Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what the point is of keeping the tier system for Penticton if it sells out immediately once registration is open to the public.The tier system is supposed to motivate people to sign up sooner so Ironman gets your money sooner.

"It's Ironman - it's supposed to be hard!"

Author of "Letters to a Driving Nation: Exploring the Conflict between Drivers and Cyclists." http://www.brucebutler.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [triguy1981] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy1981 wrote:
Doesn’t seem like there is a 70.3 Canada anymore. At least it’s not mentioned at all for 2020
They still have Victoria.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumour has it, Victoria is getting moved to an earlier date.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy1981 wrote:

Later?

Beginning of June is pretty early for that race already.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriClub and IRONMAN Florida athletes will receive priority entry starting on Friday, July 19.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...n.aspx#ixzz5txddxZ5L

I can kinda understand TriClubs getting priority entry, but why would IM Florida athletes get it as well?

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was part of an incentive offered in the last month or two to encourage IM Florida sign-up.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
triguy1981 wrote:

Later?

Maurice

Agree, would be strange to move it earlier, but even later would conflict with Coeur d'Alene, I think? unless they move Victoria to the last weekend in July spot that Whistler currently has

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
No, it's at tier 2 because AWA registration opened this morning

obviously. i was kinda joking

I see people on the facebook page saying its up to Tier 3 now
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i got a Tier 1 this am (~9:20 ET)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I showed up in person and got a tier 1 spot :p

Glad I don't have to wait!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it in 2009, and absolutely LOVED it!! Great city, great course, great people, and I got to hear "Oh Canada....." at the banquet dinner. I would go back in 2020 in a second. Just please include Richter Pass and Yellow Lake on the bike course to keep it challenging. Oh, and yes the last 10 miles back to town on the massive downhill highway/interstate, where you easily hit 50mph and pass the cars. Fun times!!!!

From what I have seen it looks like the original single loop swim and bike will be the plan for 2020 when IMC returns to Penticton. The run is TBA - my gut tells me they will go with a 2 loop run that will have them weave around a bit in Town for more spectator interaction. That's fine - I liked the Run Out-and-Back to OK Falls - but keeping it in town with more spectator interaction, less volunteers needed etc . . is a win/win, and that I'm personally fine with.

Some of the discussion on the Facebook page dedicated to the return has been getting VERY nostalgic ( "They better do this" . . "They better do that" . . "It won't be IMC in Penticton with out this . .") . .. - and that is completely understood and OK. That nostalgia will be a BIG and important part of the return to Penticton. However, it's important to keep in mind that IMC was last in Penticton in 2012. The sport, and perhaps more importantly the business of the event management side of the sport is VERY different than it was 7 years ago! Everyone will need to go into this with an open mind and keep expectations in check!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jul 18, 19 13:28
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m in!
Where should I book hotel?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
triguy1981 wrote:

Later?

Maurice

Thinking about this again, Victoria was announced as a Women For Tri race with extra 25 slot to Taupo, so it can't be any later than June. I doubt they would move it later in June without making a change to Coeur d'Alene as well, so perhaps he was right about it being earlier, if only by a week or two?

Either way, I am anxious about this because I am really hoping it is June 7th or 14th such that I can race it after coming back from Hawai'i 70.3.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who else is in?
Judging from facebook posts, lots of old timers are coming out of retirement. This first year back in Penticton should draw a pretty good crowd of racers.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [test] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got mine in this morning!
It will be my first full distance
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [test] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
test wrote:
Who else is in?
Judging from facebook posts, lots of old timers are coming out of retirement. This first year back in Penticton should draw a pretty good crowd of racers.

I've done the Penticton IMC twice, in 2002 and again in 2012. I had hopes of doing it every ten years as kind of an excuse to stay in shape. When the race moved to Whistler I completely gave up on that idea since its not very convenient. I'm a local "Cawston" athlete so I enjoy the outandback section the most, riding by my house. Now that Pen has the race back, seriously thinking about doing it again in 2022. I sold my bike though and don't want to spend much money so thinking of just going really old school. No wetsuit, cheap 10 speed bike, etc. Good times.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Penticton Lakeside Resort is right by the swim start, the nicest that is right near the start. It is also the most expensive. There are other places along Lakeshore drive that are just as close and probably a few bucks cheaper.

I'd book soon if I were you. I called last week and the lady at Lakeside Resort said the phone had been ringing off the hook all day after the announcement. All of the cheaper rooms were already sold out.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [trutch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx. That’s exactly where I booked. 2 rooms.
This will be my 7th IM and I have to say I am most excited for.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [trutch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where does everyone fly into?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Penticton has an airport (YYF) but I almost always fly in and out of Kelowna (YLW) and sometimes Vancouver (YVR). The drive is about 70 minutes from YLW and about 4 hours from Vancouver.

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Symonds wrote:
Penticton has an airport (YYF) but I almost always fly in and out of Kelowna (YLW) and sometimes Vancouver (YVR). The drive is about 70 minutes from YLW and about 4 hours from Vancouver.

Hey are you racing IMC Penticton next year?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep! Because I grew up Penticton, racing here and doing well motivates me on a even deeper level than Kona. It's the one I go to bed and wake up dreaming about. There is also a huge contingent of awesome locals already signed up for 2020 and I want to be a part of the year long journey building towards it! And hen I say locals I am talking about the Pentictonites and also the amazing people I have met along the way from other parts of Western Canada.

I'll figure out Kona after. But between now and then I'll focus on keeping the rubber side down and my collarbones in one piece! ;)

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Symonds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Symonds wrote:
Yep! Because I grew up Penticton, racing here and doing well motivates me on a even deeper level than Kona. It's the one I go to bed and wake up dreaming about. There is also a huge contingent of awesome locals already signed up for 2020 and I want to be a part of the year long journey building towards it! And hen I say locals I am talking about the Pentictonites and also the amazing people I have met along the way from other parts of Western Canada.

I'll figure out Kona after. But between now and then I'll focus on keeping the rubber side down and my collarbones in one piece! ;)

Well we are cheering for you....it will be 9 years after you podium'd with Crowie and Kienle at 70.3's worlds Vegas so no doubt you can figure out Kona, but winning at home will be awesome. My first Ironman was IMC 1991 Penticton. Just starting jogging and biking again after 4 years of my own sets of accidents etc and just did my first Olympic tri in 4 years 2 weeks ago. Sticking to Olympics but having an eye on Penticton 2021 which would be the 30 year date for a rendez vous. Hopefully by then you are defending champion.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if you would try and come back for this race Dev, I never thought the race would come back to Penticton, I thought it was all just a memory of glory days, I also said that Whistler this year would be my last full distance race, but then the link for priority entrance came.... I imagine there will be a good crowd there next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada coming back to Penticton? [Woodchuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, we in the local (Penticton) area are all chipping in somewhere between 20 & 25 $ to bubble wrap Jeff S for the months of June, July, and the first part of August next year so he is able to make it to the START line of the 2020 Penticton Ironman Canada race uninjured.

All contributions will be gratefully accepted. Based on his face and his pace yesterday during the Peach Classic tri, the dude is back!

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply

Prev Next