Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? July 22 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you and how was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 22 Edition [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting us started, Dr. Tigerchik -- hope you're beating the heat.

My goals were as follows:
[T]his week I'll run two more times, swim four times, and eventually get back on my bike. I have a meaty run workout midweek (The most important and exciting thing I'm doing this week is guiding a visually impaired athlete at the Paratriathlon National Championships.

I skipped one of my swims and downgraded a bike workout to an easy spin but it was a great week because I guided a visually impaired athlete to the podium. Thanks to everyone who sent a nice note -- it really was one of the most rewarding things I've done! Lots of pictures on the 'gram but here's one with her big check. She's a fantastic athlete and I absolutely loved the experience.

This week I'm traveling for work -- I have four bikes, four runs, 3 swims, and a rest day I'm seriously looking forward to. I have a race in two weeks and am ready to shed some fatigue.

I hope everyone has a great week, thank you for all the nice notes about guiding!

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Last edited by: SoCalTricurious: Aug 12, 19 8:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy Monday Ladies! Hope everyone is staying cool and safe out there.

I raced this weekend. It was supposed to be an oly distance triathlon but apparently holding that distance on the surface of Mercury gives local officials pause. It could have been worse, it could have been NYC which was canceled outright. But to spend that much effort and energy for...a sprint? On the hottest day of the year? Bleh. I still did it, and I did pretty well all things considered. The heat index was 108F when I finished, at like 9:50am, which was utter freaking bullshit. But! I saw my first triathlon finish line of the year, which I told myself I'd crawl to if I had to (thankfully I did not) and got to spend the day with IronBae, which made it all worth it.

Other goings-on...my hormone levels are in the shitter. They are lower than when they were when I relapsed back in December. I'm seeing my endo on Friday this week, and we need to formulate a better plan. I'm terrified my training is causing this, because if it is it means I can't train. And that would suck mightily. I'm trying not to think about it and I'm just going to keep moving forward with training for IMMD until I'm told not to. Coach and I have dialed back on the intensity and are just focusing on easy, but long volume sessions for now.

Goal for the week- build

M- rest
Tu- 2hr recovery bike and 20min recovery swim
W- 2hr run
Th- 75min trainer ride and 4mi run
F- 3000yd swim
Sa- 70mi ride and 20min run brick
Su- 2800yd swim and 90min run

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 22 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work SoCal! I saw your instagram post; the details of how you actually guided and communicated are pretty cool. Congratulations to you both!

My goals were: 3 x swim, 4 x bike, 4 x run, 2 x strength and compliance wasn't great this week. I skipped a swim and a strength session, cut short some of the biking and had an absolute meltdown on Thursday night. Oh well, onward.

This week: more of the same. We're currently under a heat warning and given how hot the pool was this morning, it should be too. I am kind of tempted to sign up for the new (old) IMC in Penticton but I don't think I'm ready for just how far 140.6 is. (And how long it will take me.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the pic, that's so cool!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 22 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Other goings-on...my hormone levels are in the shitter. They are lower than when they were when I relapsed back in December. I'm seeing my endo on Friday this week, and we need to formulate a better plan. I'm terrified my training is causing this, because if it is it means I can't train. And that would suck mightily. I'm trying not to think about it and I'm just going to keep moving forward with training for IMMD until I'm told not to. Coach and I have dialed back on the intensity and are just focusing on easy, but long volume sessions for now.

Congrats on the finish. My fingers are crossed for your endo appt. Would it mean you can't train at all, or might you be able to do shorter stuff / lower volume / single sport? I totally know that's not what you want to do, I am just curious. I don't know anything about hormones really.

Last edited by: Dr. Tigerchik: Jul 22, 19 14:45
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 22 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have ZERO fitness and still casually thought about signing up for IMC. It's just such an epic race with so much history!

Congrats again on the guiding SoCal - what an awesome experience.

Sorry about the hormone issues Dr. C - hopefully it's a problem that can be remedied. Do what you can to keep from too much "worst case scenario" thinking.

I'm super duper enjoying TWO consecutive days without rain. The first in the past 35 days. My pasty pale, bruised and bitten legs should not be let out in the wild, but I can't help it. I have binged on all the summer things the last two days - eating outside on our new deck, family bike ride to the playground, ice cream and a fun (but slow) lunch ride today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great racing out there on Saturday... I was out there with you ... wearing a slowtwitch kit, I finished just before one of the visually impaired women, so some of the finisherpix have them putting up the tape right behind me. That was the most well organized races I have seen at that site, loved how they put the mat down so we didn't have to run so far on the sand. As for me I ended up 14th in my age group out of about 25 finishers, a friend passed me about 1/4 mile before the finish line- she ended up 13th. Still working on getting the race numbers off.

As for this week... time to get back into workout groove.. swim 3x, bike 2-3x, run ?? (at least once...suppoose to be very hot here this week)

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 22 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's do it! Then we can spend the next 405 days commiserating with each other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

Congrats on the finish. My fingers are crossed for your endo appt. Would it mean you can't train at all, or might you be able to do shorter stuff / lower volume / single sport? I totally know that's not what you want to do, I am just curious. I don't know anything about hormones really.

