Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21
Quote | Reply
Other interesting facts 1) sprint distance needs qualification and 2) Those who qualified this year can sign up in Cleveland for next year

https://www.teamusa.org/...ilwaukee-for-2020-21
Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Key words —cool clean water and a breakwall. I say hallelujah!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didnt bother going back to Cleveland this year after the disaster of the swim in 2018 and I am usually not a course snob. Happy its in a decent location this year but will be eager to learn more from those who raced previously.
Last edited by: Hingus: Jul 22, 19 10:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hubcaps wrote:
Other interesting facts 1) sprint distance needs qualification and 2)
Those who qualified this year can sign up in Cleveland for next year

https://www.teamusa.org/...ilwaukee-for-2020-21

That statement needs to be clarified (from the release)

Exclusive Qualification Opportunities for 2019 Age Group National Championships Participants:

• All qualification criteria for the 2020 Toyota USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships (sprint- and Olympic-distance) will be waived for 2019 Age Group Nationals participants who register during Tier 1 pricing, which is only offered onsite at the 2019 event in Cleveland. This option opens on Aug. 8 and is only available until the conclusion of the event. Registration will be located in the expo area at the race venue.

• All participants in the sprint-distance race at the 2019 Age Group National Championships, to be held Aug. 11 in Cleveland, will automatically qualify for the 2020 Sprint National Championships. This special, one-time qualification opportunity will not apply in future years.

USAT has been pushing Cleveland. I wonder it registration is down. I know I'm not returning because I was turned off by last year's race (although, admittedly, some of the issues have been addressed).
Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [Hingus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Milwaukee is a great location. I live in Madison and was a bit skeptical but raced there the last year it was there and was impressed with everything
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone had good things to say about the Milwaukee as a host. Though I'm bummed as this means the earliest we could see a Mountain or West Coast time zone location will be 2022 which would be 14 years since the last one (Portland in 2008).

But I guess I can see USAT's decision to keep the race in the midwest for 9 years in a row. Split the difference between the two coasts in hopes of getting the best turnout they can.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced there two out of the three years between '13 and '15 and it was great! Kudos to the City of Milwaukee they seem to really appreciate us using their venue and I have felt very welcome there. The water was great, the swim under the walking bridge was cool, especially for spectators. The mayor was out there in '15 with some nice words to say, showing his appreciation for all the participants and we even had skydivers! I'll never forget that mass start from '14 where the M45-49 AG had 220 swimmers! And that wasn't the largest AG that year.
Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any chance of their being an off-road championship there? Or is that only Xterra in Maui?
Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The off road nationals was in Waco Texas in early June.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Its 5,789 registrants in 2014 remains an Age Group National Championships record." That seems to be the key sentence in the entire article. However, I'm not complaining since I live in the midwest.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRugby wrote:
"Its 5,789 registrants in 2014 remains an Age Group National Championships record." That seems to be the key sentence in the entire article. However, I'm not complaining since I live in the midwest.

I think that had as much to do with worlds being in Chicago in 2015 than it did with nationals being in Milwaukee. I do think Milwaukee's race location is better than Cleveland's primarily because of the swim location. Put the swim in Cleveland within the breakwall near the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and I don't see a lot of difference between the two locations.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 22, 19 14:58
Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
The off road nationals was in Waco Texas in early June.

2020? I can travel to Wi but not Tx.
Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [Hingus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hingus wrote:
Didnt bother going back to Cleveland this year after the disaster of the swim in 2018 and I am usually not a course snob. Happy its in a decent location this year but will be eager to learn more from those who raced previously.

Same. That swim was a joke. The swells were ridiculous, I think the water was calmer for the ocean beach start at Oceanside this year than lake Erie was last year. Decided not to bother with Cleveland again because of that. Not to mention I got an eye infection from that nasty water. I'd absolutely go race in MKE.
Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [spectrum5825] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was a joke about? Because it was swells and hard or anything in particular?!?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems a lot of reasons numbers are down, and I dont think it has anything to do with where worlds are being held. I remember doing Burlington, and I think they had nearly 5k in both races even then. It's pretty clear, either you put it at a destination that people can somewhat like, and dont fuck with the courses, and dont just rely on races that can pony up the ridiculous $30k site fee, or you will just lose more on the back end in numbers..

So where is the draft legal sprint going to be for AG'ers? From what I understand, the non draft sprint qualifies you for nothing anymore, so that could be some of the problem too..
Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By my watch it was pretty damn close to a 70.3 distance so it was also long..maybe I swam a bad line...but my GPS file doesn't show me way off course or anything like that. I also I seem to recall it took FOREVER to get everyone in the water. Granted this is the nature of big races, but the first groups essentially had a flat lake to swim it, and by the time the later groups got it it was pretty rough water.

