Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge
Quote | Reply
New 70.3 announced today for the hometown
https://m.ironman.com/....aspx#/axzz5vANlEV3I
Last edited by: Willi3ja: Jul 30, 19 7:09
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [Willi3ja] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any word on where they would do the swim in that area?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [SnowChicken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard they’re finally going to let people swim in Carvin’s Cove. Haven’t seen the official course maps yet. And not sure they going to let anyone swim there other than race day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Willi3ja wrote:
I heard they’re finally going to let people swim in Carvin’s Cove. Haven’t seen the official course maps yet. And not sure they going to let anyone swim there other than race day
https://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#axzz5vAeUdrxv
Course descriptions are up at least. Would love for this to have a pro field so I could race close to home but I doubt it!

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This might be a great alternative to Quassy for anyone training for IMLP. No way this course will be flat.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [Ironfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does this replace IM 70.3 in Williamsburg?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It won't be flat for sure but the course description does say the bike has a 300ft net downhill as it is a point to point. So likely still fairly fast.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard the bike course won’t be that bad. For all the hills and mountains we have around here I was hoping they’d go hard and show some of the scenery from the tops/ridges but I don’t think that’ll be the case
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [iainyoung8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iainyoung8 wrote:

Looks like it. I don't see Williamsburg on the site anymore
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [bulldog15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bulldog15 wrote:
iainyoung8 wrote:

Yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BlackStumpGumby wrote:
bulldog15 wrote:
iainyoung8 wrote:

Yes.

Word travels fast. All of the Hilton properties in Roanoke are booked. I got a room in Salem.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in Virginia and spent a lot of time in the Blue Ridge Mountains. This is really exciting for me. I wish it was a full.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There’s a Spring Hill suites that’s right by the finish area. I would certainly avoid the Ramada down that that way.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Point to point bikes have come to be a bit of a deal breaker for me. As tempting as a net downhill bike is, too many logistics to put my SO through trying to chase me around all weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [Hingus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or the fam can sleep in and not feel obligated to get up early and stand around while you pump up your tires and lube your crevices. It appears the swim start and finish are only about 11 miles away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Parents live in Floyd so I am def in. Bring the camper van up so no need for hotels and can sleep right by transition!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How has this announcement been so quiet??? Seems like a very desirable destination really well centered to some pretty good sized tri communities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hingus wrote:
Point to point bikes have come to be a bit of a deal breaker for me. As tempting as a net downhill bike is, too many logistics to put my SO through trying to chase me around all weekend.

Leave the SO at home. As much as you probably think otherwise, the SO really doesn't want to be there anyway........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am blessed with a family that is too supportive for their own good. They want to be there the whole time. I end up feeling bad/stressed about it. Easy enough to pick races that are easier on spectators than not so its disappointing when new races come out at point to point, like this and Tulsa.
Last edited by: Hingus: Jul 30, 19 11:22
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Hingus wrote:

Leave the SO at home. As much as you probably think otherwise, the SO really doesn't want to be there anyway........

It depends on the SO. Mine just wants the swim to start already so that he can get on his MTB and ride the trails.

P.S. Isn't St. George a net downhill bike as well?

Janyne
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [jmkizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roanoke is rated IMBA silver and Carvin’s Cove (swim site) has an extensive mountain bike trail system. There are more trails up the mountain by the finish area, with lots of “back country” riding and very old horse trails as well.

And just because it’s a net downhill doesn’t mean there won’t be some rollers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same weekend as eagleman?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way cool. My dad grew up in Roanoke and I aged in Lexington. It was so small back in the day that I had to go to Roanoke to see an orthodontist. Love the Valley. Miss it. Went back for a reunion earlier this summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hingus wrote:

After doing Santa Rosa 70.3 this weekend (also point to point) I'm 100% in agreement. Never doing that again.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Virginia’s Blue Ridge [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I’m still not following. Parking is very limited at the reservoir so I doubt anyone will be allowed to park there, and they’ll most likely running shuttles. So everyone rides over to swim start. Then spectators would catch one back to River’s Edge park where presumably T2 will be (13 miles away). They can see you come in on the bike and then its most likely going to be a run on the greenway with the finish very close to where the run started. The finish line isn’t going to be 13.1 miles from T2.
One of the problems with course design here is finding a place to swim, and they managed to get a special one day permit. The reservoir is at the end of a 1.5/2 lane backroad, so there weren’t really any other options than starting the race there and then letting it end by the river in the vicinity of downtown where there’s plenty more things to do.
Last edited by: Willi3ja: Jul 30, 19 17:29
Quote Reply

Prev Next