Thank you. I don't know what it would mean yet. I am not dusting and vacuuming that headspace to make it presentable right now. I would be in a different mindset right now had I been doing tris for much longer than I have, and especially hadn't just come from a two-year block of looking, feeling, and performing the best I ever have in my life to have it all ripped away pretty suddenly. I know that probably sounds ungrateful, and to a large extent it is, but doing this and doing this well are things that make me happy and sane. Being in this awful gelatinous zone of limbo and suck is driving me mad. If I drop to short course it would mean giving up on a huge life goal, and if I switched back to single-sport I'd still want to push, and pushing is punishing on me in this state. Just, argh. Thanks for letting me vent.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 22 Edition [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it doesn't sound ungrateful. Your feelings are totally valid.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah Dr C sorry as per hormones.

SoCal- so cool

So now it's 4 wks 5 days to O O B 70.3 and my whole thought process around it has shifted and shifted. I was so scared of the swim and now I have a healthy respect for it but no terror. I was so daunted by the bike ride but now that I (FINALLY) can eat and drink without stopping I am not so worried. In 12 years I have run 18 half marathons and that was part of the reason I was like, that other swim/bike stuff? I can totally learn that- that run thing, I've got that down...well damn now it's rearing up in front of me...LOL. I know I will finish. The question is how will I feel at the end. HA

Just turned 42 on Saturday so now I'm the answer to the universe, though we don't know the question.

Friday- 45 mile ride entirely contained in NYC- including 8 shortened park laps where it was 90 in the shade. 30 minute "easy" transition run. HA HA HA it was not easy and I almost walked and my HR was a million bpm.....

Saturday - OFF but hosted 13 people for an outside grilling thing and made a cake and cleaned the whole house. Is that still "off"

Sunday- 7 mile run and it was HUMID AF but not really so hot. Hallejulah.

Yesterday- biggest swim workout yet- 3000y. I remember when I couldn't string together two lengths, never mind a LAP, and was in TEARS in the pool. So starting to get the hang of it is such an enormous mental milestone...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi folks!

SoCal, wow, I'm so intrigued and impressed with your experience as a guide! It seems like such an interesting thing, to share a race in that way. I imagine you took some time to get to know the athlete and how she communicates. How cool!

Cupcake--I'm sorry to hear about your hormone challenges. I really hope you get to keep training.

Last week I was struggling with work and some dastardly headaches, so I missed a swim, a strength, and an easy ride. I got it together by the end of the week, but the heat wave hit and then I struggled during my long run. I could have escaped to a treadmill at the gym, but I thought it'd be good for me to work through the heat. Also treadmills are the worst. I'm still playing around with electorlytes and such--I think I might try the pills when it gets over 80 degrees or so.

Anyway, the other thing hampering my week was the absolute OVERLOAD of cuteness in my house. At one point we had 4 kids, including a newborn, as well as my 14-year-old deaf, blind shih tzu. Then on a run, I heard a little mewing and wound up bringing an 8-week-old ginger kitten into the mix. He's sitting on my lap right now, making himself at home. Anybody want him? We can't keep him--my husband's pretty allergic.

This week its:

M: Strength and swim
T: short run and tempo bike
W: strength and swim
Th: short bike and hill repeat run
F: rest
S: Brick with long bike
Su: Long run and swim

Formerly GiantNewb, but not such a newb anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 22 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
Let's do it! Then we can spend the next 405 days commiserating with each other.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Race is sold out. 2021? Also - the fact that you counted the number of days makes me think you were more serious than you let on...
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 22 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I kept pulling up the registration page all day long.

Dan and I seriously considered it last night (he was being egged on by some triathlete colleagues) but the accommodation situation in Penticton was dire so we closed the laptop and went to bed. We were also looking at Long Course Weekend Wales and Jervis Bay as possible fun things for next year.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? July 22 Edition [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your day SDCali, hopefully we can find each other at a future local race. I found SLOGoing because of her Slowtwitch kit a few years ago :D

Congrats on your hot, hot finish Dr. C

And thanks to all for the encouragement on guiding, I definitely recommend the experience and will do it again.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, everyone. Last week was OK. I did three trainer rides and three runs, but only one weights video as "extra" -- no PT, yoga, etc. Blech. It was also super hot so I stayed indoors most of Friday and Saturday, when I usually try to run and ride outside. My running is coming back, though, which I consider a victory. We are doing our usual summer 5K in a couple of weeks and it will be good to get out there again.

Even though we increased one of my thyroid meds last week I had a low blood sugar episode Saturday that took me out for much of the afternoon. It's maddening that I still can't seem to get a handle on this. Luckily I was feeling better within a few hours and had a good time with friends that night and a good day Sunday, so not all was lost. I also spent a good couple of hours in the garden on Sunday, good for both my soul and my tomatoes. =)

SoCal, what an awesome experience for you and your athlete! Amazing job.
Dr_C, sorry to hear your hormone issues are still causing issues. Hoping you get some answers tomorrow. And congrats on your race!
Scheherazade, sorry to hear about the meltdown (figuratively and literally with the heat?). Hope you are staying cool!
Edbikebabe, the rides, deck, and ice cream all sound amazing!
SDCali, congrats on your race, too!
YoMoGo, awesome training, and happy birthday!
GiantNewb, oh my goodness, what a week! Glad you are feeling better and enjoying kitten snuggles, even if he can't be a long-term resident.

Scheherazade and Edbikebabe, come do something in the Midwest and I'll cheer you on!

This week has been a struggle so far. Work has been really stressful and it is probably time to move on, but finding the time to actually put that in action has been difficult. I'm tired and everyone and everything annoys me. I hate to wish away days of my life but I am really looking forward to some downtime this weekend.

Hope you all are having a great week!

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply