Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods
Quote | Reply
Just saw this in a news feed today:
The Atlanta-based airline (Delta) said Tuesday it would remove the special checked bag fee for sporting goods.
As of Tuesday, passengers will no longer have to pay an extra $150 specialty sports bag fee if they bring sporting equipment onto a flight. Instead, customers can now check sporting equipment as part of their standard baggage allowance and will pay a normal checked bag fee.
That would possibly make a difference in carrier choice for some triathletes. Hopefully (but unlikely) other carriers will follow Delta's lead.

On a humorous note, we were considering changing the date of the reservations we made months ago for our trip from SFO to Nice 70.3 WC. Plugged in the new dates on the airline's web site. Not counting the fee for reservations change, the new price for two Business Class round trip tickets on that date would be approximately $21,000. I think we'll stick with what we have!
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
American Airlines made this change earlier this year. So Delta is actually following their lead.

I'm still waiting for all the airlines to follow Virgin Atlantic where sporting equipment flies free.
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimule wrote:
Just saw this in a news feed today:
The Atlanta-based airline (Delta) said Tuesday it would remove the special checked bag fee for sporting goods.
As of Tuesday, passengers will no longer have to pay an extra $150 specialty sports bag fee if they bring sporting equipment onto a flight. Instead, customers can now check sporting equipment as part of their standard baggage allowance and will pay a normal checked bag fee.
That would possibly make a difference in carrier choice for some triathletes. Hopefully (but unlikely) other carriers will follow Delta's lead.

On a humorous note, we were considering changing the date of the reservations we made months ago for our trip from SFO to Nice 70.3 WC. Plugged in the new dates on the airline's web site. Not counting the fee for reservations change, the new price for two Business Class round trip tickets on that date would be approximately $21,000. I think we'll stick with what we have![/quote

Business Class, fancy.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What will the excess baggage fee be though for having a large bag (bike bag)? They may just be replacing one fee with another!

instagram.com/42pointtwo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is good news for those of us living in Delta hub cities! This changes my planning for races next year and where to go!
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Straight from the Delta website:

Bicycles

Bicycles, non-motorized touring or single seat racing, are allowed as checked baggage on most flights, with the exception of certain Delta Connection® carriers.

Standard baggage allowance and fees based on cabin and travel region apply
Bicycles weighing over 50 lbs. will be charged the applicable excess weight fee
If the outside linear dimensions (length + width + height) exceed 115 linear inches (292 cm) or exceeds 100 lbs, the item will not be accepted
Items in excess of baggage allowance will be subject to additional or overweight baggage fees
A limited liability release form must be signed by the passenger in the case that the bike is not properly packed
If the bicycle is packaged in a hard shell case specifically designed for transporting bicycles, then a limited release form is not required
If the bicycle is packaged in a soft sided travel bag or anything other than a hard shell case, a limited release form will need to be signed
Delta is not responsible for damage noted at the time of check in or damage due to over packing the bag.
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This can’t be good for TBT. In the past, the TBT fee usually was cheaper than paying Delta for a two way trip, plus very convenient. Now as a Delta medallion member, it’s free. Makes the slight aggravation of reassembling the bike worthwhile.
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:
What will the excess baggage fee be though for having a large bag (bike bag)? They may just be replacing one fee with another!

My experience mainly is with a scicon aerocomfort bag, which is on the larger side for a bike bag. If its under 50 pounds there are no additional fees. I have never had the size questioned only the weight. I have always paid the standard bike fee which has been anywhere from $0 to $150.

I'm flying American on Friday with my gravel bike in an Evoc bag. I'll report back if I have any issues, but I expect it to be accepted with no additional charges.
Last edited by: j.shanney: Jul 17, 19 18:00
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j.shanney wrote:
American Airlines made this change earlier this year. So Delta is actually following their lead.

I'm still waiting for all the airlines to follow Virgin Atlantic where sporting equipment flies free.