Maybe I am just being soft..but that swim was not fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Seems a lot of reasons numbers are down, and I dont think it has anything to do with where worlds are being held. I remember doing Burlington, and I think they had nearly 5k in both races even then. It's pretty clear, either you put it at a destination that people can somewhat like, and dont fuck with the courses, and dont just rely on races that can pony up the ridiculous $30k site fee, or you will just lose more on the back end in numbers..

So where is the draft legal sprint going to be for AG'ers? From what I understand, the non draft sprint qualifies you for nothing anymore, so that could be some of the problem too..

In 2019, the Cleveland Sprint is giving 8 slots for Worlds. The separate the DL Sprint (which is in Tempe AZ on 11/16) is giving the remaining 10. I haven't heard anything about a change for next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In 2019, the Cleveland Sprint is giving 8 slots for Worlds. The separate the DL Sprint (which is in Tempe AZ on 11/16) is giving the remaining 10. I haven't heard anything about a change for next year. //

So as I understand it, worlds in the sprint is draft legal, and you are saying they are giving slots to that race in the non draft sprint? I always liked having two qualifiers for worlds, but probably should be the format that we will actually be racing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of the 30+ races I've spectated at across the globe from all different brands of race companies in the last 6 years, MKE was in the top 2-3 venues hands down.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
In 2019, the Cleveland Sprint is giving 8 slots for Worlds. The separate the DL Sprint (which is in Tempe AZ on 11/16) is giving the remaining 10. I haven't heard anything about a change for next year. //

So as I understand it, worlds in the sprint is draft legal, and you are saying they are giving slots to that race in the non draft sprint? I always liked having two qualifiers for worlds, but probably should be the format that we will actually be racing...

Correct. It's been that way for the last three years. I shudder at the thought of Sprint Nationals being draft legal (see the "necessary bike handling skills thread"). Maybe adding the qualifier requirement is the first step, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know what I shudder at, was going to worlds year after year and it being basically draft legal, and with full on Tri bikes!!! I like that they just threw in the towel, and everyone on road bikes just makes it pretty manageable. I'm actually getting interested again in nationals and worlds now that they got rid of the premise that their races was actually non drafting. At least you go in knowing you dont have to cheat to get a good place..

Looking forward to Tempe, it is a spot I can drive to pretty comfortably, and it shouldn't be Africa hot in November. It actually could be 95 or 55 degrees that time of year, but at least the floor on temps is more to my liking, even for a sprint..
Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
TriRugby wrote:

I think that had as much to do with worlds being in Chicago in 2015 than it did with nationals being in Milwaukee. I do think Milwaukee's race location is better than Cleveland's primarily because of the swim location. Put the swim in Cleveland within the breakwall near the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and I don't see a lot of difference between the two locations.

2014 was also about when triathlon participation was at its most recent peak nationwide.

That said, Milwaukee showed it could host a good race in the pat so probably a safe choice for USAT

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:

Correct. It's been that way for the last three years. I shudder at the thought of Sprint Nationals being draft legal (see the "necessary bike handling skills thread"). Maybe adding the qualifier requirement is the first step, though.

I doubt adding the qualifier requirement to non draft legal sprint nationals is a step toward making the sprint race held the day after Oly/standard nationals draft legal down the road. The lack of interest in the draft legal nationals to this point indicates that current U.S. athletes have little interest in that format. I think they kept 8 Team USA spots (and available roll downs) for the draft legal worlds at the non draft legal sprint national championship to boost numbers and because many of USAT's most avid supporters are our talented peers who regularly qualify for Team USA in short course events and want to be able to race both Oly and sprint at worlds. It's easier when you can qualify for both in one weekend at nationals needing only a tri bike.

It will be interesting to see if interest in draft legal tri grows or declines in the U.S. when the draft legal sprint distance worlds breaks off from Oly/standard worlds beginning in 2022 -https://www.triathlon.org/...d_triathlon_sprint_r
Chemist wrote:

2014 was also about when triathlon participation was at its most recent peak nationwide.

That said, Milwaukee showed it could host a good race in the past so probably a safe choice for USAT

Good points. I certainly enjoyed racing there in 2014.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jul 23, 19 8:41
Quote Reply
Re: Nationals back to Milwaukee for 2020-21 [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Out of the 30+ races I've spectated at across the globe from all different brands of race companies in the last 6 years, MKE was in the top 2-3 venues hands down.

MKE was certainly a good venue. I spectated in 14 and participated in 15. I haven't been around the world like you, but Cedar Pointe was another one that surprised me for a venue back in the Challenge days. Fantastic beach with good water, frou-frou accomodations on site if desired, loads of cheap hotels within 5-10 minutes, a lot of the run along the harbor, easy and abundant parking, and of course...an amusement park on site. If it weren't for the bombed out road in and out of the park (that was 2014 or 2015, so maybe that's changed), it would have been nearly perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great. Milwaukee was awesome.
Quote Reply

Prev Next