Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Regain faith on fast descends with tri bike [CerveloP5-Fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the descents that you have issue with on your tri bike pretty much straight or nearly straight? Or, are they technical with lots of turns?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Regain faith on fast descends with tri bike [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Are the descents that you have issue with on your tri bike pretty much straight or nearly straight? Or, are they technical with lots of turns?

Good point here. To clarify: It's just about straight (full speed) descents.
Quote Reply
Re: Regain faith on fast descends with tri bike [CerveloP5-Fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's almost impossible to be as comfortable descending on the TT bike. Everything is off- weight distribution is too far forward (which makes tight, shapr hairpins super sketchy), braking is subpar (unless you have a disc brake TT bike or a model with standard brakes), and you have way less control on the bullhorns than on the drops. Coming down a technical descent, I'll always be slower on my TT bike (P4) than the road (Venge disc), even with super tucking and cornering aggressively.

With the TT bike, you want to take advantage of the bike's strengths and mitigate the weaknesses. I try to brake conservatively so that I don't feel my weight too far over the front wheel (I also push down with my legs and hands to shift weight back). With braking conservatively, I'll aim to take a tighter line through corners (especially hairpins) and really hit the apex. Then, make up your speed by accelerating aggressively as you exit the corner. On straight lines, accelerate to top speed quickly and super tuck (it's less table without the drops, so rotate your wrists 90 degrees to face outwards, which gives you more control). My TT bike has a horizontal top tube, so that helps counteracts the handling determent of not having the drops.

The biggest thing though is to practice on descents which aren't super technical or dangerous to get your confidence up. Even on a short downhill, practice super tucking for 15 seconds, then 30, and so on. When you make turns on the road, practice taking those corners faster and using proper cornering technique. Then when you are on a fast technical descent, it won't feel so foreign and uncomfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Regain faith on fast descends with tri bike [mikeridesbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello mikeridesbikes and All,

https://www.wsj.com/...upertuck-11563699600

https://www.newsy-today.com/...cling-the-supertuck/

Excerpts:

Said “super dangerous,” Team Ineos, director of Nicolas Portal. “You have to be really confident.”

American bicycle maker Specialty tried to test it with a wind tunnel test in 2014. This was the part that was not surprising: the site was rising about 10% faster than it continued from the saddle with hands at the brakes, according to the leader of innovation and engineering company, Chris Yu.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply

Prev Next