These policy changes just sound like they are matching united s policy that had been in place for almost three past decade. The key is most bike bags or boxes are over 62 linear inches so you end up paying the 100 or 150 fee instead of it counting like a regular checked bag. They've always considered skis or golf clubs as standard. I remember reading conrad stoltz writing about doing a custom bike pack to get the bike to be smaller than 62 inches by basically using two boxes. These days that doesn't help much unless you get one of those free instead of paying 50 for each checked bag. Im not sure there is a hard case out there that is under 62 linear inches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will get you with the oversize. This is to simplify their systems as will not have all those little categories. They Don’t care what it is but if over 50 lbs and/or over their linear inch limit then overweight/oversize apply. United did this. Flat bike fee was $150. EVOC bag is $200. United employee says this is so they won’t need staff at baggage check - just use the contractors and flyers can self check. Flew to Spain through London on British Airways and split trip on connection. Only had to pay £80 for bike as extra bag between Gatwick and Bilbao. Flew to Colorado and it cost $400 on United - and I am a million mile flyer with them so status does not help.

The real benefit is if you can break the bike down to a container under the linear inches then they do not count it as a “bike” so the bike fee would not apply.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [Bioteknik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, but I agree with the above post that I’ve never been questioned about the size of the bag - only the weight.

I use a Pika Packworks (soft shell) and it’s very much like a suitcase, so I have never been questioned when I use that one.

Additionally, when I use a hard case, I usually just say it’s a wheelchair and skip the fee. I would say it’s about a 70% success rate.

As of late, I have been using BikeFlights and I much prefer that if you don’t mind not having your bike for a few days before the race or travel destination. :)

While the new initiative by Delta isn’t exactly revolutionary, it is a good step in the right direction...
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep way I read it as well. The linear inch is 62 inches so my guess is that will trigger the fees for most bikes/cases.

Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [onceatriathlet3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
onceatriathlet3 wrote:
True, but I agree with the above post that I’ve never been questioned about the size of the bag - only the weight.

I use a Pika Packworks (soft shell) and it’s very much like a suitcase, so I have never been questioned when I use that one.

Additionally, when I use a hard case, I usually just say it’s a wheelchair and skip the fee. I would say it’s about a 70% success rate.

As of late, I have been using BikeFlights and I much prefer that if you don’t mind not having your bike for a few days before the race or travel destination. :)

While the new initiative by Delta isn’t exactly revolutionary, it is a good step in the right direction...

Lol! The agent I talked to said that one of the reasons for the change is people were not being honest about it being a bike to avoid fees. So easy to go by weight and measurements - don’t care what your shopping. Golf clubs and skis pretty easy to not look like a bike.

Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [Quo Vadimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol 110% me. Things I’ve said my bike is:
1. Wheelchair
2. I’m a phys graduate student, and it’s my ergometer for my dissertation.
3. I’m an art student, and it’s my easel and art equipment.
4. I’m a carbon manufacturer, and I’m on a sales trip, and these are my samples.
5. I’m a band equipment manager, and this is the band’s equipment.
6. I’m a news reporter, and it’s a camera and news equipment.
7. I’m a professional gamer, and it’s my gaming equipment.

There might be more, but that’s all I can think of. Haha

A lot of times they’d ask me to open it, so I started locking it and told them I didn’t have the key because my “boss” has it at my destination. They technically can’t open it, only TSA can. I suppose they could go get TSA, but no one has ever done that.
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [Quo Vadimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quo Vadimus wrote:
Yep way I read it as well. The linear inch is 62 inches so my guess is that will trigger the fees for most bikes/cases.

Read it again. Over 115 linear inches or over 50lbs. Basically any bike box pretty much fits this as long as you don't over stuff it.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
Quo Vadimus wrote:

Read it again. Over 115 linear inches or over 50lbs. Basically any bike box pretty much fits this as long as you don't over stuff it.

I had my husband go measure one of our bike boxes (BikeBox Alan which is a big hard case). And it was 37 inches high and 48 inches long. Way below the requirement. Most bike cases should be fine.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not what it says. Anything over 115 will not be allowed at all. Anything bigger than standard size can be subject to oversize fee.
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:
Quo Vadimus wrote:

I had my husband go measure one of our bike boxes (BikeBox Alan which is a big hard case). And it was 37 inches high and 48 inches long. Way below the requirement. Most bike cases should be fine.

Yep, at this point it is just keeping the weight down. That can be tough for hard cases, but should be doable.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the more accurate measurements of our hard case (which I think is standard as I haven't seen other hard cases bigger than ours when flying to a race) are:

Length: 45 inches
Height: 38 inches
Width: 14 inches

Total: 97 Linear inches

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am happy to be wrong but per their website excess baggage fees are related to weight and dimension. I just don’t want people to show up and pay hundreds of dollars because they think airlines felt magnanimous and decided shipping thousands of dollars of bike equipment suddenly became low risk and was a competitive advantage for growth.

https://www.delta.com/...our-trip/excess.html

I agree, when the flat fee was $150 it was all about the weight. They waved the oversize for sports equipment and would only charge additional if over 50 lbs.

At least with United, once the bike fee was “dropped” the tape measures came out.

If the company employee at the desk checks you in without charging you, bonus, as sometimes even they don’t know the rules. However, I suspect there will be fewer and fewer company staff working baggage and will be outsourced even more, and when you do that you want simple rules. Weighs more than this, charge this amount. Measures more than this, charge this amount. Golf clubs and skis, you’re good.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is perfect timing for me, as the BF and I are flying on Delta to France tomorrow with our bikes. One bike has couplers and is in a regulation-sized (i.e. not oversized) suitcase and weights just under 50 pounds. The second is in a BikeBox Alan and also weighs under 50 pounds. If we do get charged or run into any trouble, I'll report back here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quo Vadimus wrote:
I am happy to be wrong but per their website excess baggage fees are related to weight and dimension. I just don’t want people to show up and pay hundreds of dollars because they think airlines felt magnanimous and decided shipping thousands of dollars of bike equipment suddenly became low risk and was a competitive advantage for growth.

I agree, when the flat fee was $150 it was all about the weight. They waved the oversize for sports equipment and would only charge additional if over 50 lbs.

At least with United, once the bike fee was “dropped” the tape measures came out.

If the company employee at the desk checks you in without charging you, bonus, as sometimes even they don’t know the rules. However, I suspect there will be fewer and fewer company staff working baggage and will be outsourced even more, and when you do that you want simple rules. Weighs more than this, charge this amount. Measures more than this, charge this amount. Golf clubs and skis, you’re good.

I don't want you to be right but I believe you are definitely right.

"CHECKED BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE EACH WAY:
BAGGAGE SIZE MUST NOT EXCEED 62 INCHES (157 CM) WHEN YOU TOTAL LENGTH + WIDTH + HEIGHT"

I guess the bike publications are making a big deal out of this because on the surface it seems very customer oriented, but drilling down it seems like nothing has actually changed. The only case that is sort of within those guidelines (but not really, ever, if a ticket agent actually measures it the logical way) is the Hen House.

Further, American Airlines actually appears to be the leader in this category. Their baggage policy actually DOES appear to be bicycle friendly.

"Standard checked bag fees of your destination apply up to 50 lbs / 23 kgs and 126 in / 320 cm (length + width + height) or $150 fee applies from 51 lbs / 23 kgs to 70 lbs / 32 kgs"
Last edited by: jkhayc: Jul 18, 19 8:56
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Quo Vadimus wrote:

I don't want you to be right but I believe you are definitely right.

"CHECKED BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE EACH WAY:
BAGGAGE SIZE MUST NOT EXCEED 62 INCHES (157 CM) WHEN YOU TOTAL LENGTH + WIDTH + HEIGHT"

I guess the bike publications are making a big deal out of this because on the surface it seems very customer oriented, but drilling down it seems like nothing has actually changed. The only case that is sort of within those guidelines (but not really, ever, if a ticket agent actually measures it the logical way) is the Hen House.

As I said before, good luck getting a bag that is under 62 inches without using two different bags, or as posted above, having couplers to split the bike in two, or only fits a small sized road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iron Dukie wrote:
This is perfect timing for me, as the BF and I are flying on Delta to France tomorrow with our bikes. One bike has couplers and is in a regulation-sized (i.e. not oversized) suitcase and weights just under 50 pounds. The second is in a BikeBox Alan and also weighs under 50 pounds. If we do get charged or run into any trouble, I'll report back here.

From the articles I read the new policy applies to tickets purchased on or after July 17th, so unless you bought your tickets yesterday the old policy and $150 fee may still apply.

Hopefully you luck out and they follow the new policy.
Quote Reply
Re: Delta Airlines new baggage policy re: sporting goods [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL! I don’t want to be right either. When UA dropped the fee showed up and lady said, oh we don’t charge for those anymore, so rolled with it. On return, person at the desk was also confused and charged me $100. Flew a couple months later and the training and awareness had been spread. If all the airlines go to the same rules, then staffing contractors can just bid the whole airline or terminal and move people from carrier to carrier as demand dictates - especially if we pay all the fees on the app. From business standpoint totally makes sense.

Quote Reply

Prev Next