Landsdown Park... It looks like it will stay hot but without rain for the weekend (40% T-Storms saturday, 29C, 26C and sunny on Sunday). On the ladies side, my guesses are the tickets will like go to some combination of McShane, Van Der Kaay, Perkins, Boutin, Findlay...
Quote Reply
Re: Super League Ottawa? [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan wrote:
My daughter was happy to be added to the startlist and excited to see how it goes against some Commonwealth games and Olympic athletes. That is why I am disappointed to not be there to watch..... and maybe try the age group version since it it such a different format than any race I've done in 30 seasons of triathlon.

Allan

Unfortunately I will miss doing the age group race and watching as I am going to Tremblant for the 12km lake crossing swim. Best of luck to both of your daughters in their respective "races".

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great racing! Hopefully they are back next year and more people sign up. On the pro side, the golden tickets went to Charlotte McShane, Nicole Van der Kaay and Desirae Ridenour, and on the guys side it was Ryan Bailee, Aiden Longcroft-Harris & Michael Arishita. Great unpredictable racing (the women's eliminator got shaken up by a DSQ taking out Bouchez). All of the age groupers loved it, despite the 6am start time (and the pontoon dive start, which spooked a few folks). Great venue, great event!
Quote Reply

Prev Next